Learner Drivers Choosing To Use Automatics.

Apparently there is an increase in the number  of drivers choosing to learn to drive in automatics.

Figures from the DVSA show the number of tests in automatics has risen annually since  2012.

They are stuck with buying only automatics,  unless they take another test in a manual vehicle at some point.

Edited by Janus

It's unsurprising, considering where the automotive world is headed.

There is no manual clutch in an EV, and modern autoboxes are equally as fuel efficient as manuals, even in small-engined cars.

I've let myself be told, that manual boxes are increasingly becoming an optional extra, certainly on the mid- to higher-end stuff (exec cars, not Rollers or such).

Edited by L00b

I am not wholly surprised. 

If its easier and gets someone through their test - why not. 

Plus as the world keep progressing automatics will become the standard thing.    In many countries of the world they have been default option for decades.  Its us Brits that seem to cling onto manual.

In any event nearly all of the next generation of either hybrid and/or full electric vehicles are all automatic as standard.   As soon as electric is mainstream for the next generation of drivers - manual will look as outdated as the horse and cart. 

Edited by ECCOnoob

19 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

I am not wholly surprised. 

If its easier and gets someone through their test - why not. 

Plus as the world keep progressing automatics will become the standard thing.    In many countries of the world they have been default option for decades.  Its us Brits that seem to cling onto manual.

In any event nearly all of the next generation of either hybrid and/or full electric vehicles are all automatic as standard.   As soon as electric is mainstream for the next generation of drivers - manual will look as outdated as the horse and cart. 

Not just you Brits 😉

There is an enduring bias, from older generations in my experience, against autoboxes. Possibly borne from experiencing early(-er) generations of autoboxes which, admittedly, *were* not that good, and made for thirsty cars, never mind tricky braking in some situations (what with brake technology in those years).

I frequently alternate between a 2007 Merc 5-speed auto, my 2016 car's 8-speed auto and my Dad's 2010 C5 6-speed auto. It's night and day, in terms of driving feel and responsiveness, between the Merc (really feels agrarian now) and my car. Literally. My Dad's sort of an in-between, closer to mine in driving feel, but then it was a top-of-the-range model (2.7 v6) back in the day. 

I still drive a manual now and then (our trusty old mk1 MX5, best gear change in the world), but that's more like a guilty pleasure these days. Kid is turning 17 next year and up for lessons and accompanied driving, and tbh I'm not sure whether to recommend she does manual.

i drove manuals for forty years,then leg problem as in all that changing gear,so many of us oldies have realised why go to all that rubbish,when you can use a automatic,plus the younger drivers have realised the future is auto ect,plus many disabled find it easier and older learners as well,we are playing catch up to america ,so its the way forward and its made my life easier and less pain in my old legs,did take a while to get used to but its great now and i would never return to a outdated way of driving even though i could if i wished.

Is it more expensive to learn/take the test in a manual vs an automatic?

As I understand it, if you learn/test in an automatic you can only drive auto, whereas on a manual test you can drive both, thus giving you more options.

Having heard my friend's auto going up a hill, I'll stick to manual for now!

34 minutes ago, Becky B said:

Is it more expensive to learn/take the test in a manual vs an automatic?

As I understand it, if you learn/test in an automatic you can only drive auto, whereas on a manual test you can drive both, thus giving you more options.

Having heard my friend's auto going up a hill, I'll stick to manual for now!

I believe you can only drive an auto if you passed with an auto. Cars are heading that way, vans are still way behind!

1 hour ago, tinfoilhat said:

I believe you can only drive an auto if you passed with an auto. Cars are heading that way, vans are still way behind!

Isn't that what I said?!  My question was intended to be a musing as to why someone would choose to test with an auto...

56 minutes ago, Becky B said:

Isn't that what I said?!  My question was intended to be a musing as to why someone would choose to test with an auto...

Cos it's easy.  But limiting.

6 hours ago, Janus said:

Apparently there is an increase in the number  of drivers choosing to learn to drive in automatics.

Figures from the DVSA show the number of tests in automatics has risen annually since  2012.

They are stuck with buying only automatics,  unless they take another test in a manual vehicle at some point.

And here’s a surprise.   If you take a hgv test in an automatic you can then drive a manual  so I’ve been told but don’t know how true that is 

I've recently changed to an automatic & I now feel less engaged with the driving process. If I'm  not careful, I now tend to drive in auto-pilot mode which is not a good thing to do.