M1 Speed Limit In Sheffield

Between M1 junctions 33 and 34 is going to trial a 60mph in an attempt to reduce pollution,

They tried doing that when they first opened the so called smart motorway up 

They did that over 3 years ago, I used to get on the M1 at J33, the speed limit went to 60 at 7am and that was all the way to the end of the smart section. Coming home about 4.30 the speed limit again dropped to 60 from the start of the smart section.

At one point it was 60mph pretty much all along the whole smart motorway section, further down than J29.

2 hours ago, Annie Bynnol said:

Between M1 junctions 33 and 34 is going to trial a 60mph in an attempt to reduce pollution,

Work from home, and we can drop the tax take and pollution down to nothing!  I'm not green, but I want to see them bankrupt as punishment for their stupid ideas.

The smart motorway has been a total failure resulting in too many fatalities, reducing to 60 is perhaps a way to get away from admitting it was a mistake.

Guest busdriver1

So making vehicles stay in the area longer will reduce emissions? 

So my vehicle, which emits LESS at 70 than it does at 60 thanks to being able to use it's highest gear, lowering engine rpm and being more fuel efficient will now pollute MORE due to being forced to drive slower. 

Many modern cars are similar to this. 

For me this is yet another moronic idea by Highways. Probably in collusion with the councils responsible for those areas so they can justify so called 'clean air zone' taxes. 

The motorways are dangerous enough, especially the so called smart motorways, and now we will have HGVs 'pushing' vehicles attempting to stick to a 60 limit. Where do Highways England get these. so called, experts?  Are these the same 'experts who have decided smart motorways are safe? They should hang their heads and admit their errors have directly lead to the deaths of motorists!  The Highways England cameras do not cover every inch of these smart motorways and, even if they do manage that level of coverage, not all camera feeds are watched every second of the day in real-time.

The way things are going, how long before each vehicle must be proceeded by a walker with a red flag? Still that should cut unemployment at a stroke!

12 hours ago, Brooker11 said:

The smart motorway has been a total failure resulting in too many fatalities, reducing to 60 is perhaps a way to get away from admitting it was a mistake.

I wonder how drivers cope with the bulk of UK dual-carriageways (sharper bends, little vision ahead, no hard shoulder, lay-bys, crossing traffic, farm vehicles, cyclists (on some), extremely short exit and entry ramps ...).  A smart motorway should be no more dangerous than the A61, A38, A34, A1,,, if drivers "drove to the conditions", kept space for vision ahead and  built in escape routes into their driving plan.

Still, lots prefer an emotional, knee-jerk, "they're scary" and "the authorities are stupid" response.

2 hours ago, Resident said:

So my vehicle, which emits LESS at 70 than it does at 60 thanks to being able to use it's highest gear, lowering engine rpm and being more fuel efficient will now pollute MORE due to being forced to drive slower. 

Many modern cars are similar to this. 

For me this is yet another moronic idea by Highways. Probably in collusion with the councils responsible for those areas so they can justify so called 'clean air zone' taxes. 

Disagree as a Safed/EST trainer.  Both my vehicles (1.0-litre petrol Ibiza and 2.3 litre diesel Ducato) are quite happy in top gear at speeds below 60 mph.   I can't say that I always drive like that, preferring engine responsiveness but 60mph in top gear is eminently possible - your reasoning, therefore, falls at the first hurdle.