M1 Speed Limit In Sheffield

29 minutes ago, Jim Hardie said:

Amazing what a night’s sleep can do. I think you’ve won the argument.
I used the ‘maximum number’ to demonstrate that there can be more vehicles on that particular stretch of motorway at the lower speed at any one time. However for that argument to work, it would have to be at that capacity 24 hours a day and it won’t be.

👍

10 minutes ago, Jim Hardie said:

Lol, sorry to let you down, Rockers. At least I had a go.

I enjoyed the exchange.  You had me thinking for a bit :)

On the broad assumption that a car is driven in top gear at both 60 and 70mph, what do we do as drivers (without a downward slope and a tailwind) to get the vehicle to and keep it at 70 rather than lose speed and drop back to 60.?
Do we inject more pedal power, fruit juice, air, water or magic dust into the engine?

33 minutes ago, DT Ralge said:

On the broad assumption that a car is driven in top gear at both 60 and 70mph, what do we do as drivers (without a downward slope and a tailwind) to get the vehicle to and keep it at 70 rather than lose speed and drop back to 60.?
Do we inject more pedal power, fruit juice, air, water or magic dust into the engine?

I'd say it all depends on where you got your licence from.

Bicycle proficiency class, 

working for Del Monte,

Pilot Training,

The Royal Navy,

or in a Hippy Commune in the 1960's

The rest of us know which pedal it is for forward propulsion thanks.

Edited by Rockers rule
additional info

The case against Prezemyslaw Szuba is interesting reading for anyone that still thinks smart motorways are a good idea.

18 hours ago, Brooker11 said:

The case against Prezemyslaw Szuba is interesting reading for anyone that still thinks smart motorways are a good idea.

Why? 

He's admitted not paying attention. This is no different to the lorries which plough into cars and other lorries every single day on the motorway.  

Why were the drivers involved in the crash not over the barrier to safety?  Why were they exchanging details and looking at their cars on a live lane?

I travelled nearly 280 miles on motorways at the weekend.  I saw four breakdowns. And in every single case the occupants of the car were either stood beside it or sat in it.

Smart motorways are designed with safety in mind, to be at least as safe as the conventional motorways they replace. Our evidence shows that they are reducing casualty rates:
a risk assessment of the design for the latest generation of smart motorways estimated an overall 18 per cent reduction in risk compared to a conventional motorway the evidence indicates that, since opening, across nine ‘all lane running’ schemes the casualty rate has reduced by 28 per cent.
The hard shoulder is not a safe place - more than a hundred people are killed or injured on the hard shoulder every year, and people stopping on them unnecessarily is an issue. Smart motorways effectively eliminate this risk

10 hours ago, alchresearch said:

Why? 

He's admitted not paying attention. This is no different to the lorries which plough into cars and other lorries every single day on the motorway.  

Why were the drivers involved in the crash not over the barrier to safety?  Why were they exchanging details and looking at their cars on a live lane?

I travelled nearly 280 miles on motorways at the weekend.  I saw four breakdowns. And in every single case the occupants of the car were either stood beside it or sat in it.

I couldn't agree more.  I'm glad someone else can see past what could be just a media frenzy.

Without a truly in-depth analysis of the 38 fatalities (in 5 years of "smart" relative to the 450+ total motorway death toll) i.e. a laying out of all the where's, how, how long for and the why's, no-one will know the true level of relative safety across the network. 

I repeat myself, I know, when I ask why there is no clamour to do something about all the dual-carriageways with no hard shoulder together with:

much shorter lines of vision;

lay-bys hidden around a corner; 

roads crossing (in places);

desperately short on- and off-ramps on occasions (and even GiveWay lines).

Why is there no clamour, furthermore, to get drivers to make smarter, safer choices and decisions?