hi i have a motorcycle petrol tank that has been altered, the plate on the bottom say walter fox  suffolk rd  sheffield     it is on a 1920 abc    does anyone know when walter fox was in sheffield from  and did they do this sort of work  thanks

"Walter Fox & Partners Ltd." was a firm of sheet metal workers, listed at 16 Suffolk Road in the Kelly's directories I have from the mid-1930s to the last directory of 1974. Here is a link to a photo on the "picturesheffield" site:

https://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s38011&pos=1&action=zoom&id=114952

Walter fox were well known (famous even) for their car radiators. 

although i'm sure I had a BSA that had a Walter Fox ID plate on its mudguard.

1 hour ago, keith samskeith said:

hi i have a motorcycle petrol tank that has been altered, the plate on the bottom say walter fox  suffolk rd  sheffield     it is on a 1920 abc    does anyone know when walter fox was in sheffield from  and did they do this sort of work  thanks

I think it was Walter Fox's where I had a sunroof fitted in my Ford Cortina  around 1981/2. They had to cut a hole in the roof.

18 hours ago, PeterR said:

I think it was Walter Fox's where I had a sunroof fitted in my Ford Cortina  around 1981/2. They had to cut a hole in the roof.

Morning. It would have been Geoff Clayton who did your Sunroof. They rented a workspace in Fox's building.

On 28/08/2020 at 17:28, keith samskeith said:

Morning. Yes that's the type of work Fox's did. They were highly regarded in the Auto repair business.  They had all the original Presses and Rollers used for making Car panels.  During my time there they worked on a lot of Prestige and old vehicles both mechanical and bodywork. They also repaired Radiators and Fuel tanks. I believe they finished trading in the 1990's ?

8 hours ago, kevvy said:

Morning. It would have been Geoff Clayton who did your Sunroof. They rented a workspace in Fox's building.

Hi Kevvy. It was nearly 40 years ago but, yes, that sounds like the right place. I seem to remember going around the back to deal with matters and being very happy with the work done. Many thanks!

Edited by PeterR

Ernest Damms, who worked as a panel beater/vintage car restorer at Fox's from the 1940s has passed away at the age of 91.

After leaving Fox's Ernest worked at Beighton Motors up to the age of 78.