Changing Broadband Provider

I am looking to finally change from TalkTalk, cost keeps going up and up and try to talk to a real person is almost impossible, I have looked at deals from BT and virgin media, can anybody give me any feed back on these providers,   Many thanks.

In my experience BT are ok overall, Virgin broadband and tv great but expensive.  Virgin phone poor, and when the landline is down they are almost impossible to get through to on the web or via mobiles.

I'm with Plusnet who have pretty good CS (but with long waits at the mo of course), actual service has been reliable with only the odd time when broadband seemed slow, my package includes Youview TV inc basic BT sport and unlimited calls and was by far cheapest all in deal.

I am with EE and cannot complain about them, my phone went off last year and I was told could be up to a week, it was sorted and back on in 3 days. When I renewed last year it actually went down £3 per month, will be interesting what it will be when it is due for renewal in November.

19 hours ago, Thirsty Relic said:

In my experience BT are ok overall, Virgin broadband and tv great but expensive.  Virgin phone poor, and when the landline is down they are almost impossible to get through to on the web or via mobiles.

Can't say I really had a problem getting in touch via Mobile, just phone the 'national' number... 0800 952 8046 or 0345 454 1111

1 hour ago, Ghozer said:

Can't say I really had a problem getting in touch via Mobile, just phone the 'national' number... 0800 952 8046 or 0345 454 1111

repeatedly tried both those numbers - never managed to get through - 40 minute waits on hold being the norm.  When BB problems, simple one minute call got the techos out to fix it.  Very different story if the landline down - no way of telling them by email or via webpage, and the chatbot (and you can't got to a human except through the chatbot) can't understand phone problems!

On 14/09/2020 at 16:17, kay1 said:

I am looking to finally change from TalkTalk, cost keeps going up and up and try to talk to a real person is almost impossible, I have looked at deals from BT and virgin media, can anybody give me any feed back on these providers,   Many thanks.

When you say the costs keep going up in what way? I was just looking at the 67Mb broadband package from them and it states there are no mid-contract price rises.

BTW I'm currently with Plusnet fibre and regularly get disconnected every few days or so. Not for long but enough to stop downloads, streaming and interrupt games, hence wanting to switch when contract is up.

Edited by apelike

14 minutes ago, Kelvin Phlats said:

She's probably come out of contract to be honest.

Another question regarding broadband, just how do they change the speeds when they're offering speeds of 37 mb and 67 mg. Do the restrict /throttle back to the lower speeds and then release to give you higher speeds somehow, anyone know?

Yes I am out of contract, my mistake. Can anyone help me I have contacted BT and the prices quoted are both 24 month contracts, Essential ,£24.99 33-36Mb and Fibre 1, 46-50Mb £27.99 (with 700 mins free calls per month £34.99) I only have a laptop and smart TV and as I am not really up to date (over 80) can you advice me which would be the most suitable option for me

27 minutes ago, kay1 said:

Yes I am out of contract, my mistake. Can anyone help me I have contacted BT and the prices quoted are both 24 month contracts, Essential ,£24.99 33-36Mb and Fibre 1, 46-50Mb £27.99 (with 700 mins free calls per month £34.99) I only have a laptop and smart TV and as I am not really up to date (over 80) can you advice me which would be the most suitable option for me

If you use iPlayer or other streaming services you need to make sure the broadband is unlimited (no data caps) 33-36 should be OK for that, but check your area and see what the average speed is. With the 700 minutes of calls, do you use the house phone? Do you need 700 minutes? Is it just to UK landline numbers? Is it off peak and/or weekends only? If you mainly use a mobile phone or the times you use the phone don't fit in with the package, it's just wasted money.

24 month contracts is fairly standard for BT. If they don't give the minimum guaranteed speeds, you can leave without penalty. I have the higher speed ones so check the small print on the 'Essential' package, it may not apply on that one.

EDIT: I missed the Fibre 1 part, for the sake of £3 per month, it sounds like a better deal.

Edited by zach

20 hours ago, apelike said:

When you say the costs keep going up in what way? I was just looking at the 67Mb broadband package from them and it states there are no mid-contract price rises.

BTW I'm currently with Plusnet fibre and regularly get disconnected every few days or so. Not for long but enough to stop downloads, streaming and interrupt games, hence wanting to switch when contract is up.

Whereas I've never had a problem with Plusnet so I'd try and get that diagnosed. If it's an issue with the line, the exchange, the box at the end of the road, switching provider is not going to help. Or even try another router.

thanks for your reply, I have checked speeds and it is 1.4 download and 0.8 upload, Sorry forgot what talktalk quoted speed as when I took contract out, I have rung them many times and they have just fobbed me off with offers of half   price offer for 3 months(must have got my date of birth on record) I dont have any family who can help me out , but when price   went to. £27 per month I knew I had to make a stand. I dont use land line very often  Any more advice for me would be welcome

3 hours ago, probedb said:

Whereas I've never had a problem with Plusnet so I'd try and get that diagnosed. If it's an issue with the line, the exchange, the box at the end of the road, switching provider is not going to help. Or even try another router.

It could possibly be the router as you say as I've never had any problems with the line when on a different ISP. Also my next door neighbour in the same block of flats has the same package with Plusnet and never has any problems. TBH its just a bit irritating and only lasts for around 5 minutes till the router resets but as most ISP's up costs after the contract period is up (hence kay1 wanting to change) I will probably do the same.

1 hour ago, kay1 said:

thanks for your reply, I have checked speeds and it is 1.4 download and 0.8 upload, Sorry forgot what talktalk quoted speed as when I took contract out, I have rung them many times and they have just fobbed me off with offers of half   price offer for 3 months(must have got my date of birth on record) I dont have any family who can help me out , but when price   went to. £27 per month I knew I had to make a stand. I dont use land line very often  Any more advice for me would be welcome

To be honest kay1 I would first do a line check to see if you can get Fibre broadband as from the speeds you quote it looks like you are on a standard ADSL line and not fibre. The price difference is minimal but the speed is much faster and would make internet stuff on a laptop much better. Despite my Plusnet problems I would still recommend them and at the moment you can get it for £23 on an 18 month contract. If you go to their website you can do a postcode check first to see if fibre is available in your area. I'm not sure if you use a mobile phone but as you hardly use the phone don't bother with any free calls package and just get basic broadband.