We’re excited to announce the forum is under new management! Details to follow.

Efl Trophy - Opportunity Missed?

On the grander scheme of things, I think we both have pretty big tasks ahead of us this season coming. The Blades are hoping for another competitive season in the top slight and ultimately, they aim toguarantee themselves top flight football beyond next season. The owls on the other hand, they have a points deficit to turn around and then they hope to try and stamp themselves on the league somehow.

But are both clubs missing an opportunity to develop young talent?

The likes of Leeds United, Norwich and West Brom are all fielding U21 teams in the EFL Cup this evening. Okay.....as a competition, it isnt the most attractive and it isnt at the top of our things to win.

But for development purposes? Surely it has the potential to serve a purpose?

I'm not clued up on the youth setup at Hillsborough, but I know that at Bramall Lane, we have a few younger prospects on the fringes of first team football.

The U21's league gives them an opportunity to shine against similar aged players, but the EFL trophy provides a platform to test themselves against full professionals and seasoned pros. In terms of individual development, surely this is a fantastic opportunity for the young lads?

Should we enter our U21's into the EFL trophy?

I'm almost agreeing with you pal.

The sticking point for me is that this year is so different to others with the short Covid-inspired close season that I'd do something similar, at least in the early rounds.

If you notice, the SUFC site's First Team squad has a number of young names on it, and some of them from the youth sides have featured in Scotland and other friendlies.  I'd love to see us playing them, and new signings to give both sets game time and to gell with a smattering of the regular first teamers.  Make as many sub's as possible to blend them in and make them feel part of the team (difficult without a Blades crowd to encourage them I know).

I'll be looking with interest at the players who get game time.

at hillsbrough we struggle to get a first team squad,but our youth teams are doing there best

1 hour ago, bassett one said:

at hillsbrough we struggle to get a first team squad,but our youth teams are doing there best

Indeed - I'm just hoping we play a striker or two at some point 🙄

I agree but I thought only category 1 stated academy can join 

Our only priority should be the Premier League 

11 minutes ago, Justabloke said:

Our only priority should be the Premier League 

What a load of rubbish. 

We need to continue player development in order to...

1. Create home grown talent who are able to force themselves on first team affairs.

2. Generate revenue through sales, we might be a top flight club but a decent academy system can be fruitful.

A great deal of emphasis needs to be placed on our academy set up and it is being, what with the owners investing in a new elite status set up.

Youth player development has and will continue to play a huge part in what we are all about....Premier league or not.

31 minutes ago, cmonkes said:

What a load of rubbish. 

We need to continue player development in order to...

1. Create home grown talent who are able to force themselves on first team affairs.

2. Generate revenue through sales, we might be a top flight club but a decent academy system can be fruitful.

A great deal of emphasis needs to be placed on our academy set up and it is being, what with the owners investing in a new elite status set up.

Youth player development has and will continue to play a huge part in what we are all about....Premier league or not.

While the cup shouldn't be a priority for either Sheffield side I don't think it should be purely a youth side that's played. I'd like to see us both give a game to 3-4 academy players. 

25 minutes ago, NERVY-OWL said:

While the cup shouldn't be a priority for either Sheffield side I don't think it should be purely a youth side that's played. I'd like to see us both give a game to 3-4 academy players. 

Whilst the League Cup with commercial tripe, never the less is a trophy and comes with certain benefits. The FA Cup in my opinion should always be treat with total respect, as the oldest and finest trophy on record....I expect strong sides in both of these competitions personally.

The league trophy is a different sort of challenge and opportunity however  it comes with a fantastic opportunity to blood young players, against seasoned pros.

Winning trophies has never been a bad habit,no matter what level.

if you can get together a young side that develops and gets a taste for silverware,gaining valuable experience along the way,cant see how thats a bad thing.

The one good thing thats really developed under DCs reign is a stronger youth policy,its been a really impressive development.

I for one would welcome our under 23s taking part and would be more than happy to go to the games