Wakley Dvd 'Who's Living In A Slum?

6 hours ago, Organgrinder said:

A pity the DVD is not available for public viewing because most of what you mention applies to most of Sheffield,
including Heeley where I was born & raised and which leaves me with so many precious memories.
There was a lot of poverty but, on the whole people were happier in many ways and there was a strong community spirit with neighbours helping out in all sorts of ways.
Things were tough during and after, the war, but I would prefer going back to living in the 40's and 50's rather than today's selfish and greedy world where big cars and foreign holidays

are the only things which matter and big companies have to make Billions of profits rather than  a few Million as used to be the case.

I also agree with AKAMD that we are drifting back in so many ways.
The welfare of the people now takes second place to that of Business and those at the top don't even care.

I have the same memories from Heeley. We were 'poor' but never allowed to complain.

We were told that people were starving all over the world, and they were. We saw it in the magazines and National Geographic,  from Africa (hottentots and pygmies) Russia (sod houses) Even Holland had rural sod houses, and of course China, when the monsoon failed.

Se we grew up thinking we were lucky  to be Brits, instead of feeling sorry for ourselves.

But kids today have lost touch with reality.

6 hours ago, Rockers rule said:

No need for me to look up AC Petite Carosio I know exactly what they were (I think the the bubble car museum in lincolnshire still have one)

There isn't much i don't know about 3 wheelers & still have a few in my collection including a 1957 Mk3 Regal.

Check out 'the Davis' 3 wheeler for a proper 3 wheeler.

Yes even with a bathroom conversion a two bedroom house would effectively be turned into a one and a half bedroom house which  wouldn't have been much better to someone with a growing family. 

Have a trip out to the bubble car museum some time you won't find a Davis but they have a pretty good collection of other makes and a good collection of motorcycles.

and they do camping check our their web site.

Enjoy.

That'll teach me to be presumptuous!

Thanks for recommending the museum, I didn't know about it. I did travel with a friend down the A1 to Pride and Clark in London in his Heinkel bubble car, he was part- exing it for an AJS.

Edited by carosio

18 minutes ago, carosio said:

That'll teach me to be presumptious!

Thanks for recommending the museum, I didn't know about it. I did travel with a friend down the A1 to Pride and Clark in London in his Heinkel bubble car, he was part- exing it for an AJS.

I never drove a Petite but the 500cc AC Invacars were pretty lively. :heyhey:

In the Wakley DVD there is a 330 Regal and a couple of different pictures of what could be either a Mk 5 or Mk 6 Regal shame none of the pics are clear enough to read the number plates.

I've just had a look at the photo's i took last time we were at the bubble car museum.

Their Collection really is quite comprehensive including Heinkels,  Trojan, Reliant , Bond, etc, etc and three of my fav's Nobel, Berkeley and even a Frisky, shame most of the Berkeleys were butchered by those shoving mini engines in them. :sad: