Lost Ww1 Medals

Hi all! 

I am looking for my great great uncle Sam’s WW1 British War Medal! I have seen that the medal was auctioned in March 2016 by the Sheffield auction gallery and remain hopeful that it is still somewhere in Sheffield/South Yorkshire! If anyone has any information at all or can help me in any way please feel free to contact me! 

My uncle Sams service details are as follows:

18504 Pte S. White, York and Lancaster Regt.

thank you everyone,

Kyle

Edited by KyleW96

Have you thought of writing to the new owner c/o the auctioneer and asking if they'd sell? Enclose a covering not to the auctioneer.

12 minutes ago, Hopman said:

Have you thought of writing to the new owner c/o the auctioneer and asking if they'd sell? Enclose a covering not to the auctioneer.

I have been in contact with the Sheffield auction gallery and subsequently sent a handwritten letter detailing my request. They’ve made me aware that they have found the buyer of my uncles medal and have forwarded my letter respectively. Hopefully I hear something back, however I will never know if the letter actually has been sent, it’s a matter of trust I suppose, but I really want to try and get this back..

thanks,

59 minutes ago, *Wallace* said:

I really hope you do get it back good luck Kyle.

Thank you for your kind words, I really hope so too.

you take care,

kyle

Hi Kyle - I also hope that you are able to get the medal back. My great-great-grandfather was awarded a Kaffir War medal which I have tried several times to locate, but have not yet found it - I hope your quest is more successful.

I imagine you have viewed or downloaded your great-great-uncles commemoration certificate, but in case you haven't here is a scan.

S-White-WW1-casualty.jpg

28 minutes ago, hillsbro said:

Hi Kyle - I also hope that you are able to get the medal back. My great-great-grandfather was awarded a Kaffir War medal which I have tried several times to locate, but have not yet found it - I hope your quest is more successful.

I imagine you have viewed or downloaded your great-great-uncles commemoration certificate, but in case you haven't here is a scan.

S-White-WW1-casualty.jpg

Hello,

thank you very much for this, we do have an original copy which has been posted out to family years back however this is nice for me to keep. I’m trying to get a story put in the Sheffield star so fingers crossed that can happen. Just a sucker blow when I’ve seen the medal online it’s just finding it that’s difficult!

thank you and take care

8 minutes ago, hillsbro said:

Hello again Kyle,

Glad to be able to help a little. Here is a link to the web page from which you can download a PDF of the certificate, and so perhaps print a slightly better copy.

https://www.cwgc.org/find-records/find-war-dead/casualty-details/607482/S WHITE/

Once again, thank you so much for this, it is really appreciated.  I can confirm the newspaper are putting an article in so hopefully I hear something back.

take care

14 hours ago, hillsbro said:

That's great - I'll look forward to reading "The Star"!

😀😀😀!!

NEWS ARTICLE IN THE STAR! PLEASE READ & HELP IF YOU CAN!

20 minutes ago, KyleW96 said:

NEWS ARTICLE IN THE STAR! PLEASE READ & HELP IF YOU CAN!

HOWEVER THERE HAS BEEN A TYPO IN SAMS DEATH DATE, FOR SOME REASON THE STAR STATES 14TH NOVEMBER WHEN IT WAS THE 4TH HE WAS KILLED

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.thestar.co.uk/news/people/appeal-find-fallen-sheffield-soldiers-great-war-medal-after-it-was-sold-auction-just-ps25-2975642%3famp