Flu Jab For Winter 20/21

My local GP group had a meeting this morning and said that the uptake of the flu vaccine has not been as much as they would have liked it to be and down on recent years. 

As well as the NHS staff who all get free jabs, education staff should get them free too but they have to pay.

I have an appointment for my flu jab this Saturday morning.

I'm just hoping the new covid regulations won't scupper it.

I haven't heard anything on that score. Has anyone else?

56 minutes ago, Anna B said:

I have an appointment for my flu jab this Saturday morning.

I'm just hoping the new covid regulations won't scupper it.

I haven't heard anything on that score. Has anyone else?

I had my jab last Saturday and instead of the normal turn up for a 8-10 am session and queue up like we did at school for TB jab I was allocated a half hour slot. It seemed as though about 10 people had been given the same slot, all were wearing masks, had to read a Covid symptoms disclosure before entering, queued on designated 2 metre marks supervised by surgery staff and directed to 1 of 2 PPE protected practitioners administrating the vaccine. My time at the surgery and contact with other recipients was considerably reduced  and I felt very safe to receive my 28th flu vaccine. I don’t think recent restrictions will affect your vaccine appointment given the    Governments extension and encouragement of the eligible cohort.

On 25/09/2020 at 00:06, catmiss said:

I had my jab last Saturday and instead of the normal turn up for a 8-10 am session and queue up like we did at school for TB jab I was allocated a half hour slot. It seemed as though about 10 people had been given the same slot, all were wearing masks, had to read a Covid symptoms disclosure before entering, queued on designated 2 metre marks supervised by surgery staff and directed to 1 of 2 PPE protected practitioners administrating the vaccine. My time at the surgery and contact with other recipients was considerably reduced  and I felt very safe to receive my 28th flu vaccine. I don’t think recent restrictions will affect your vaccine appointment given the    Governments extension and encouragement of the eligible cohort.

Thanks Catmiss.

Well I had my jab this morning, went like clockwork. In one entrance, out another, with staff marshalling everybody through.

In and out in minutes. No ill after effects. Thanks NHS; good efficient system.😊

Thank goodness it hadn't been outsourced to Serco...

On 24/09/2020 at 13:06, By By said:

My local GP group had a meeting this morning and said that the uptake of the flu vaccine has not been as much as they would have liked it to be and down on recent years. 

As well as the NHS staff who all get free jabs, education staff should get them free too but they have to pay.

I don't quite see why you think education staff should get free flu jabs like NHS workers.

What is the reasoning behind this?

8 hours ago, Organgrinder said:

I don't quite see why you think education staff should get free flu jabs like NHS workers.

What is the reasoning behind this?

Education staff are exposed to an enormous amount of people, with often very little or no chance of wearing PPE at work.  If flu goes through staff at a school, etc, then the "bubbles" put in place to ensure safety will be burst.  They're trying to keep as many kids in education as possible, after so much disruption this year. 

1 hour ago, feargal said:

Education staff are exposed to an enormous amount of people, with often very little or no chance of wearing PPE at work.  If flu goes through staff at a school, etc, then the "bubbles" put in place to ensure safety will be burst.  They're trying to keep as many kids in education as possible, after so much disruption this year. 

I agree that, under those circumstances, exposure to the virus is possibly increased but I still think that there are many many occupations with the same kind of risk.

A close family member works in a leading Hotel and is exposed to visitors from all over the UK and also all over the world.

This carries the risk of increased exposure too but doesn't lead to free jabs from the NHS.

He has a normal Flu jab every year which he pays for himself and Education staff could do the same.

Once you start making the case for exemptions, it is hard to know where to stop as so many occupations could claim that their risk is the same.

On 08/09/2020 at 22:21, RiffRaff said:

Able to finally move my left arm enough to be able to drive this morning! That's nearly a week since the pneumococcal jab...

This is why I don't have my jab in my arm.  I've only got one working arm, and unfortunately can't have injections in my gammy arm because I have lymphoedema.  Just after that happened I asked my doctor if there was any major reason why I had to land myself in a position where I may not be able to dress or feed myself for an injection that could be given in my leg instead.  After that, I offer my leg instead and if I get a sore leg at least I can still look after myself.

On 04/09/2020 at 23:04, RiffRaff said:

I feel for you.

Asthma and flu... a real nasty combo.

Yes, these folk who have a couple of days off work with "flu" are having themselves on.  What was the old description... if you saw a £20 note on the floor, you'd pick it up if you had a cold. If you had flu, you'd not have the strength or inclination... (Something along those lines, anyway!)

I hope you manage to get sorted without any complications.

Yes thank you, had it a couple of weeks ago and everything is fine.  I don't anticipate being close enough to anybody to potentially catch flu this winter (being on immunosuppressants and having asthma mean that I've been shielding against Covid and am still very careful about getting close enough to other people to catch that) but in the event that I did encounter it, I'm all jabbed and ready to defend against it.

When I had flu over millennium new year, I was living with my (now ex-) husband and his 3 year old twins, so lying down and being ill was not an option, but I went from being fine to emptying a Ventolin inhaler every 2 days and coughing up blood in one weekend.  It's not something I would voluntarily repeat.

Get your flu shots everybody- the last thing that anybody needs is to potentially end up with flu and Covid at the same time!

On a good note for a change, I would imagine that the precautions which most of us are taking against Covid-19,  should also help in cutting down a great deal on the spread of this winters flu.

51 minutes ago, medusa said:

Get your flu shots everybody- the last thing that anybody needs is to potentially end up with flu and Covid at the same time!

The voice of sanity.

Glad all OK for you.

I called at my local chemist yesterday on an unrelated matter and while I was there I asked whether they did flu shots.

Lo and behold they do and offered to do it there and then! 5 minutes and £12.50 later I was done. (I think you can get it for less at other places but I was there at the time),

They advised that as I've just turned 50 I will "probably" qualify for a free one but at the lower end of the age bracket I'd be in the last cohort to get done.

Touch wood, no side effects so far. Why did I do it? Well, £12,50 didn't seem unreasonable for a bit of extra protection this year, better safe than sorry in my opinion.