Standard Audio Files No Longer Available On Clip Grab

Anyone still using Clip grab? I`ve always found it to be a good basic application for the odd Mp3 or wmp files. 

These output formats are still there. It is a long time since I have had the need for the output to be  basic audio file. I needed the audio output format recently for one track only, and it appears that this option is no longer available. Anyone know of a fix? Thanks.

Edited by Janus
Typo

A basic audio file? Does it mean a WAV file?

If it does then save your file as the highest quality mp3 then use something else to convert it back to a WAV.

@the_bloke
I will try to explain another way.

All the music I play on the pc and smart phone are Mp3

For all the years I have used 'clip grab', it provided  a choice for  the type of output  file, or end result. Some of these files were Mp3, Mp4, Wmp  audio etc.

If there was a need to put one song on a blank recordable CD, it was possible to do so. This was simply selecting "audio file" as the output type. This is no longer an option.

It only became an issue when a relative erased a song he had on a tape casette in error.   He is "old school' No pc or mob phone etc, but he has a CD/DVD player.

Originally I could have helped him out, but since 'clip grab' no longer provide that type of audio file I cannot help.

Hope that makes sense now.

The "Audio File" selection on the website, will have generated a specific file type, like mp3, mp4, wmp etc, are file types, this may have been a wav file, or raw... without knowing what type it actually generated when selecting "Audio File", we are unable to advise further...

But generally speaking an "audio file" can be one of a multitude of file types (mp3, wav, ogg, aiff, alc... are all examples)

so you want to download youtube clips or the like?  

I use "video downloadhelper" extension in firefox. can output all the various file types you would need.

It's a Youtube etc downloader. There's extensions available without having to install anything.

I would use WinFF - might throw a wobbly in Windows and state it is a virus threat, but works great in Linux in terms of file conversion of both Audio and Video - it is not a 'grabber' but sound/media converter.

https://winff.org/html_new/

On 03/09/2020 at 16:52, the_bloke said:

A basic audio file? Does it mean a WAV file?

If it does then save your file as the highest quality mp3 then use something else to convert it back to a WAV.

noooooooooo thats transcoding...very bad, by their very nature mp3s have frequencies missing, even 320 which is the highest quality mp3s

12 hours ago, melthebell said:

noooooooooo thats transcoding...very bad, by their very nature mp3s have frequencies missing, even 320 which is the highest quality mp3s

I'm well aware of that; but for the sake of just getting some music, it's fine unless he's planning on playing it on some high end system. Considering it's to replace a song held on cassette, I doubt anyone would notice the difference.

1 hour ago, the_bloke said:

I'm well aware of that; but for the sake of just getting some music, it's fine unless he's planning on playing it on some high end system. Considering it's to replace a song held on cassette, I doubt anyone would notice the difference.

I was thinking that, not much point using something like flac then putting it on cassette tape. I use .flac at home but convert to 320 .mp3 for the car. TBH, I've never tried flac in the car, it might play them. I use an old program called LAMEdrop for flac-mp3. I'm sure there's newer and better programs out now.

Audacity does a pretty good job for exporting sound files to different formats - get it from https://ninite.com

Official website: https://www.audacityteam.org/

and just learnt one of the main contributors to the project died in 2018 - https://www.bayareacremation.com/obituary/M.-Vaughan-Johnson/San-Francisco-Ca/1831507 R.I.P.

Edited by swarfendor437

On 14/09/2020 at 13:18, zach said:

I was thinking that, not much point using something like flac then putting it on cassette tape. 

No not going on tape. Going on a CD if I establish which type of file is required for standard CD