Sony Bravia Tv - Android Keeps Reloading

Well, that puts me back to maybe sticking with LG. Nothing wrong with LG WebOS thing, I just find it a tad boring. I don't go for the cheaper models and can't complain about the picture quality from LG. I know we all have our likes and dislikes when it comes to electronics so I'll keep gathering bits of info such as the above two posts.

I'm curious davyboy, why did you buy a recorder, doesn't the TV do it? Or did you just want more tuners to record from?

There is a "record`" button on the remote BUT if you press it you get a message telling you that it doesn't record!!

All this money was spent because my ancient recorder had failed and I thought it was time to move into the 21st century.

I should have stayed  in the 20th😂

It seems that Sony and Humax are incompatible.

Sony doesn't have free view but its own you view

Having set them both up the sound disappeared.

My wife was severely fed up with  the set up (and me) so I have  an expensive(£200) recorder that can,I assume, record several programmes at once, sitting unconected under the TV.

If you are interested there is a Sony/Humax forum which discusses the problem, which is a bit above me!!

Edited by davyboy

11 hours ago, davyboy said:

There is a "record`" button on the remote BUT if you press it you get a message telling you that it doesn't record!!

All this money was spent because my ancient recorder had failed and I thought it was time to move into the 21st century.

I should have stayed  in the 20th😂

It seems that Sony and Humax are incompatible.

Sony doesn't have free view but its own you view

Having set them both up the sound disappeared.

My wife was severely fed up with  the set up (and me) so I have  an expensive(£200) recorder that can,I assume, record several programmes at once, sitting unconected under the TV.

If you are interested there is a Sony/Humax forum which discusses the problem, which is a bit above me!!

The record function sounds a bit like LG, you have to add storage to use the TV record. It could be a USB stick or portable hard drive, then it formats and records to that. The small bit of internal storage is just for adding apps, you can't record to it.

Like the parrot that refuses to talk when friends come round, my Sony Bravia has put in a faultless performance since I put out my appeal for help. Gggrrrhhh!

I suspect this is going to be a difficult nut to crack, even assuming the same sympathetic ear from John Lewis that Zack received from Currys. There is nothing more annoying than an intermittent fault, particularly when you're trying to show somebody else, and  it looks like a question of waiting until a bad stretch recurs or alternatively just driving it to down to Blackstock Road and taking  it on the chin. Either way, I think I will think carefully before buying another telly :)

18 minutes ago, silverglade5 said:

Like the parrot that refuses to talk when friends come round, my Sony Bravia has put in a faultless performance since I put out my appeal for help. Gggrrrhhh!

I suspect this is going to be a difficult nut to crack, even assuming the same sympathetic ear from John Lewis that Zack received from Currys. There is nothing more annoying than an intermittent fault, particularly when you're trying to show somebody else, and  it looks like a question of waiting until a bad stretch recurs or alternatively just driving it to down to Blackstock Road and taking  it on the chin. Either way, I think I will think carefully before buying another telly :)

Once I got past the first line numpties questions with the...

Have you plugged the TV in

Have you turned the TV on

etc

etc

It was then passed on to a booking person for collection date. The people that collected only had a quick look for physical damage. Chances are that the techs will have seen the problem before and change the problem part/board. For me the after sales is just as important as buying the right thing. I know people like to have a moan about Currys/PC World but I can't fault their service with the TV. I'll probably use them again, and I will be looking for the 5 year warranty on the next TV.

Yes, in the past I have been a bit resistant to Currys, whose sales people seemed to jump on you as soon as you entered their stores, but there has been a definite change of approach in recent years and their policy now seems to be ask whether you need any help then leave you alone.  I like John Lewis and their reputation for fair play but with the easier parking arrangements at my nearest Currys (Heeley )  I would probably buy from them in the future for practical reasons. Zach's positive experience with a problem with a Currys purchase adds to this. 

Sorry I've gone a bit off topic!

Edited by silverglade5
spelling mistake

My 4+ year old LG TV keeps rebooting itself, the sound goes off and it shuts down and starts up again, sometimes it does it several times a night. It hadn't done it for about 3 weeks then started again last week. I spoke with JL who spoke to LG Technical services and they are sending an engineer to take it away and fit a new mainboard.

Edited by iansheff

From my reading of the many replies to this post, I gather the moral is where possible and affordable always buy from shops offering a 5 year guarantee and will probably be around to honour this if and when the time comes. This  probably applies to electronic goods generally, but particularly to TVs  used daily by most people and made up of quite a few complicated solid state and other vulnerable bits.

Thanks again to everybody who has taken the trouble to reply 👍

I can't help with the OPs problem I'm afraid, but I too have a new Sony TV and have had my own issues with it. We have had a couple of power cuts recently and after each one I have had to do a factory reset to get it to work properly again. The main problem being that BBC iPlayer disappears and the only way to get it back seems to be the factory reset. Doesn't take long to be fair, but annoying nonetheless.  If it happens again I may have to consider getting a UPS - which seems a bit OTT! I also have a Humax (Freesat) recorder and it does seem to work reasonably well with the TV - the IR Blaster thing seems to work well to enable the TV remote to work with the Humax box. With this set up, however, I have not found any way of getting the ITV player thing or some of the other on demand services. It's a shame that Sony doesn't support Freesat.

I've had Sony TVs for over 30 years but I think this latest purchase has put me off them a little. Picture quality is great however.

Hi Nobby.  Sorry to hear of your problems with your new Sony TV, which certainly should not happen with a power cut, but there may be something within the design which sets everything back to zero on a sudden unplanned disconnection such as a power cut. Like you I did a factory reset, but with no improvement at all.  Although your problem is different to mine, it may be of interest that I had mine investigated by engineers for John Lewis and it turns out to be a known software fault which Sony are understood to be rectifying  via a software update over the air. It may well be that this will apply in your case too,  although depending on how new your telly I think I would be tempted to reject it with the retailer for a refund or exchange with another make or model.  Could you let us know how you get on some time please as this would add to the general knowledge pool of Sony products? PM me any time if you would prefer.