M1 Speed Limit In Sheffield

14 hours ago, Brooker11 said:

I've broken down on an A road and the M1, being stood on the hard shoulder whilst huge lorries are flying past is terrifying, being in a broken down car with no refuge is unthinkable.

Indeed., but until it happens, many drivers are unaware how scary it is.  

My training angle is to accept and read the roads as they are and to encourage drivers to think and plan more deeply (from  driveway to on the road) than their default relaxed, casual even, lack of attention to detail .   All too often, their casual approach to stuff means that they don’t manage to avoid that breakdown or bump. 
Blaming Councils and/or HE is too easy.  

Drivers need to take ownership and responsibility and not be quite so reliant on all sorts of technology ...  that way they may just finish up as better, more astute risk managers. 
Pigs might fly, though. 

Guest busdriver1
34 minutes ago, DT Ralge said:

Thanks for that insight - what I wonder though is whether this optimal fuel burn rate is theoretical in the sense that it takes no account of wind resistance. 
Seriously, I am in the belief that any marginal savings in top gear between 60 and 70 on a test bed are far outweighed by increased wind resistance in the real world.

I wouldn’t bet my house on it but ...

With current vehicle designs being thoroughly wind tested my belief is that any increase in resistance  between those speeds would be negligible and certainly not cause an increase in emissions to any noticeable level but the increase would certainly be there at the lower speeds  due to the engine not running optimally. 

In summary, it is my belief and understanding that overall the vehicle would pollute more at the lower speed. 

Seems going 70 not 60 burns 14 percent more fuel.

Guest busdriver1
3 minutes ago, butlers said:

Seems going 70 not 60 burns 14 percent more fuel.

That depends on who is giving the figures and their agenda if they have one. Also does it take into account the increase as a vehicle speeds up after the restriction. THAT would be heavy in comparison.

Edited by busdriver1

Think that's a government figure.

Granted depends on model of car but presumably it's an average family type.

6 minutes ago, butlers said:

Think that's a government figure.

Granted depends on model of car but presumably it's an average family type.

Dutch did a survey and in real world conditions it was more likely 3%.

45 minutes ago, busdriver1 said:

With current vehicle designs being thoroughly wind tested my belief is that any increase in resistance  between those speeds would be negligible and certainly not cause an increase in emissions to any noticeable level but the increase would certainly be there at the lower speeds  due to the engine not running optimally. 

In summary, it is my belief and understanding that overall the vehicle would pollute more at the lower speed. 

Where did you get your physics degree?

Guest busdriver1
10 minutes ago, Arnold_Lane said:

Where did you get your physics degree?

and you have one?

Guest busdriver1
5 minutes ago, Arnold_Lane said:

Thought so.

I do have a very good education in vehicles and in particular internal combustion engines where  I was educated in the science involved in vehicle operation and design. None of that education was gained from google. It was factual and exact. 

Still no answer though eh?

Edited by busdriver1

47 minutes ago, busdriver1 said:

That depends on who is giving the figures and their agenda if they have one. Also does it take into account the increase as a vehicle speeds up after the restriction. THAT would be heavy in comparison.

You didn’t need to answer my question because a reply like this did it for me.

Guest busdriver1
2 minutes ago, Arnold_Lane said:

You didn’t need to answer my question because a reply like this did it for me.

Oh so it does not fit your agenda then and you still haven't answered my question  - wonder why 

No I dont, I know exactly why