Learner Drivers Choosing To Use Automatics.

15 hours ago, Becky B said:

Isn't that what I said?!  My question was intended to be a musing as to why someone would choose to test with an auto...

My aunt learned to drive aged 72, when my uncle died. She learned in an auto for ease.

My nephew took his test in an auto aged 25 because his total inability with a gear lever and clutch left him with no option😀

I suppose there are lots of reasons for taking an auto test. I’ve recently bought an automatic car after 30 years of driving manual ones. I won’t be going back, I love it.

its the way forward,only old cars will have gears very soon,why all that messing about,the americans defo got that right with the automatics,its easier and all new ones will be like it.

Much as I prefer driving automatics nowadays I still think that it’s a good idea for younger drivers to appreciate and have the option or skill to drive a manual.

I was converted by an occasional drive in a very old Toyota Corolla and really appreciated the ease of driving ,particularly in queues of traffic.

The modern versions are much more efficient and as far as economy is concerned I suppose it depends how one drives a manual car.

I passed my test in a manual but due to health reasons transferred to an automatic. I no longer drive but I always thought driving a manual was better. And don’t forget passing in a manual you are allowed To drive an automatic as well.

1 hour ago, RJRB said:

(...)

The modern versions are much more efficient and as far as economy is concerned I suppose it depends how one drives a manual car.

That is very true, but the same can be true of autoboxes.

With transitioning to autoboxes full-time, I've found myself driving much more smoothly (as in, less aggressively), yet with still more anticipation than with a manual, to try and brake less often, even though there is no engine braking to speak of with an autobox.

It has had quite the effect on my driving economy, I recall starting with the Merc in 2012 around high 30s / low 40s mpg (diesel :gag:), eventually averaging mid-50s in mixed driving. Same with the 2016 car, started south of 28mpg last year, and now averaging mid-30s.

Auto is the future, especially once ICE cars are banned from sale. Got my first full EV in June, 217bhp, 230 mile range. nearly as quick as my old TVR. Had Hybrids (Toyota) for 5 years before the EV, plus I've got a conventional Auto (Range Rover). The Hybrids and EV are so smooth to drive, very easy - but unrewarding.

Still drive Manuals (TVR Audi and Chevvy) for fun though.

I still think it's worth new drivers learning in a manual to get a 'full' licence though.

I saw somewhere that in the US only 2% of new cars are manual.

When my workplace got auto vans, every single one of them had gearbox  problems, numerous times.

They soon changed back to manual, it must have fost them a fortune.  There was probably over 30 vans, all went faulty, my van was one of the last ones to breakdown. I put that down to me being a smooth driver, not setting off too fast.

3 hours ago, El Cid said:

When my workplace got auto vans, every single one of them had gearbox  problems, numerous times.

They soon changed back to manual, it must have fost them a fortune.  There was probably over 30 vans, all went faulty, my van was one of the last ones to breakdown. I put that down to me being a smooth driver, not setting off too fast.

I looked at some L3 H2 vans and they want over £60k for them!

20 hours ago, L00b said:

With transitioning to autoboxes full-time, I've found myself driving much more smoothly (as in, less aggressively)

Try taking  an Audi S6 out to play L00b (or anything with that luvly 4ltr V8 of theirs) and not drive aggressively - LOL

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The question has to be WHY, if it is true there are more learner drivers wanting to only gain the entitlement to drive Auto.

The question has to be are they ready for the road when they do pass their test.

The standard of driving out there has deteriorated so much so over the years best of luck to them what ever method of transmission they chose.

I could wax lyrically over how even the little Auto's are good now a days & nothing compared to say your Grandads Morris Oxford (Oop's I just have).

If the reason for Wanting to drive an auto is because its less to worry about while avoiding everything that's going on around you while driving begs the question should they really be out on the road? Being scared to drive or don't feel confident enough to drive in the first place doesn't bode well to rest of us out there in driving land.

Yes I'm Old Skool and would probably say go for the full manual test to then choose afterwards.

My worse Auto, a Mk 1 Granada - nice car but no guarantee you were going to overtake anything the thing were so sluggish.

My favourite auto's. both Vauxhall's Carlton and Senator were as good as perfect.

The best Auto i've driven (so far) a Ford Fairlane Hearse - LOL.  Smooooth. 

8 minutes ago, Rockers rule said:

Try taking  an Audi S6 out to play L00b (or anything with that luvly 4ltr V8 of theirs) and not drive aggressively - LOL

I find the 3.0 V6 engine of the F-type plenty enough, 'ta 😉

340 horses, and all of them to the rear axle. Yet with the 8-speed autobox, as tame and easy to drive as a 0.9 Yaris...most of the time 😆

2 hours ago, Rockers rule said:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The question has to be WHY, if it is true there are more learner drivers wanting to only gain the entitlement to drive Auto.

The question has to be are they ready for the road when they do pass their test.

The standard of driving out there has deteriorated so much so over the years best of luck to them what ever method of transmission they chose.

The best Auto i've driven (so far) a Ford Fairlane Hearse - LOL.  Smooooth. 

Happy to say I’ve never been in one of those,but will bear it in mind🤔