Jump to content
We’re excited to announce the forum is under new management! Click here for details.

Jackfruit? does anyone know what to do with it, or how to use it? rd

Recommended Posts

I bought a tin of Jackfruit in Aldi today.  I bought it because it sounded interesting and because it was very cheap, but it was only after I got home with it that I realised that I have no idea what the hell  to do with it.... or how to use it. There are no instructions on the tin whatsoever! Has anyone ever tried or cooked with Jackfruit?  Aby ideas will be gratefully received! x

Edited by FIRETHORN1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve never heard of it before.  Next time I go to Aldi I’ll look out for it.  It will be interesting to see if you get any replies.  You might get one from Taxman he’s well up on trying new things.
 

 If not open the tin and have a taste and let us know how you go on.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/uk/food/a30563792/what-is-jackfruit/

It occasionally has a savoury whiff, but this doesn’t affect the flavour. Young, unripe green jackfruit – usually found in tins - isn’t sweet and has a neutral taste (if you’ve ever eaten a tinned artichoke heart straight from the can, it’s a bit like that).

This version is best cooked into a savoury recipe with plenty of spices and seasoning to pep it up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

google will provide you with tens of millions of things to do with a jackfruit.

 

i seems to think morrisons sells plastic pouches of it, not sure if its any different to the tinned though.

 

here's some from the bbc

 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/jackfruit

 

Edited by andyofborg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for your advice everyone!   

 

Well, I've now given the tinned jackfruit a try. When you open the tin, it smells  faintly like over-ripe fruit or veg.  Not a nasty smell at all - just a bit like when you open the fruit/veg/salad drawer in the fridge and there's something in there that's going ever so slightly past it's best.  To look at, it looks a bit like finely shredded pulled pork and when tasted straight from the can, it tasted of nowt at all - just like bland, soft shreds of something vegetable-ish in slightly sweet/slightly salty water.  I made my usual lentil and mixed vegetable curry and added the tin of jackfruit to it. It added some bulk and unusual texture, but I can't say that it added much flavour. The nearest I can get to describing it is to say that,  in both taste and texture, it was a bit  like that that dried soya "substitute meat"  stuff that you can buy in health food shops.

 

Although there was nothing remotely unpleasant about it, I doubt that I'll be rushing out to buy tinned Jackfruit again.  On the plus side though, my veggie friend - who I cooked this curry for -  absolutely loved the curry I made with it....and it was very economical to make too!  The 400g tin of Jackfruit cost me 59p in Aldi .... so it was much, much cheaper than making the same curry with the equivalent quantity of meat, chicken, fish or shellfish!

 

 

Edited by FIRETHORN1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 20/09/2020 at 17:46, FIRETHORN1 said:

Thanks for your advice everyone!   

 

Well, I've now given the tinned jackfruit a try. When you open the tin, it smells  faintly like over-ripe fruit or veg.  Not a nasty smell at all - just a bit like when you open the fruit/veg/salad drawer in the fridge and there's something in there that's going ever so slightly past it's best.  To look at, it looks a bit like finely shredded pulled pork and when tasted straight from the can, it tasted of nowt at all - just like bland, soft shreds of something vegetable-ish in slightly sweet/slightly salty water.  I made my usual lentil and mixed vegetable curry and added the tin of jackfruit to it. It added some bulk and unusual texture, but I can't say that it added much flavour. The nearest I can get to describing it is to say that,  in both taste and texture, it was a bit  like that that dried soya "substitute meat"  stuff that you can buy in health food shops.

 

Although there was nothing remotely unpleasant about it, I doubt that I'll be rushing out to buy tinned Jackfruit again.  On the plus side though, my veggie friend - who I cooked this curry for -  absolutely loved the curry I made with it....and it was very economical to make too!  The 400g tin of Jackfruit cost me 59p in Aldi .... so it was much, much cheaper than making the same curry with the equivalent quantity of meat, chicken, fish or shellfish!

 

 

Would you mind sharing your veggie curry recipe Firethorn1?  I’m not a vegetarian but I don’t eat a lot of meat either.

