Goodbye Mr Shah

I’ve just read that Mr Shah who ran Shah Oriental Grocers on Abbeydale Road for many years has died. Goodbye old friend I have many fond memories of our chats in your shop your advice on curry’s and cooking was always spot on. You were just a general good guy always pleasant happy and funny,strange thing is me and missis were only talking about you on Saturday. RIP 

https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/people/family-pay-heartfelt-tribute-popular-shopkeeper-who-came-sheffield-nothing-2971158

Syed Masaud Hamed Shah, who was known as Shah or Mr Shah to family, friends and customers, died in his sleep on Tuesday, 8 September. A successful businessman, he ran Shah Oriental Grocers on Abbeydale Road, on the corner of Bedale Road, from its opening in 1968 to his retirement 49 years later and was well-known in Nether Edge and Abbeydale.

Shah’s oldest son, Tony, 54, said: “We’re proud because he had so many friends. He was always having people round his house, they started out as customers and became good friends.

"He came here with nothing and he built his fortune in England. He wanted to be buried here because he classed it as his home.”

Shah, who moved to England from Pakistan in 1962, leaves behind his wife, Maquada, as well as sons, Tony, Lee, 52, Jason, 50, and youngest daughter Aisha, a doctor at Sheffield Children’s Hospital, 32. He also had another daughter, Sharmila, who died aged 40, and 18 grandchildren.

Tony said: “If he set his mind to something he would get it done and he told it as it was, but he was fair.

"He was a typical shopkeeper – he would argue over a penny. But he always helped everyone. He used to watch cookery shows on Saturday morning and then make little ingredient bags up for customers.”

One of Tony’s friends whose parents used to visit the shop told him: "If it wasn’t for your dad, we would have grown up eating only bangers and mash.”

Shah worked for British Rail as a conductor and ticket collector for five years before purchasing the former Co-op store on Abbeydale Road and opening his own shop. In the early 1980s he bought the premises next door and expanded his business. He closed Shah Oriental Grocers when he retired and today it exists as Barrowboy Bar.

Shah’s funeral took place on Tuesday. His family have received “hundreds” of messages of support since the news of his death, Tony said.

F00-F4-CDF-3-A82-4332-8-A70-E46-E68-D4-E

didn't know him at all, but sounds like a very decent human being. 

42 minutes ago, arrowhead said:

didn't know him at all, but sounds like a very decent human being. 

He was lovely fella I’ve read lots of peoples posts on here talking about him and his shop before I thought there would be more who remembered him.

When we moved to Sheffield in the 90s, his was the only shop we could find "exotic" ingredients like fresh chillies. Lovely man.

Shop is now an upscale boozer. How things change!

I lived around the corner off Abbeydale Road from his shop and was fortunate to go to school with one of his sons (Lee).
Back in the 70's I was always amazed at the weird and wonderful fruit and vegetables on show and the exotic spicy smells emanating from within.
A lovely man with a lovely family, he'll be sadly missed.

my wife said it was always great to get ingredients that couldnt be bought elsewhere,i used to wait outside while she shopped there and intoduced me to tastes i had never had before,for that we thank him forever.

Around 1998/99 there was an indian takeaway at malin bridge i worked there delivering curries,the guy who owned it was called mr shah or shah would this be the same person ?

Very sad news indeed, my sympathy to the family in this difficult time.

There's a mural on the Bedale Rd side of what was the shop, (now The Barrowboy bar / eatery), which depicts the old shop.