Toothpaste Gums

I am 59 so my teeth/gums are not too good. The dentist will tell me to put Sensodyne toothpaste on my teeth to help to relieve my pain.

To me this is just like being fobbed off. Why would one particular brand of toothpaste help?

If anyone can say what is in this toothpaste, that relieves my pain, I will be surprised.

Why would a NHS dentist be promoting Sensodyne, I dont go to the doctors and he tells me not to take supermarket brand pain killers.

They state whats in the tablets, they are all the same.

you need to watch more adverts.

sensodynye's usp is it helps painful teeth, other toothpaste's do not make these claims. presumably it's to do with the formulation. 

36 minutes ago, El Cid said:

I am 59 so my teeth/gums are not too good. The dentist will tell me to put Sensodyne toothpaste on my teeth to help to relieve my pain.

To me this is just like being fobbed off. Why would one particular brand of toothpaste help?

If anyone can say what is in this toothpaste, that relieves my pain, I will be surprised.

Why would a NHS dentist be promoting Sensodyne, I dont go to the doctors and he tells me not to take supermarket brand pain killers.

It's not really that hard or surprising.  Sensodyne and other similar products contain a sedative ingredient, potassium nitrate, which other brands don't.

There is quite a lot of information about it and some of the the academic trials on the internet.

If you have been recommended it by a medical expert I don't see any harm in giving it a try or at least finding off-brand alternative containing that ingredient which not all of them do.

Only if you try it and subsequently doesn't work can you go back and raise your suspicions with your dentist.  

Colgate do a sensitive version as well. The boffins there managed to isolate a single pore (right word?) in a tooth under microscope and then find exactly the same spot after a week or so to prove the toothpaste does it's job.

4 hours ago, ECCOnoob said:

It's not really that hard or surprising.  Sensodyne and other similar products contain a sedative ingredient, potassium nitrate, which other brands don't.

There is quite a lot of information about it and some of the the academic trials on the internet.

Thanks, I will get my magnifying glass out and read the boxes.

To warn consumers of the risks of potassium nitrate, the FDA requires every sensitive toothpaste carton using potassium nitrate to be clearly marked with a 4-week-use warning label.

https://sensitivetoothpaste.com/does-your-sensitive-toothpaste-contain-potassium-nitrate-a-key-ingredient-in-gunpowder/

10 minutes ago, El Cid said:

To warn consumers of the risks of potassium nitrate, the FDA requires every sensitive toothpaste carton using potassium nitrate to be clearly marked with a 4-week-use warning label.

https://sensitivetoothpaste.com/does-your-sensitive-toothpaste-contain-potassium-nitrate-a-key-ingredient-in-gunpowder/

I’m pretty sure that you’ll use a tube of toothpaste in less than four weeks.

6 hours ago, El Cid said:

It's right there on Wikipedia?

Sensodyne toothpastes work in different ways depending on the product's active ingredient - potassium nitrate, strontium acetate/chloride.

Potassium nitrate: The potassium ion hyperpolarizes[3] the nerve and stops it from firing. The nerve impulses are thus desensitized and there is no pain.

Strontium acetate and strontium chloride: These compounds share a similar chemical structure to calcium. Strontium based toothpastes (acetate and chloride) are therefore able to replace some of the lost calcium and block the exposed tubules in the dentinal tissue. This helps prevent the movement of the fluid within the tubules in response to a sensitivity stimulus that could otherwise cause tooth pain.

Some Sensodyne products contain calcium sodium phosphosilicate CSPS (Novamin), which appears to help with tooth sensitivity.[5][6] A randomized clinical trial published in 2015 demonstrated that dentifrices containing 5% CSPS may have the potential to mineralize and occlude the dentine in the oral environment.[7][8] Sensodyne has removed the calcium sodium phosphosilicate from their US products

42 minutes ago, El Cid said:

The FDA is the US Regulator.    In any event, I really wouldn't concern yourself too much Sensodyne is on the list of approved products for use of potassium nitrate as set by own UK Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Authority.

I recommend you simply buy the genuine product as recommended by your dentist and give it a try as they must have some confidence that it will solve your issue.

I wouldn't spend too long trying to find 1001 different alternatives with the same ingredient from dodgy Dave's market stall as there are some known fakes out there which actually are toxic. 

1 hour ago, ECCOnoob said:

The FDA is the US Regulator.    In any event, I really wouldn't concern yourself too much Sensodyne is on the list of approved products for use of potassium nitrate as set by own UK Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Authority.

I recommend you simply buy the genuine product as recommended by your dentist and give it a try as they must have some confidence that it will solve your issue.

I wouldn't spend too long trying to find 1001 different alternatives with the same ingredient from dodgy Dave's market stall as there are some known fakes out there which actually are toxic. 

100ml of Sensodyne retails at about £4.

100 ml of Sainsbury’s sensitive toothpaste retails at £1.

Same active ingredients.

Make up your own mind.

On 13/09/2020 at 14:54, El Cid said:

Did it occur to you to ask the dentist at the time?  If anyone can tell you what it is in the toothpaste that relieves pain I’m sure they can.

Or did you not take that opportunity because you were too busy planning starting this thread to do the obvious thing?

Edited by Arnold_Lane

2 hours ago, Arnold_Lane said:

Did it occur to you to ask the dentist at the time?  If anyone can tell you what it is in the toothpaste that relieves pain I’m sure they can.

Or did you not take that opportunity because you were too busy planning starting this thread to do the obvious thing?

Maybe I was in PAIN

One puts a lot more thought into things when sat at home. It has crossed my mind, that pain is good for you.  Everytime you get toothache, you should think whether you can eat healthier.