Relocating From Bristol To Sheffield, Need Help!

hello!

i'm looking to relocate from bristol to sheffield within the next month; a friend from leeds recommended sheffield for a number of reasons, mainly the cost of living vs bristol..

it seems i could afford my own place for the same kind of cost as sharing down here, which is the main motivation for the move. 

i'll be renting, fairly low budget of around £500, not interested in schools / family stuff. it's just me, single 41 year old male. don't know a single person up there so it feels a bit daunting :(

i'll be working from home, and don't drive, i tend to cycle everywhere (hills are not a problem). bit outdoorsy in nature and would like to take advantage of the peak district as much as possible for camping and mountain biking

i was looking at central areas like kelham island, seems to be quite trendy, not too fussed about that. don't want to be surrounded by students if i can possibly help it, though i don't mind a mixture

the main things for me are finding somewhere that is quiet, safe, low crime/burglaries, and ideally convenient to access station / supermarkets etc

i'd really appreciate any guidance from those that know sheffield well

thanks

mike

Edited by Guest

Try looking in Dronfield,south west of Sheffield it has all the things you are looking for.We did it other way round many years ago and lived in Cleeve west of Bristol,but back in Yorkshire now.

Commonside / Walkley?  

Close to city centre but with easy access to Peak District - good mix of people - decent pubs and takeaways - supermarkets within a mile. 

Lived in the area for 35 years before moving to France 2 years ago.

Near Botanical Gardens is also a nice place. Close to Endcliffe park and Sharrowvale road, central to get to other areas.

On 15/09/2020 at 17:22, jackanne said:

Try looking in Dronfield,south west of Sheffield it has all the things you are looking for.We did it other way round many years ago and lived in Cleeve west of Bristol,but back in Yorkshire now.

hey, interesting suggestion! hadn't really heard of this area before now, did a bit of reading about it, seems like a lovely and desirable area! sadly there's little there in the way of rental property (in my price range) and when there is it seems to go within days. being 140 miles away i'm at a disadvantage when it comes to viewings! also, even though it's just a ten minute train journey to sheffield, it just feels a little far out for me what with having no car, etc. hmm, i won't completely rule it out though, thanks :)

19 hours ago, Bargepole23 said:

Dore, on the edge of the Peak District, and has Dore and Totley rail station, which is on the Hope Valley line.

One of the best areas in Sheffield, a village joined to the edge of the city.

https://www.zoopla.co.uk/to-rent/details/55653765

hey there! dore and the surrounding areas are lovely, i could probably cycle straight into the peak district from there without having to get a train, etc.. again fewer rentals within my budget appear there but it's definitely an area on the list.. thanks :)

Edited by Guest

Slightly more affordable but just down the road(literally) is Millhouses and Beauchief. Many areas around S7, S8  have easy access to the peak District.

1 hour ago, getphysical said:

Slightly more affordable but just down the road(literally) is Millhouses and Beauchief. Many areas around S7, S8  have easy access to the peak District.

Yes- better value than Dore, larger range of rentals, long park, VG bus services.

Edited by Jeffrey Shaw

19 hours ago, Longcol said:

Commonside / Walkley?  

Close to city centre but with easy access to Peak District - good mix of people - decent pubs and takeaways - supermarkets within a mile. 

Lived in the area for 35 years before moving to France 2 years ago.

yes, walkley is on the list, looks fine to me!

1 hour ago, Jeffrey Shaw said:

Yes- better value than Dore, larger range of rentals, long park, VG bus services.

noted, thank you!

9 hours ago, nightrider said:

Near Botanical Gardens is also a nice place. Close to Endcliffe park and Sharrowvale road, central to get to other areas.

yes, looks like a fantastic area. and there's an m&s food hall nearby. lovely!

New Cod onBlock , Commonside, Walkley is best chippy in Sheff.

Known owner for 30 years.

Good selection of shops

3 good pubs

Parks a couple if minutes walk away 

Good bus route.

Crookes is excellent, families and post grads up there and killer views.

Broomhill is sheff university area but still family's mixed in and good area  I go thru every day.

Kelham is likely pricey and a bit claustrophobic for me

Hillsborough likely cheaper area, handy for Don valley trail/ Greno woods. And on tram route.

In fact throw Malin Bridge into that.

Welcome to the steel city

Edited by butlers

If the OP has a budget of £500 per month then most of the suggestions seem a bit crazy... 

Edited by bungleboy69

10 hours ago, bungleboy69 said:

If the OP has a budget of £500 per month then most of the suggestions seem a bit crazy... 

hey there! what makes you say this? after having spent the last few weeks considering many of the areas mentioned above, there's actually plenty of flats / apartments well within budget, even in dore and totley, although they come up less frequently.