Graves Park Rats

i agree ,as kids we fished with bread ect,we through what was left of our sarnies ect all into the fishing pond,i also went round bocking lane woods and beuchief ponds ect and never saw a rat,so its becoming a huge problem and has serious problem with human health or even death,just hope SCC sort it  and the public are carefull as mr rat man and SCC cannot do it all by themselves and we can then enjoy this biggest park in shefield,but the main area must be the childrens area and the rose garden as thats where children are most at risk,just a question not seen anyone fish the ponds in years ,what no fish?

I like to see the rats. So do my grandkids. They're fascinated.

Saw a couple of them having a scuffle. Rolled in front of us in a ball. Looked like a cartoon fight. They rolled straight out of the trees, across the path, and into the water. Dogs just stood there, gobsmacked, as they couldn't believe what they'd just seen. 😀.  Neither could my wife & I. We had a right laugh over it. 

sorry you didnt see the health risk that they were in ,and are you not aware that the urine if in contact can kill ,especially children,i had a friend that died of this and trust me these cute vermin can end a persons life,just a warning,as i presume you were not aware.

On 20/09/2020 at 11:44, medusa said:

The problem with stopping feeding bread to the waterfowl has already been illustrated, with the number of birds simply starving to death once the bread stopped.  There is insufficient natural food for the number of birds in municipal parks, and the birds have had several generations of learning that food will be thrown to them by visitors so they have got less and less able to forage fully over the years anyway.

The advice not to feed bread has been rescinded because it is better than nothing, and very few people replaced the bread with more appropriate foods like peas, halved grapes or whatever, so the birds just starved.

Anyway, there are rats everywhere.  If you don't see them then they're doing a very good job at being out of your eye line, but they're still there.  We don't see them here most of the time, yet one of my cats seems to be able to find enough of them to bring several of them in a week (after he's killed them).  You are within 10 feet of a rat at pretty much every moment of your life.

Make that 2 feet, got 2 pet ones in a cage here.

On 23/09/2020 at 18:18, bassett one said:

sorry you didnt see the health risk that they were in ,and are you not aware that the urine if in contact can kill ,especially children,i had a friend that died of this and trust me these cute vermin can end a persons life,just a warning,as i presume you were not aware.

Do you mean weils disease, I'm sorry you know someone who died from it but it is pretty rare, I think less than 100 deaths per year.  It isnt just rats that carry it though, also cattle, pigs and dogs.

On 20/09/2020 at 11:44, medusa said:

You are within 10 feet of a rat at pretty much every moment of your life.

As my computerchair is about 10 ft away from her that should be obeyed's fav setee i'm sure she would agree - lol  🐹

yes weils disease ,thats the one didnt realise other animals had or could spread this ,only heard of rats,but whatever its not just graves park,its other parks ,from what i can gather and needs sorting asap ,working with scc and the public,it needs to be sorted and the public need to be aware,especially around the rose garden area.

Not sure why nothing has been done over the years to keep the rat population down in Graves Park, it's been crawling with them for over 10 Years.  I think they have been more noticeable recently because during the lockdown people were spending more time in the park's.  My husband used to deliver to the cafe there in the morning's and he would see rats all over the place and that was years ago.  I won't go there anymore and I don't think it's a good place for children to be playing.  It needs sorting one way or another but don't think the poison boxes are much good.

i hope this problem,so i can visit sheffield biggest park again with my wife,also not seen any one fish either pond recently,have the fish gone as well?

if you are that worried about being near a rat you probably shouldn't go to any park, or city, or near anyone that feeds the birds in their garden, they are everywhere!

its not that,its they are running out in front of you at graves park and seem to be very visible,unlike other places,i have no doubt they are at many other parks ect,but at least they have not been visible and running riot,saw a programe the other day on london ,but the man went out and killed the lot in 2 weeks with his poision boxs,swept up and left.

I worked as a Park Keeper at Graves Park in the 1960's and  can honestly say that I never saw a single rat in my time there.

I am not claiming that there weren't any,  but simply that I never saw one which is quite surprising when I was there 8 hours or more a day and we worked on Saturdays and Sundays too.

We have also worked through the night along with Police officers to try to catch vandals who were smashing the rowing boats on a regular basis and still didn't see any.

There were a surprising number of bats though.