Flu Jab For Winter 20/21

Able to finally move my left arm enough to be able to drive this morning! That's nearly a week since the pneumococcal jab...

Edited by RiffRaff

1 hour ago, RiffRaff said:

Able to finally move my left arm enough to be able to drive this morning! That's nearly a week since the pneumococcal jab...

I think people react differently so I feel as though I ought to give my positive experience so others aren’t put off. I had pneumococcal and flu jab together, my arm was a bit tender and stiff the same day but fine the day after and no other symptoms. I think it’s more important than ever to have the vaccinations on offer this year 

I've  never had a flu jab so  do you have to apply for a flu jab or does your doctor inform you that you're eligible for one

On 04/09/2020 at 23:04, RiffRaff said:

I feel for you.

Asthma and flu... a real nasty combo.

Yes, these folk who have a couple of days off work with "flu" are having themselves on.  What was the old description... if you saw a £20 note on the floor, you'd pick it up if you had a cold. If you had flu, you'd not have the strength or inclination... (Something along those lines, anyway!)

I hope you manage to get sorted without any complications.

I have had flu twice, and my thoughts are  at first you feel like you are dying, then after a couple of weeks you wish you were !

On 09/09/2020 at 07:51, pintor said:

I've  never had a flu jab so  do you have to apply for a flu jab or does your doctor inform you that you're eligible for one

Over 60s and those with some  underlying heath conditions are contacted by GP late summer to arrange vaccinations. As I understand it over 50s, young children and other health conditions will also be eligible for free jabs this year-probably when the usual cohort have been done. Previously most pharmacies offered jabs to those not eligible via NHS but not sure about that this year given the additional NHS demands 

I've read that the best time to have the flu jab is late October

Always had mine via GP in mid/late September, this years appointment on Saturday 

On 10/09/2020 at 15:01, catmiss said:

Over 60s and those with some  underlying heath conditions are contacted by GP late summer to arrange vaccinations. As I understand it over 50s, young children and other health conditions will also be eligible for free jabs this year-probably when the usual cohort have been done. Previously most pharmacies offered jabs to those not eligible via NHS but not sure about that this year given the additional NHS demands 

Supermarket pharmacy charging £8 for a flu jab!

7 hours ago, enntee said:

NHS say 65 or over.

I stand corrected and sorry I should have made it clear that those not eligible for free NHS vaccinations would have to pay. Had my jab under social distancing regs at GP surgery on Saturday, virtually no queuing and no ill effects!

Edited by catmiss
Addition

Back in July, a plan was announced that over 50's will get a vaccination, once those who are over 65, those who are shielding, school kids up to year 7 and pregnant women are vaccinated.

Granted, it's not shown on the NHS site, but it was announced a couple of months ago.

https://www.pulsetoday.co.uk/news/clinical-areas/infectious-diseases/all-over-50s-to-be-eligible-for-flu-jab-as-30m-patients-targeted/

Edited by RiffRaff
Link added

i went to the local chemist had my annual jab same as i have done for years,some years have to have the odd tablet,but this year fine,no problem.

Catmiss

Had my jab yesterday. Feeling fine today.

Last time I had Flu was 2009-hadn't had a vax. I'd just retired from teaching and was in bed ill with flu for 3 weeks.

Stay Well.