Learner Drivers Choosing To Use Automatics.

1 hour ago, RJRB said:

Happy to say I’ve never been in one of those,but will bear it in mind🤔

Time will come RJRB - hopefully not too soon. 

3 hours ago, L00b said:

I find the 3.0 V6 engine of the F-type plenty enough, 'ta 😉

340 horses, and all of them to the rear axle. Yet with the 8-speed autobox, as tame and easy to drive as a 0.9 Yaris...most of the time 😆

Check out this for an Audi Auto.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jp3MzgBsjCo

or the longer version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAgac9UAd_g

Enjoy

On 02/09/2020 at 09:57, Rockers rule said:

The question has to be WHY, if it is true there are more learner drivers wanting to only gain the entitlement to drive Auto.

The question has to be are they ready for the road when they do pass their test.

With the majority of them, I would say it is another example of 'instant gratification'.

There are many examples of that in society these days. People are not prepared to wait or put the effort in. 

1 hour ago, Janus said:

With the majority of them, I would say it is another example of 'instant gratification'.

There are many examples of that in society these days. People are not prepared to wait or put the effort in. 

I feel that overly harsh.   

Lets be frank, who wouldn't if they had the chance take the easier option if offered.

I think it far more likely that the clear decline in people taking manual tests is reflected by the clear increase in purchasing and selling of vehicles which are automatic by default.   That trend is only ever going to go one way and certainly for the next generation of drivers - electric vehicles will be standard.   

So, I think some might be perfectly entitled to argue, what is the point of them learning some archaic dinosaur method of driving  that they are never going to use.

On 02/09/2020 at 09:57, Rockers rule said:

The question has to be are they ready for the road when they do pass their test.

I don't understand the reasoning here.

It could be argued that people are far more road aware having learnt in an automatic due to not having to have part of their brain engaged with gear changing.

I passed my UK driving test with the Post Office and the colleague I shared the instruction with ( 2 x 43 hour weeks, one car, one instructor, two learners) would look down at the gear lever whenever he changed gear. He got into this habit and even a year after passing was still doing it. 

I've been driving an automatic and a manual for several years now and don't have a favourite but find that turning out of, and accelerating away from, junctions is a lot easier in the auto.

5 minutes ago, max said:

I don't understand the reasoning here.

It could be argued that people are far more road aware having learnt in an automatic due to not having to have part of their brain engaged with gear changing.

I passed my UK driving test with the Post Office and the colleague I shared the instruction with ( 2 x 43 hour weeks, one car, one instructor, two learners) would look down at the gear lever whenever he changed gear. He got into this habit and even a year after passing was still doing it. 

I've been driving an automatic and a manual for several years now and don't have a favourite but find that turning out of, and accelerating away from, junctions is a lot easier in the auto.

Hello Max.

My reasoning if you read #24 again was that if the reason for wanting to pass in an Auto was because of being scared of having to deal with a manual gearbox as well as everything else that is part and parcel of daily driving 'were they ready for the road'.

I drive other peoples cars for a living as well as a recovery truck (terrible job for a bloke but someone has to do it I know - LOL)

Choice I don't think I have one. At one time I had a 3ltr Vauxhall Senator auto, a rare 3.2 manual (straight 6 not the horrible V8) Jag and my 1965 Reliant Regal all on the road at the same time and could never decide which one to chose they all had their merits.

The manual Jag was a darn sight better than any auto Jag I've owned or driven and was great fun while i owned it although the clutch was probably the heavist in any car i've had.

A lot depends on the car a manual Carlton was a different beast to an auto Carlton / Senator as is the same with the big Audi Auto's and the equivalent 6 speed manuals, as a personal choice i'd go Auto Audi every time.

We all have habits I probably hold on to a gear leaver for too long but hey ho !

Not sure about the auto being any easier pulling out at junctions.

Its a crazy world in driving land whatever your driving that's for sure.

The main thing is to enjoy what your driving and fully believe a car has to have soul.

The kids wouldn't have liked some of those early autos thats for sure even my favourite motor Fords mk 3 Zephyr (Z cars) Automatic were pretty lack lustre.

I'd like to see some of the kids deal with crash box's and double d clutching - happy daze.

Keep safe.

and remember a car is more than A to B