Flu Jab For Winter 20/21

My ex lives in Nottingham, aged 63  but no underlying health conditions, contacted his GP and told all appointments allocated. Contacted various pharmacies to be told all out of stock of flu vaccine. He managed to get on the Oct/Nov waiting list at a supermarket pharmacy 

Having mine done tomorrow at my GPs but have had to wait 2 months for the appointment !

13 hours ago, catmiss said:

My ex lives in Nottingham, aged 63  but no underlying health conditions, contacted his GP and told all appointments allocated. Contacted various pharmacies to be told all out of stock of flu vaccine. He managed to get on the Oct/Nov waiting list at a supermarket pharmacy 

I'm beginning to wonder if someone has messed up again, like they did with the ppe.

Just been on tesco.com/pharmacy and it says: "Unfortunately, we are not currently taking bookings for our £9 Flu Service, due to very high levels of demand". 

I phoned a Tesco store and have been told there is currently a shortage. Marvelous.

EDIT: Just phoned doc's  surgery and they have confirmed there is a shortage of vaccines. 

Just got booked in at Morrisons pharmacy Parkgate late October, on the proviso the vaccine arrive by then. 

For others if it helps ,  they have some slots left at the time of posting this.

Edited by Janus
Additional information.

From 01.12.20 over 50s become eligible for the free flu jab. I don't know if this will continue every year, or whether it is until we are rid of the current  pandemic. 

Quote:

Thirty million people are being offered the vaccine in England's largest flu-immunisation programme to date, with people aged 50 to 64 eligible for a free flu jab from 1 December.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-55003389

On 28/09/2020 at 01:10, catmiss said:

Same age  here, rang my clinic, and receptionist said " yes can you come today?!", said yes,then she said " I've spoken to a colleague  & we have none left, call back mid December to see if we have any, or visit the pharmacies ", ok, I called the Morrisons number and got through to Boots!, " we haven't any, it's liking getting gold", ok, I  rang another number for Morrisons told by them " over 50s from December 1st", but your board in the car park (Dearne valley) has been advertising for weeks, flu jabs £8, "sorry, we can take your name and number and give you a call when it comes in", I left my details and won't hold my breath,  who's kidding who!

On 27/09/2020 at 23:21, whiteowl said:

I called at my local chemist yesterday on an unrelated matter and while I was there I asked whether they did flu shots.

Lo and behold they do and offered to do it there and then! 5 minutes and £12.50 later I was done. (I think you can get it for less at other places but I was there at the time),

They advised that as I've just turned 50 I will "probably" qualify for a free one but at the lower end of the age bracket I'd be in the last cohort to get done.

Touch wood, no side effects so far. Why did I do it? Well, £12,50 didn't seem unreasonable for a bit of extra protection this year, better safe than sorry in my opinion.

Better to ask one's GP. Many already offer inoculations free. Mine provides those for both pneumonia and influenza. For some reason, they have to be injected into opposite sides of the body.

Edited by Jeffrey Shaw

1 hour ago, Jeffrey Shaw said:

Better to ask one's GP. Many already offer inoculations free. Mine provides those for both pneumonia and influenza. For some reason, they have to be injected into opposite sides of the body.

A few weeks ago my husband and myself both had the free influenza and pneumonia inoculations at our GP practice.   Both injections were done in the same arm.

3 hours ago, Jeffrey Shaw said:

Just had a text from my GP for an over 50s flu jab, I also qualify because I work with vulnerable people, but not had it yet as no local availability when I looked.

5 hours ago, Jeffrey Shaw said:

Probably is now, my post was from 2 months ago when things were a bit more up in the air :) 

7 hours ago, enntee said:

Just had a text from my GPs saying that flu jabs are being extended to the younger groups, but stop ringing the surgery to ask about it. 😁

They'll get in touch when they are ready.

I’ve just been contacted by my GP. I’ve got an allocated time in a fortnight. They are doing the injections in a local school. So things seem to be moving

Our GPs have started calling the younger "at risk" group now too.  The receptionist did mention that there's none currently available (in our surgery group at least) for general public who aren't elderly/at risk. 

Just seen RiffRaffs original post. I had the flu jab for the first time this year and also had the pneumonia vaccine both in the same arm. Next day my whole arm was really stiff and I was so tired I just kept falling asleep all day. The day after that I was absolutely fine and have been ever since. I spoke to my brother who said he didn’t have any side effects after his flu jab but that he wasn’t offered the pneumonia vaccine. It was perhaps then the pneumonia vaccine that caused my side effects. However, I am glad I had both jabs, and I was told that you only need the pneumonia vaccine once.