Broadband Line Test?

I've recently moved to a new property and want to set up the internet, the house has 2 sockets, a normal phone line socket and a BT Openreach socket. I have looked at 2 providers,  Now and EE, now when I have gone to the sites and they have done a check to see if my property is able to get broadband, both coming up as positive, what I need to know is are they checking if the sockets are actually live and ready, I dont want to sign up and find out I can't get anything through them, or do I need to contact anyone else, is the BT socket able to be used by any provider barring Virgin???

They are checking if their service is available at the exchange linked to your postcode...
And may be checking a database for how old your line is to estimate it's max speed capability...

Once you sign up, It will still take a few days for it to be turned on, your router sent to you, and for the line to stabilize once you are connected...

Internet connections generally aren't "Live" all the time, and need to be enabled by whoever you decide to use...

Edited by Ghozer

7 minutes ago, Ghozer said:

They are checking if their service is available at the exchange linked to your postcode...
And may be checking a database for how old your line is to estimate it's max speed capability...

Once you sign up, It will still take a few days for it to be turned on, your router sent to you, and for the line to stabilize once you are connected...

Internet connections generally aren't "Live" all the time, and need to be enabled by whoever you decide to use...

Cheers for the info Ghozer, never let me down...👍👍👍

As the socket is Openreach, I'm still able to use it for other providers???

Edited by Longy67

1 hour ago, Longy67 said:

Cheers for the info Ghozer, never let me down...👍👍👍

As the socket is Openreach, I'm still able to use it for other providers???

Yes shouldn't be a problem, it only says "OpenReach" as they probably installed it, and they like to brand their stuff (as most do) - but should work fine with other providers

54 minutes ago, Ghozer said:

Yes shouldn't be a problem, it only says "OpenReach" as they probably installed it, and they like to brand their stuff (as most do) - but should work fine with other providers

Thanks...

While you are waiting to be connected, if you have a smart phone you could tether by USB - that is what I am having to do whilst waiting to migrate to another ISP next week. If I use my current ISP the speed is slower than dial-up.

5 hours ago, swarfendor437 said:

While you are waiting to be connected, if you have a smart phone you could tether by USB - that is what I am having to do whilst waiting to migrate to another ISP next week. If I use my current ISP the speed is slower than dial-up.

If you have wireless you don't need this. Assuming your phone does it just set it to be a wireless hotspot and connect to that.

20 hours ago, probedb said:

If you have wireless you don't need this. Assuming your phone does it just set it to be a wireless hotspot and connect to that.

Sadly wireless is the same. I have uploaded a video as proof of issues on my vimeo account which I have warned TT about if they go ahead with my cancellation fee! I have a Coolermaster Silencio tower with USB ports (x4) on top of case so not an issue. Can't believe how fast it's been while waiting for change over. - but too costly to keep up!