Benefits Help

Can anyone tell me whose the best people to get help with appealing a p I p  appeal. Was thinking  c a b but been told they not experts on it. Thanks

I used the cab at Hillsborough and they gave me good advice and I won my appeal.  If you appeal make sure you are well prepared as they go through your claim in detail and pick at anything they can.  

10 hours ago, johnever said:

Can anyone tell me whose the best people to get help with appealing a p I p  appeal. Was thinking  c a b but been told they not experts on it. Thanks

If you have a particular disability, and there is a charity/group that deal with that disability, it's a good idea to ask them, as they're usually experts in the field and will have experience of filling in the forms, and appeals etc.

Otherwise CAB can do a pretty good job, but be aware that they sometimes have waiting lists and might not be able to see you straight away. 

Edited by Anna B

get a doctors letter as many cases are won with it,as most folk dont send one in the first place,it does help so if you havent got one get one asap,also as some one said check every bit of there fairy tale story,because many are,if they said you walked 30 yards in one go and you didnt demand they check the ctv,good luck

CAB are good if you've got the right people; you just need sufficient information to back up your case on where you lost points on.
Read what the assessor wrote in your report. If you've not got this, you are entitled to a copy. Just ask the DWP for it and they will send it, along with their reasoning why they denied your PIP. This is a great starting point if you can recall what happened at the assessment and counter any claim they wrote on their report. They are notoriously great at putting irrelevant/incorrect points into the reports to not award claims.
Remember, PIP is based on how your disability/illness affects you on a daily basis, whether it be daily living or mobility.

For example, if you cannot walk for a certain distance, how does that affect your body and mental state? What happens when you walk beyond the capacity you know you can? If you have Autism (this is a wide spectrum, it differs for each person), what traits affect you? Is it the difficulty of social cues, not understanding body language/tone of voice/behaviour? Is it the sheer exhaustion /limited capability of understanding someone, struggling to follow instructions? How do these affect you, and people you interact with? It's trying to think beyond what is there and understanding that you need support.

Depending on the circumstances, as someone else mentioned, it may be worth enquiring to see if there are any local support groups or charities that specifically deal with what you have as they will likely have more information on how it affects you.

Your doctor is also a good point of call if you weren't able to get any written communication from them. They may even charge for such information (as I know I had to get letters and was charged for the printing cost of this). Even a letter from a service you used from the NHS, or private. It all comes down to proof and you explaining in detail how certain symptoms/traits affect you personally.

If you'd like more information, please do feel free to contact me privately. I've supported friends gain their PIP awards so I know the rules behind it all. I can even offer support if you simply need someone to check over your forms and try ask questions to help expand your answers to get the award you could be entitled to.

Good luck.

Edited by burghley