Upper Windsor Terrace

Does anyone know exactly where Upper Windsor Terrace was (is?) on Whitham Road in Broomhill.?It's listed in the 1861 census and in directories but I can't see it on any maps. I'm guessing it's near Weston Park Hospital.

There are several terraces which are in 'blocks'  and are part of Whitham Road one is "Dalkeith Terrace" .

Apart from the bomb site they are intact.

As you have a name and birth date for the terrace you could look them up in the 1871 census.

Windsor Terrace/Whitham Road in 1861 and  No.163 Whitham Road in 1873 are the address of the Parkin family.

This indicates that "Windsor Terrace" is the block of houses on Whitham Road opposite 'Richer Sounds' and the 'Nottingham House' in Broomhill.

Edited by Annie Bynnol
More information

Quite an enigma developing here, there is quite a few  historical sites about the broomhall / broomhill area, they may be interested in this puzzle and perhaps offer some help.

Annies suggestion seemed strange to me, it being on such a major road hard to see why houses built right on the side had the designation "terrace" so i had to have a look, even in the 1850's whitham road was classed as undefined and the houses weren't there.

https://maps.nls.uk/view/102345217    

So perhaps the houses were built in the 1860's whilst the road was undefined and the builder picked his own name "Windsor terrace" for his block - after all they had to be called something , this getting  changed when the road was officially named some time before 1873.

In 1863 it was shown as "Hallam gate road" which now exists near by, the road seemed to have a real identity issue, probably due to the speed at which the area developed 

https://www.picturesheffield.com/maps.php?file=031

The block of houses are there then which to me indicates annie is spot on.

Edited by Arthur Ritus

2 hours ago, Arthur Ritus said:

Quite an enigma developing here, there is quite a few  historical sites about the broomhall / broomhill area, they may be interested in this puzzle and perhaps offer some help.

Annies suggestion seemed strange to me, it being on such a major road hard to see why houses built right on the side had the designation "terrace" so i had to have a look, even in the 1850's whitham road was classed as undefined and the houses weren't there.

So perhaps the houses were built in the 1860's whilst the road was undefined and the builder picked his own name "Windsor terrace" for his block - after all they had to be called something , this getting  changed when the road was officially named some time before 1873.

I lived on Whitham Road briefly, address was 1XX Whitham Road. On the wall on the corner of the block and clearly visible are the words 'Dalkeith Terrace' on the junction of Whitham Road and Moor Oaks Road, opposite Richer Sounds.

House numbers were not universal and there was different systems of numbering and chaotic.

It was fashionable for the well off to have a named house or groups of house. eg Windsor, Buckingam, Dalkeith Terraces 

As deliveries of goods and mail became the norm the European address system was adopted in most but no all urban areas with numbers being added and later replacing house names. 

In Broomhill there are many named individual and  groups of houses which are no longer used to identify an address. 

There are many other anomalies and oddities eg Summerfield, the location of the Post Office, the tram tracks on both sides of York Hotel and Crookes Junction. Other areas also reflect this pattern particularly City Road, Abbeydale, Ecclesall, Hillsborough, Burngreave/Abbeyfield

The original route to the West from the centre was via Broad Lane, Lydgate Lane to Crookes and Crosspool

At this time there no settlement in Broomhill. Building Whitham Road/Fulwood Road and Crookes Road made the journey less  steep.

West Street, Glossop Road and Manchester made the journey to Crosspool and the west easier still. On the 1795 map they can be seen as overlays added in subsequent printings.

Better communications, quarrying, leisure, and road junctions created Broomhill It did not really exist in 1795.

Whitham Roads becomes Fulwood Road and Crookes Road  which itself divides into Crookes and Lydgate Lane to Crosspool

Whitham Road is substantially built up in  1851 as shown by the Census.

Whites 1862 directory lists the address as Windsor Terrace, Oaks Bank, this location is shown on the NLS map.

14 hours ago, LLAN said:

Whites 1862 directory lists the address as Windsor Terrace, Oaks Bank...

Quite right - here also is a large-scale 1880s map with Oaks Bank arrowed.

Broomhill.jpg

On 07/09/2020 at 18:58, ValH said:

Does anyone know exactly where Upper Windsor Terrace was (is?) on Whitham Road in Broomhill.?It's listed in the 1861 census and in directories but I can't see it on any maps. I'm guessing it's near Weston Park Hospital.

hillsbro's 1880s map shows the location of Oaks Bank on Whitham Road the 1862 address of Windsor Terrace, to be somewhere between the Richer Sounds building and Parkers Lane.

There's a date stone on the Richer Sounds building for 1888. I guess Windsor Terrace was demolished and replaced by this block of buildings.

This screen shot from Google Maps shows a block of older buildings just above the Richer Sounds building. Could this block be part of the original Windsor Terrace?

Windsor-Terrace.jpg

Hi LLAN - I think the older buildings to the left of "Richer Sounds" may well be part of the original Windsor Terrace. The "1880s" map was actually published in 1890, but from past experience the publication date is often trwo or three years later than the date when the surveying was done. The stone on the  corner of the Richer Sounds building seems to be dated 1880,  so this building should feature on the 1890 map.

Edited by hillsbro

Windsor Terrace is a block of 20 terraced houses on the  Ecclesall Bierlow  (south side) of Whitham Road.

Dalkeith Terrace, Richer Sounds, Park View Terrace, Oaks Bank, would be on the Nether Hallam (north side) of Whitham Road. 

In the 1861 Census, Windsor Terrace is found between Sydenham Place and Buckingham  Terrace on the  Ecclesall Bierlow side. 

Buckingham Terrace is shown on your map "hillsbro " together with boundary between the two.

On your map, "Llan" of 1855  the building and area called Oaks Bank is in existence before the any of Terraces were constructed. So the reference to the location of Windsor Terrace to Oaks Bank is to the area not the shops called Oaks Bank. There are a number of other "Oaks" in the immediate vicinity.

The Oak Bank dwellings are very  different in style and "occupation" to that of the Terraces.

As Windsor Terrace is in a very old Enumeration area called Ecclesall Bierlow it would have odd numbers given to it as standardization of road house numbers were introduced  and  road names merged.  Oak  Bank is on the other side  and would be given an even odd number on Whitham Road

Finally, the same Census names appear as living at Windsor Terrace/ Ecclesall Bierlow/ Whitham Road  in 1861  as in the numbered Ecclesall Bierlow/ Whitham Road census of1871. 

Hi Annie Bynnol - yes, entries in directories and census returns confirm that Windsor Terrace was on the south side of Whitham Road, and may have originally comprised the block of 20 houses that are now numbered 129 to 167. But if so, there may have been some renaming (or errors in listings) as in the 1879 directory Buckingham Terrace comprises Nos. 129 to 143 - as also indicated by the 1890 map - and Windsor Terrace only Nos. 145 to 167. Here is a scan of the relevant part of the listing. After No 167 the next houses with a name of a terrace are those in Brunswick Terrace, Nos. 197 to 211 between Newbould Lane and Nile Street.Whitham-Road.jpg

This 1889 map shows the row of 20 houses more clearly.

1879.jpg

Edited by hillsbro