We’re excited to announce the forum is under new management! Details to follow.

Changing Broadband Provider

20 hours ago, apelike said:

When you say the costs keep going up in what way? I was just looking at the 67Mb broadband package from them and it states there are no mid-contract price rises.

BTW I'm currently with Plusnet fibre and regularly get disconnected every few days or so. Not for long but enough to stop downloads, streaming and interrupt games, hence wanting to switch when contract is up.

Whereas I've never had a problem with Plusnet so I'd try and get that diagnosed. If it's an issue with the line, the exchange, the box at the end of the road, switching provider is not going to help. Or even try another router.

thanks for your reply, I have checked speeds and it is 1.4 download and 0.8 upload, Sorry forgot what talktalk quoted speed as when I took contract out, I have rung them many times and they have just fobbed me off with offers of half   price offer for 3 months(must have got my date of birth on record) I dont have any family who can help me out , but when price   went to. £27 per month I knew I had to make a stand. I dont use land line very often  Any more advice for me would be welcome

3 hours ago, probedb said:

Whereas I've never had a problem with Plusnet so I'd try and get that diagnosed. If it's an issue with the line, the exchange, the box at the end of the road, switching provider is not going to help. Or even try another router.

It could possibly be the router as you say as I've never had any problems with the line when on a different ISP. Also my next door neighbour in the same block of flats has the same package with Plusnet and never has any problems. TBH its just a bit irritating and only lasts for around 5 minutes till the router resets but as most ISP's up costs after the contract period is up (hence kay1 wanting to change) I will probably do the same.

1 hour ago, kay1 said:

thanks for your reply, I have checked speeds and it is 1.4 download and 0.8 upload, Sorry forgot what talktalk quoted speed as when I took contract out, I have rung them many times and they have just fobbed me off with offers of half   price offer for 3 months(must have got my date of birth on record) I dont have any family who can help me out , but when price   went to. £27 per month I knew I had to make a stand. I dont use land line very often  Any more advice for me would be welcome

To be honest kay1 I would first do a line check to see if you can get Fibre broadband as from the speeds you quote it looks like you are on a standard ADSL line and not fibre. The price difference is minimal but the speed is much faster and would make internet stuff on a laptop much better. Despite my Plusnet problems I would still recommend them and at the moment you can get it for £23 on an 18 month contract. If you go to their website you can do a postcode check first to see if fibre is available in your area. I'm not sure if you use a mobile phone but as you hardly use the phone don't bother with any free calls package and just get basic broadband.

Hi, I've been with TalkTalk from its inception of £10 per month. It has gotten too big for it's boots. I renegotiated a contract for a 'better' deal in May and everything went down hill from then on in. On reading which report of best provider last year, Zen, and subscribing for Which? this year, Zen came out second, only beaten by Utility Warehouse which was the only ISP to join the voluntary refund scheme for poor service - the only downside from my point of view is that you have to take out utilities and insurance to keep the cost down and pay rental for the router. I am arguing the case for early cancellation of contract for all the misery brought by there lack of service whose only response if they can't fix it is to send an engineer out. Welcome to ISP Bliss with zen - you speak to an IT technician who knows what they are doing, not a call centre working to a script, rebooting your router remotely to check things out, reading you account login and password details without you having to switch from the router login page to your email app. Had similar issues at first with Zen but they have sorted out what TT never could do. You pay a bit more but as with everything - you get what you pay for. Gone for the High Speed 1 bundle plus all inclusive calls (Line Rental Plus) so paying in total £36.50 a month, if you only need the Broadband then it's just £29.99 for 40 Mb download and 10 Mb upload. No point paying for a higher speed as we can only access FTTC not FTTH (Fiber To The Cabinet not Fiber To The House) as the speed will deteriorate from the cabinet down the copper wire to the phone/VDSL socket in the house. 🤩☺️

A few years ago I purchased a VDSL face plate to replace the standard telecom one and the tool to put the wires in place a couple of years ago to get ADSL/VDSL connectivity from this guy:

https://www.mymatevince.com/

Edited by swarfendor437

Search for "uswitch" Kay, I tried putting a link in but it kept putting my post code in which I'd rather it didn't.

I usually use these for my gas and electric and broadband/phone Kay. Put you post code in and your current provider and check what's out there. Sounds like you're paying through the nose for a very poor service. Can't remember the deals now but I'd expect you could get a vastly improved speed to what you're getting now for around £22 a month.

Is your laptop plugged into your phone line or are you connected by Wi-Fi? Wi-Fi is just like a radio signal and your laptop receives the connection without being connected to anything.

As Apelike says above, when you find the uswitch site, put your post code in and the company you're with and it will show you what you can get.

Edited by Kelvin Phlats

I am really enjoying Zen over TT - their help lines are open on weekends and Bank Holidays if needed. What you have to remember speed wise is that there will be some latency drop-off down the copper wire from the fibre cabinet unless you've got FTTH (Fibre To The Home). Also pleased to see that the firmware can be updated - now have WPA-2/-3 security on the router and Mesh Wi-fi updates. Zen contracts are for 12 months and they promise not to put the prices up at end of contract or during it.