Morrison' S Hillsborough - Lack Of Access Via Escalators And Lifts

When I came up to Sheffield in mid- December, in  the lead up to  Christmas 2019, I did my old mum's shopping at the nearby Hillsborough Morrison's. The moving pavements and lift weren't working. I came up again in mid  January this year, to  look after my old mum after a cataract operation - and the moving pavements and lifts still weren't working. Then lockdown came in, my elderly and " severely clinically vulnerable" old mum had to isolate for several months, so I wasn't to visit her and stay over in her house with her until a couple of weeks ago, Yet again. I went to do her shopping at Hillsborough Morrison's......and yet again, the moving pavements and lifts still weren't working! No big deal for me - I'm reasonably fit and active and can easily get up and down the steps when I shop there  - but what about the elderly and disabled? I lost count of the number of doddery old and disabled people, on sticks and crutches, that I had to help up and down the steps - and as for the people in wheelchairs or mobility buggies - well - they had no access at all! 

What are Hillsborough Morrison's playing at? There's a hugely elderly and infirm demographic in that area - so surely Morrison's are doing themselves out of a lot of business by failing to fix their lift or moving payment access, I understand that these mechanical lifts and escalators can fail and often  need repairs and regular maintenance - but to leave them out of service for more than 8 months and to deny a huge chunk of their customer base the opportunity to shop  there  not only denies the old and disabled the access to do their shopping , but it also makes no business sense for Morrison's to deny access to people who want to spend their money there. Is it really so hard to get the lift  and the moving pavements working again?

Use the other entrance the other side of the car park, that is flat.

I wonder if Morrisons are just tenants at the barracks and the landlord is another organisation.

Responsibility for the escalators and lift lies with another company, possibly the owner/leaseholder of the site. Apparently Morrison’s are peed off loosing customers such as me who can’t do the steps or long detour with heavy shopping. The frequent breakdowns and slow repair has being going on for years and must have cost Morrisons dear

Edited by catmiss
Typo

As catmiss says this is not the responsibility of Morrisons it is the responsibility of the landlord. Not sure if at the moment it is deliberate policy though as reaction to Covid to take the lift out of action.

Anyone arriving by car is advised to use the car park on the ground level

Why not contact Morrisons anyway

The escalator hasn't worked properly for over 10 years at least.

It very rarely works going up, on the odd occasion it does, within a day or so it is usually broke again.

2 hours ago, Bigal1 said:

As catmiss says this is not the responsibility of Morrisons it is the responsibility of the landlord. Not sure if at the moment it is deliberate policy though as reaction to Covid to take the lift out of action.

Anyone arriving by car is advised to use the car park on the ground level

Why not contact Morrisons anyway

The lift was taken out of action after the fire at the Extra charity shop next door to it.

In fairness to Morrisons some of the previous issues are due to people deliberately pressing emergency buttons to deactivate, usually the up, escalator and finding the resulting distress amusing. Staff then have to scrabble round for the key to reset the escalator. I would hope Morrisons are using access equality to pressure reinstatement of the escalators

I accept that the escalators and lifts are the landlord's responsibility, not Morrison's themselves, but you'd think they'd chase up their landlord to get the access problems fixed, given that it's doing them out of a lot of business. Most elderly and infirm people I know who shop there would get the bus to and from the  Hillsborough Interchange when doing their Morrison's shop. I know that there's level access via the far side of the car park, but it's a bit too much of a trek for a lot of the old and doddery folk.

I'm sure the store management regularly chases the landlord but the reality is there probably isn't much they can do to force them to take action any faster than they are now. 

I know under previous managers of the store that they were just as frustrated as anyone about the problem of the lift /travelator not working whether the exiting management share these concerns is a different question

i would imagine the landlord will be saying that repair is difficult under social separation rules - how true that would be I don't know