Two Sheffield Pizza Huts To Close In Restructure

Really feel for the staff, but we're  not really going to miss much are we? 

Many better places to eat quality pizza in Sheffield now. 

Proove and Napoli Centro are  examples...

So, the two busiest ones in the city (and the two easiest to access) are closing....

Talk about shooting yourself in the foot!

20 minutes ago, Ghozer said:

So, the two busiest ones in the city (and the two easiest to access) are closing....

Maybe the ones with the highest gouging from the council on rates too?  Perhaps the profit is in takeaway and not sit down restaurant?  I used to enjoy an occasional buffet lunch, but that's totally dead for the foreseeable future.

2 hours ago, Ghozer said:

I doubt these companies make decisions by throwing darts randomly into a map. They will be well aware what profit for each branch will be and the associated overheads.

The one on High Street is certainly no surprise to me. Shopping is moving away from that end of town and in the local area there is new competition for the younger student and residential crowd who have different, more exotic and, dare I say, more premium tastes.

Penistone Road is slightly more surprising but in view of leisure generally being rock bottom due to Covid, hardly any events at the grayhound track nor any big football crowds their trade must be minimal. Unlike McDonald's and BK which has the benefit of drive through that particular branch doesn't. For those who actually want a takeaway or delivered pizza they are more likely to use one of the purpose built delivery branches rather than waste their time driving down to pick it up from Penistone Road.

As others have said my sympathy goes with the staff who are losing their jobs but they are certainly not going to be the last in that situation.

Edited by ECCOnoob

On 12/09/2020 at 19:56, ECCOnoob said:

Penistone Road is slightly more surprising but in view of leisure generally being rock bottom due to Covid, hardly any events at the grayhound track nor any big football crowds their trade must be minimal. Unlike McDonald's and BK which has the benefit of drive through that particular branch doesn't. For those who actually want a takeaway or delivered pizza they are more likely to use one of the purpose built delivery branches rather than waste their time driving down to pick it up from Penistone Road.

I used to get takeaways from the Penistone Rd Branch and I'm dissappointed but not that surprised. It was pretty much dead most nights and had been for ages before all this, they were shutting at 9pm even at weekends. 

I'm not sure what happened because at one point it was really quite busy. I guess the lure of a deliveroo'd big mac was too great. 

If it helps there is a Takeaway only branch which open recently on Halifax Road just up from kilner way retail park. 

On 12/09/2020 at 17:27, avalunche said:

Maybe the ones with the highest gouging from the council on rates too?  Perhaps the profit is in takeaway and not sit down restaurant?  I used to enjoy an occasional buffet lunch, but that's totally dead for the foreseeable future.

The council do not 'Gouge' business rates. They are set by the Government.

It's silly closing those two, always been the busiest out of any when ever I go... Town one (high street) always has people in it, and I was waiting almost an hour for a table at Penistone road last time I went...

On 12/09/2020 at 11:57, bungleboy69 said:

Really feel for the staff, but we're  not really going to miss much are we? 

Many better places to eat quality pizza in Sheffield now. 

Proove and Napoli Centro are  examples...

I think you're right, but for some people, places like Pizza Hut and Domino's are their standard reference points for pizza.  They probably wouldn't appreciate what authentic pizza looks or tastes like.  The pizza's produced by the two places you have mentioned are so far removed from the mass produced rubbish that Pizza Hut and Domino's make, that they probably wouldn't even like them.  Freshly made dough from Italian Caputo flour, fresh ingredients, cooked rapidly in a wood-fired oven.   It's a whole different proposition to chain restaurant/take-away pizzas.  I spent a few days in Naples a while ago and that's famous for its pizza.  I think the ones from Proove and Napoli Centro are the closest thing I've had to that in the UK.  Absolutely delicious!  

As to the closing of the branches:  I think the reasons for that are obvious - they aren't making enough profit.  And that's a combination of reduced foot-fall and high operating costs.  These decisions aren't taken lightly or at random. It's nothing to do with how busy they were when you last went in!🙄

1 hour ago, DerbyTup said:

I think you're right, but for some people, places like Pizza Hut and Domino's are their standard reference points for pizza.  They probably wouldn't appreciate what authentic pizza looks or tastes like.  The pizza's produced by the two places you have mentioned are so far removed from the mass produced rubbish that Pizza Hut and Domino's make, that they probably wouldn't even like them.  Freshly made dough from Italian Caputo flour, fresh ingredients, cooked rapidly in a wood-fired oven.   It's a whole different proposition to chain restaurant/take-away pizzas.  I spent a few days in Naples a while ago and that's famous for its pizza.  I think the ones from Proove and Napoli Centro are the closest thing I've had to that in the UK.  Absolutely delicious!  

As to the closing of the branches:  I think the reasons for that are obvious - they aren't making enough profit.  And that's a combination of reduced foot-fall and high operating costs.  These decisions aren't taken lightly or at random. It's nothing to do with how busy they were when you last went in!🙄

I would pick Napoli Centro over Proove, had a few tepid pizzas from Proove delivered during lockdown. 

Edited by Bargepole23

2 hours ago, Bargepole23 said:

I would pick Napoli Centro over Proove, had a few tepid pizzas from Proove delivered during lockdown. 

Yes I'd agree with you about that.  The pizza's at Napoli Centro are less expensive than Proove as well, from what I recall.  I think if you start adding extra toppings at Proove it can become quite pricey.  The only thing I would say is that the range of pizza's at Napoli Centro is a bit more limited than at Proove.  I like a simple ham and mushroom, "prosciutto et funghi".  I can't get that at Napoli Centro.  I can get "funghi" for £8, but they don't do prosciutto or even just plain ham as an additional topping.  You can have Parma ham, as an additional topping, but I'm not so keen on Parma ham tbh - and it's £2.50 extra if you go for that option.