Public Money Killing Private Enterprise

53 minutes ago, Anna B said:

Mmm, interesting. 

At one time the arts were available to all in an effort to inform and educate the working classes. Even  Shakespeare had room for the groundlings in the pit.

Now there is no doubt that some Art is very elitist and outside the pocket of ordinary people. I doubt, for example, I will ever be able to afford a ticket to the Opera at Covent Garden.    

Not really my thing but just checked the Royal Opera House, Covent Garden website.  Next event is online & it's £16 to watch the Royal Opera live on Sept 4th.

You can have a load of friends round to watch for £16.  Cheaper than most things these days. 

4 hours ago, Baron99 said:

Not really my thing but just checked the Royal Opera House, Covent Garden website.  Next event is online & it's £16 to watch the Royal Opera live on Sept 4th.

You can have a load of friends round to watch for £16.  Cheaper than most things these days. 

Online doesn't really cut it though. The whole thing about live music (of any genre) is surely actually being there. I went to at least one gig on 361 of the 365 days in 2019.  I'll struggle to make 150 gigs this year (live streams obviously don't count).

14 hours ago, Baron99 said:

You can have a load of friends round?  Funny, I thought we were in lockdown and socially isolating!  A little thing called Covid!

On 01/09/2020 at 09:50, Thirsty Relic said:

You can have a load of friends round?  Funny, I thought we were in lockdown and socially isolating!  A little thing called Covid!

But not everyone is following those guidelines or for that matter ever did follow them.  At least not in my experience.    And then when they did contract CV blamed the authorities for some twisted reason

Perhaps some of those might be convinced to buy a £16 ticket to host a live TV opera party  is a good idea.  

If you want to discuss Covid please do so in the existing thread.

On 01/09/2020 at 00:07, Martin C said:

Online doesn't really cut it though. The whole thing about live music (of any genre) is surely actually being there. I went to at least one gig on 361 of the 365 days in 2019.  I'll struggle to make 150 gigs this year (live streams obviously don't count).

I agree totally.

Online is not the same thing at all. A very poor substitute.

Might as well watch the telly.

It's a very sad state of affairs especially for the Lyceum where you are packed tightly to watch a performance and if you introduced social distance there I doubt they'd cover the cost of the performance. I had a booking cancelled there donated 10% of the value used the credit to re-book for 31-10-20 paid a few pounds more only to have them shut down until next year. No one has been in touch to refund my cash. I don't want to demand it if it means they close down permanently. A terrible time for them. If you can travel on a bus or train with a mask is it really much different to go to the theatre and watch the performance wearing a mask for a couple of hours ? Can't they make it work will restrictions be much different next year ? 

Sorry but the Lyceum needed to look at the seating arrangements well before Covid. My friend and I could only get seats in the gods and paid £25 for the most uncomfortable 2 hours we have ever experienced, both of us came out with the curved imprint of the seat in front on our knees and the imprint or bruises of a body part of the person in the neighbouring seats and, in case you’re wondering none of us were oversized 

On 04/09/2020 at 19:01, rachelmum said:

It's a very sad state of affairs especially for the Lyceum where you are packed tightly to watch a performance and if you introduced social distance there I doubt they'd cover the cost of the performance. I had a booking cancelled there donated 10% of the value used the credit to re-book for 31-10-20 paid a few pounds more only to have them shut down until next year. No one has been in touch to refund my cash. I don't want to demand it if it means they close down permanently. A terrible time for them. If you can travel on a bus or train with a mask is it really much different to go to the theatre and watch the performance wearing a mask for a couple of hours ? Can't they make it work will restrictions be much different next year ? 

No, don't give them anything. They got £700K grant just two weeks before announcing redundancies. They get millions in public money, yet charge us £30 for our 3 year olds to see Panto. They have taken public money to make themselves secure, then booted staff out. They could open, so that pubs and restaurants round them could make money, but they've taken the conga and gone to ground. Bet the chief executive isn't furloughed from his 90K a year.

On 06/09/2020 at 00:08, catmiss said:

Sorry but the Lyceum needed to look at the seating arrangements well before Covid. My friend and I could only get seats in the gods and paid £25 for the most uncomfortable 2 hours we have ever experienced, both of us came out with the curved imprint of the seat in front on our knees and the imprint or bruises of a body part of the person in the neighbouring seats and, in case you’re wondering none of us were oversized 

Its the same at the Liverpool Phil.   I realise some places are listed but surely the seats aren't fit for purpose in this day and age.

On 09/09/2020 at 14:25, Sheffield Music said:

No, don't give them anything. They got £700K grant just two weeks before announcing redundancies. They get millions in public money, yet charge us £30 for our 3 year olds to see Panto. They have taken public money to make themselves secure, then booted staff out. They could open, so that pubs and restaurants round them could make money, but they've taken the conga and gone to ground. Bet the chief executive isn't furloughed from his 90K a year.

£700k or not, could they have put on a show with social distancing and break even? Most theatres can't.

interesting and revealing OP, more like this please

On 01/09/2020 at 00:07, Martin C said:

must have lots of disposable then, even local gigs can soct now.