Debit Card Refusal. Please Help.

Not sure whether this is the right section for my quiry but am hoping that someone can help me. Since the Coronavirus outbreak I have been paying by contactless payment with my debit card. After tapping it as you do on the little machine which they put in front of you, it refused to accept it. The assistant said that these machines play up sometimes, so the assistant suggest that I put my debit card into the slot in the machine and tap in my pin number. Unfortunately I put my PIN number in the wrong way round, and and the assistant asked me to try again. I put the right one in but it refused it again. How many times does it refuse you before it cuts you off altogether?

5 minutes ago, pattricia said:

Not sure whether this is the right section for my quiry but am hoping that someone can help me. Since the Coronavirus outbreak I have been paying by contactless payment with my debit card. After tapping it as you do on the little machine which they put in front of you, it refused to accept it. The assistant said that these machines play up sometimes, so the assistant suggest that I put my debit card into the slot in the machine and tap in my pin number. Unfortunately I put my PIN number in the wrong way round, and and the assistant asked me to try again. I put the right one in but it refused it again. How many times does it refuse you before it cuts you off altogether?

I know around every 10th transactionOr so  you have to put your pin in 

14 minutes ago, rudds1 said:

I know around every 10th transactionOr so  you have to put your pin in 

Never heared of this myself, I have easily used contactless more than 10 times, and not needed to enter my PIN...

-- to pattricia
Usually it's 3 incorrect tries then it rejects totally, then you have to start the transaction again..
it could just have been an issue with the system at the time (either the shops terminals, or your bank, or somewhere in between) - it can randomly happen, and often only lasts a few minutes (5-10 mins tops usually)

1 hour ago, Ghozer said:

Never heared of this myself, I have easily used contactless more than 10 times, and not needed to enter my PIN...

-- to pattricia
Usually it's 3 incorrect tries then it rejects totally, then you have to start the transaction again..
it could just have been an issue with the system at the time (either the shops terminals, or your bank, or somewhere in between) - it can randomly happen, and often only lasts a few minutes (5-10 mins tops usually)

I have had it where every so often I have had to put my pin in but could depend who your bank is   I’m with Yorkshire 

5 minutes ago, rudds1 said:

I have had it where every so often I have had to put my pin in but could depend who your bank is   I’m with Yorkshire 

Yes, for security, I have to do this every so often with one of my contactless cards.

4 hours ago, horribleblob said:

Yes, for security, I have to do this every so often with one of my contactless cards.

Maybe this is the answer then for security.? 

6 hours ago, pattricia said:

Maybe this is the answer then for security.? 

They limit the amount of times you can use the card via contactless. It's to prevent someone wiping your account out if you lost it and someone used it.

I don't know if you can do it with Debit Cards but with a Credit Card you can setup an amount on your smartphone for transactions that way so that if your phone got stolen your losses would be limited to the isolated amount on the phone app. You can decide what (sensible) amount you want to allocate. (I don't use this method my self, I only use Credit Cards for Contactless payment whose limit is currently £45.)

24 minutes ago, swarfendor437 said:

I don't know if you can do it with Debit Cards but with a Credit Card you can setup an amount on your smartphone for transactions that way so that if your phone got stolen your losses would be limited to the isolated amount on the phone app. You can decide what (sensible) amount you want to allocate. (I don't use this method my self, I only use Credit Cards for Contactless payment whose limit is currently £45.)

Most bank apps let you freeze your card.

Phoned LLoyds today and it’s easier than I thought. Because I put the wrong PIN number in ,it stopped any more transactions. I have to go to LLoyds on Monday and put my debit card into the machine on the wall, put PIN number in,  then click on “ Other Services” then Pin Services then Unblock Pin! Then my first purchase with my debit card must be with my PIN number. Easy when you know how ! You just have to ask !

5 hours ago, swarfendor437 said:

Contactless generally has a limit of £30 - I think it was raised slightly recently, but I don't think it's more than £40

Also, I use my phone mostly (as opposed to my Card) - have setup contactless through there - so they couldn't ask for a PIN even if they wanted to tbh! :)