 

At the moment I’m into lentils and I have googled a few simple recipes.  There is a spicy lentil recipe I’m going to try.  
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Hauxwell - happy to share my veggie curry recipe with you.  I sweat down a load of chopped onions in a bit of ghee or vegetable oil.  When translucent, I add a load of chopped garlic, ginger and fresh chillis and then I add a couple of tablespoons of curry paste and stir around for a minute or 2.  I make my own curry pastes and powders, but the store-bought versions are fine too. I then add a couple of hands-full of raw red lentils and some vegetable stock and simmer for about 20 mins  until the lentils are partially cooked. I then add a tin of chickpeas, a tin of coconut milk and cook for about another 20 mins. I then add all the veg. It's your choice what you use, but I tend to use chopped and cubed potatoes, carrots, aubergines, broccoli,  courgettes, butternut squash, sweet potatoes etc.   Then I just gently  simmer on the stove -top for a couple of hours . If you keep checking it - It's quite easy . If it looks a bit "wet", just turn up the heat and reduce it down a bit  - but if it looks a bit "dry", just add a bit of coconut milk, stock, water . ..or whatever.  This is a lovely veggie curry - I'm sure you'll enjoy it. 

Edited by FIRETHORN1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oops! Sorry Hauxwell,  just re-read my earlier post and saw that  I'd stupidly failed to include a tin of chopped tomatoes on the above recipe I gave you.  It's a bad oversight by me,  because I'm afraid that this curry would be quite bland without including the tomatoes. 

 

After you've sweated down the onions, garlic, ginger, then added the curry paste and cooked for a further couple of mins, that's the time to add a tin of chopped tomatoes and cook down for a few minutes until the juice has reduced & thickened a bit - then just follow the rest of the recipe above.  Apologies for my omission of such a vital ingredient when I sent you my recipe!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, FIRETHORN1 said:

Oops! Sorry Hauxwell,  just re-read my earlier post and saw that  I'd stupidly failed to include a tin of chopped tomatoes on the above recipe I gave you.  It's a bad oversight by me,  because I'm afraid that this curry would be quite bland without including the tomatoes. 

 

After you've sweated down the onions, garlic, ginger, then added the curry paste and cooked for a further couple of mins, that's the time to add a tin of chopped tomatoes and cook down for a few minutes until the juice has reduced & thickened a bit - then just follow the rest of the recipe above.  Apologies for my omission of such a vital ingredient when I sent you my recipe!

Thank you for sharing your recipe. It looks good and not to complicated.  I’m going to make a copy of it and I’ll  include the tomatoes.

I’ve been looking at a few recipes were you have to use curry paste but for now I will buy the shop bought ones,  I might have ago at making my own later on.  I’ll see how I get on with my veggie recipes first and if I like them.

So thank you once more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 27/09/2020 at 14:45, FIRETHORN1 said:

Oops! Sorry Hauxwell,  just re-read my earlier post and saw that  I'd stupidly failed to include a tin of chopped tomatoes on the above recipe I gave you.  It's a bad oversight by me,  because I'm afraid that this curry would be quite bland without including the tomatoes. 

 

I'm not sure it would be that bland. A lot would depend on how zingy you like it and how much spicey stuff you added.  

 

A neat alternative would be a bit of natural yoghurt or creme fraiche, maybe a spash of lemon, a couple of chopped fresh ripe tomatos. The beauty of this sort of recipe is that you can change a couple of things around the edges and get something totally different but equally tasty. 

 

It's the sort of thing you could experiment with and be fairly sure you would end up with something good at the end. I guess the risk is you make it too spicy for your taste. 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 27/09/2020 at 16:26, hauxwell said:

Thank you for sharing your recipe. It looks good and not to complicated.  I’m going to make a copy of it and I’ll  include the tomatoes.

I’ve been looking at a few recipes were you have to use curry paste but for now I will buy the shop bought ones,  I might have ago at making my own later on.  I’ll see how I get on with my veggie recipes first and if I like them.

So thank you once more.

I've made a korma paste based on the recipes here 

 

https://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/vegetable-recipes/easy-homemade-curry-pastes/

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, andyofborg said:

I've made a korma paste based on the recipes here 

 

https://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/vegetable-recipes/easy-homemade-curry-pastes/

 

 

 

 

 

Thank you for the paste recipes, when I get more adventurous I might have ago at making my own paste.

 

This is a spicy easy lentil recipe I’m going to make, if I have done the link okay.  I was thinking of adding ginger, garlic and just a little bit of chilli when the onions start to brown.  I do like spicy food.

 

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/easy-peasy-lentil-curry

 

I’m going to have ago at making FIRETHORNES1  veggie curry recipe it looks nice.

 

 I can’t say I’m a good cook, but I’ve picked up some nice recipes and tips on this thread over the years.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.