Bramley Traffic Lights

Bramley traffic lights stuck on red again at 5pm causing chaos,ever since the upgrade .why is modern progress so prone to SLOW'!

New technology, it's a social curse!

Just a thought on traffic light sequensing if anyone knows?  I always reckoned that the sensors in the road worked in conjunction with the traffic lights, but earlier today I came down Sheldon Road.  Nice quite bank holiday, early , so virtually nothing on the road so I was somewhat surprised when the vehicle in front of me went through the lights and the lights immediatly changed to red,  Nothing moved, nothing either way on Abbeydale Road, nothing on Broadfield Road, not a pedestrian in sight, so, why change at all unless a vehicle on the main road arrives or a pedestrian needs to cross?

It's just causing extra pollution from needlessly stopping and starting.

58 minutes ago, spilldig said:

Just a thought on traffic light sequensing if anyone knows?  I always reckoned that the sensors in the road worked in conjunction with the traffic lights, but earlier today I came down Sheldon Road.  Nice quite bank holiday, early , so virtually nothing on the road so I was somewhat surprised when the vehicle in front of me went through the lights and the lights immediatly changed to red,  Nothing moved, nothing either way on Abbeydale Road, nothing on Broadfield Road, not a pedestrian in sight, so, why change at all unless a vehicle on the main road arrives or a pedestrian needs to cross?

It's just causing extra pollution from needlessly stopping and starting.

Some sets of traffic signals are set to sit at red on all approaches if there are no  demands from traffic. It's to slow drivers down, as they can tend to go faster if they see a green at every set of signals. If they do that they are working on sensors only and will change to give you a green as you approach them, so it just slows you down a bit.

The traffic signals can be set to work just on sensors or be controlled by the central urban traffic control computer, which will impose different timing plans at different times of the day / day of the week, to better manage traffic conditions.

The vehicle sensors aren't always in the road, there are little boxes on top of the traffic signal heads which are either microwave or video detectors, which pick up traffic movements.

Thanks Planner. I can see sense in that because I have seen drivers speed up to beat lights.

6 hours ago, Planner1 said:

Some sets of traffic signals are set to sit at red on all approaches if there are no  demands from traffic. It's to slow drivers down, as they can tend to go faster if they see a green at every set of signals. If they do that they are working on sensors only and will change to give you a green as you approach them, so it just slows you down a bit.

The traffic signals can be set to work just on sensors or be controlled by the central urban traffic control computer, which will impose different timing plans at different times of the day / day of the week, to better manage traffic conditions.

The vehicle sensors aren't always in the road, there are little boxes on top of the traffic signal heads which are either microwave or video detectors, which pick up traffic movements.

Thank you for this satisfactory explanation; I used to think it was because the lights were possessed.

I'm assuming by Bramley it means the ones at J1 M18. Over the last few months there has been an almost daily presence of  TMS technicians connected to the control box due to constant issues (although in the last couple of weeks they seem to be fine. 

The most dangerous one I personally witnessed was all of them set at green during rush hour.