Jam Factory, The Palais

The best club night Sheffield ever had? Discuss. Anybody got any of the tapes?

My brother Solid State played there. I'll ask if he's got any tapes.

Discuss?

Well, yeah, it has to be well up the list!

My name is Solid State and I was the main Sheffield resident at the Jam Factory throughout its brief run from Sept 1991 to June 1992.

For those who don't recall this night, the other residents were Anwar and Green, Dave Seaman and Dave Ralph (Ralphy).

Anyway, I have one tape from The Jam Factory, dating from April 1992... it's of me (sorry, not Dave Seaman!)

I also have access to a tape of the April 92 Sasha appearance (provided my mate Rich still has it... a slightly long shot but you never know!)

There are also several tapes still existing of my Fantasy FM Saturday show, and several home mixes that are basically Jam Factory demo's.

Let me know if you are interested in copies of any of these.

PS I too would be interested to hear from others who have managed to hold onto Jam Factory or Fantasy FM tapes from the 1991-92 era.

... Is There Anybody Out There? :-)

The Jam factory was very good,but the best Sheffield club ever

I think not!!

In my opinion occasions(88-94) would take some beating,i've a few live tapes from it,but I would also be intested in the jam factory tapes as i was a reguler there too!!

What about Rise at the Leadmill, from about 1996 to 1999. Me and my mates still reckon that was the best night ever.

I think "rise"started in 94 around the same time as "love to be" at the music factory,had some good nights in rise,but perfered the M.F. as had better DJs and a more clued up and friendly crowd.

Must be up there for the most glamourous club in Sheffield:thumbsup:

Guest oldgreen
Originally posted by Society

Discuss?

My name is Solid State and I was the main Sheffield resident at the Jam Factory

Hey richard, they never told me that !!!....green.

BTW, I have NYE 91/92...."CJ's posse" on the microphone if you remember it.

Jam Factory was a great club but I was torn between Jam Factory & Occasions (Techno city) (around 1990 -1991)

Not heard the name Solidstate for a long time though nice to see your still around Sheffield!

I remember techno city jon jack master j and owen music maker were residents there. I recall that the majority of clubbers seemed to be far too young to be in a night club. also remember the sweaty walls lol

Occasions on a Saturday night around 1990 was a clubbing revelation for me. Parrot and Winston played the tunes, Warp Records were playing a load of their earliest cuts there - the bleeps of Sweet Exorcist's 'Testone' brought forth cheers and airhorns aplenty, and I believe it was first played there on cassette - and the 50/50 mix of black and white clubbers dancing to house, techno, soul and funk gave it an irresistibly unique atmosphere. Always hotter, sweatier and less dressy than Jive Turkey (in its neo-classical ballroom setting), Occasions on a Saturday was the night that showed me what clubbing was fast becoming.

And the thing that was so fabulous about it was that it felt utterly and uniquely Sheffield. Regional differences in dance music really existed then as DJs weren't really travelling to other cities - I don't think a night like this would have gone off in Manchester in 1990. The Hacienda scene was very different. Only Sheffield, Leeds and Bradford were doing nights that looked and sounded like Occasions that year. And of course, as it reached its peak, it all rolled into the euphoria surrounding the Italia '90 world cup, and for some reason Cameroon became team of the moment - I recall "Cameroooooooon!" being bellowed across the dancefloor as airhorns went off and Winston yelled "Make noise!".

I have been to nights that were madder and I've become a regular at clubs where ultimately, I've had more 'special' moments (Voodoo and Bugged Out in Liverpool especially), but Occasions was there first, and it was a Yorkshire thing - it felt like something that would be almost inexplicable to a clubber from London, or Bristol, or Newcastle.

I started a thread about Jam Factory and tapes in the 'Going Out' forum. Me and some friends have some tapes and would be interested if anyone else has any. Could do with remastering if anyone can do this??