Pc Start Up

When I boot up my PC, Windows 10, sometimes it boots up normally. Other times a message appears telling you to press any key to continue.

As far as I know.  Is there a check I can do to determine this.

What else is in the message? Is it from the BIOS, part of the Windows 10 logo screen, when you login or after startup? Photo would help :) 

Updates seem ok.  The problem still persists.  I have taken a photo, and put it on my PC, but I am struggling to upload it in this message. I cannot  see an attachment icon to do this . I have only got this.      https://ibb.co/kx9RP96

It could be that the CMOS motherboard battery needs replacing as if it's nearly dead it wont hold the previous settings in memory so asks for input each time you boot up. Normally a simple thing to do and easy to replace. 

19 hours ago, apelike said:

It could be that the CMOS motherboard battery needs replacing as if it's nearly dead it wont hold the previous settings in memory so asks for input each time you boot up. Normally a simple thing to do and easy to replace. 

I'd go with that too. The typical battery is 2032 but double check with the old one. Normally if you just power down but don't unplug and don't turn off the power supply, it won't ask every time. NOT the right way to fix it but should be OK until you get a new battery.

Edited by zach
fixed battery number error

18 hours ago, apelike said:

Likewise. It's a CR2032 battery so easy to replace. That message usually implies a change to BIOS settings or new CPU etc so if that's not happened I'd go with new CMOS battery also.

I have replaced the  CR2032 battery, and now my PC boots up normally every time.  It looks like problem solved. Thank you all for your help and advice.

5 hours ago, Greenveg said:

I have replaced the  CR2032 battery, and now my PC boots up normally every time.  It looks like problem solved. Thank you all for your help and advice.

Glad it worked 👍

23 hours ago, Greenveg said:

As above, glad it's fixed, and little cost 😉

You've probably done it but don't forget to set the time and date in the BIOS.