Birmingham Stabbings - Wheres The Outrage?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-54053892

A person has been arrested for this but my comment is

Something happens in the US and everything that doesn't paint black people in a positive light is condenmed on here as being racist

A black man (as the CCTV footage released indicates) goes into a gay area of a UK city and random start knifing people killing one but no thread here about it, no notice of it in the mainstream in comparison to other incidents.

Why the silence?

36 minutes ago, sheffbag said:

Something happens in the US and everything that doesn't paint black people in a positive light is condenmed on here as being racist

A black man (as the CCTV footage released indicates) goes into a gay area of a UK city and random start knifing people killing one but no thread here about it, no notice of it in the mainstream in comparison to other incidents.

Why the silence?

That's why.  Whole different ball game.  Random 'stuff' happens and more likely than not in the western world, the culprit is white but you wouldn't know because it doesn't make the news. This obviously caught your eye.

If (for example) there was any indication it was a terrorist attack it would be front page news worldwide because it is no longer random.

2 hours ago, arrowhead said:

That's why.  Whole different ball game.  Random 'stuff' happens and more likely than not in the western world, the culprit is white but you wouldn't know because it doesn't make the news. This obviously caught your eye.

If (for example) there was any indication it was a terrorist attack it would be front page news worldwide because it is no longer random.

Are you suggesting that if a white man stabbed those people in Birmingham it wouldn't be reported on?

2 hours ago, sheffbag said:

Such as? Which things don't paint all black people in a positive light?

The issues in the US are systematic, over many many years... many of which result in no sanction whatsoever.

This is not the case here, unless you feel the perpetrator won't be charged and will get away with it?

2 hours ago, sheffbag said:

Why the silence?

Why would there be?

In the UK this is an anomaly, it's not the nth time it's happened this year alone and wasn't carried out by agents of the state...

... ultimately, you can't account for weirdos.

I'm not sure what race has to do with it?

It was all over the news yesterday, first story on all news broadcasts, major incident declared, CCTv footage released within 24hrs and a suspect apprehended.

Police were treating it as a random stabbing, if he'd been targeting people the police would have treated it as a terrorist/hate crime. That might still be the case but we'll have to wait until any charges are brought to find out.

what i was reading, there was a lot of things going on in the area, it sounded drink / pub / club related rather than racial or anti gay

Drink / pub / club violence sadly is still part and parcel to friday / saturday nights out in the UK

Just because a black man is the perpetrator (or white) DOESNT make an incident racial, even if the victims are the opposite colour / race, what does is motive and the thinking behind it.

Edited by melthebell

5 hours ago, sheffbag said:

Why the silence?

You are correct.

It isn’t like the members of Sheffield Forum to miss an opportunity for a bit of not-so-casual racism.

It is an appalling incident. Maybe it deserves to be treated with a bit of respect, rather than outrage

Edited by Pettytom

3 minutes ago, enntee said:

What is strange is the absence of reporting on the higher than usual violence, fights etc. going on in the area that night.

That could easily be the reason. If the police are still trying to make arrests, they might only want limited information in the public domain  for now

19 hours ago, the_bloke said:

Are you suggesting that if a white man stabbed those people in Birmingham it wouldn't be reported on?

Oh gosh, no. Not saying that AT ALL in any way, shape or form. 

My comment was in relation to a specific point the OP made. Sorry i didn't make it clear enough for you to understand.

16 hours ago, enntee said:

What is strange is the absence of reporting on the higher than usual violence, fights etc. going on in the area that night.

It was reported, straight away, hence my post above. There was car crashes aswell by all accounts

If he was Muslim, it'd be front page news for days.

Islamophobia sells.