Train Ticket MacHine At Chapeltown Station

I'm just glad I don't use the train any more!  Last time I did, I bought a ticket at the ticket office.

Not a great help to the OP's relative, but there are a number of ways to buy/collect tickets, only one collection method that needs a bit of advance planning, that being the one where for longer journeys involving multiple operators means you HAVE to obtain a paper/card copy.

I use the rail service quite a lot, and never have a problem. For future planned journeys, I buy the ticket in advance on-line and use the best available option - download to my iPad or 'collect' at my originating station on the smart-card, or collect in advance from the ticket machine at the station, if it HAS to be a paper ticket.

For shorter or 'impulse' journeys, I again buy online and download to the iPad - you only need (usually) to allow a few minutes for it to become available.

Most people able to travel should be able to use the on-line purchase option, surely?

58 minutes ago, AKAMD said:

I'm just glad I don't use the train any more!  Last time I did, I bought a ticket at the ticket office.

So did I,  Monday in Sheffield.

3 hours ago, ECCOnoob said:

I'm sorry but that seems rather over paranoid.  Card payment ticket machines have been around for decades and cashpoints have been a fixture on our  high street since the 70s.

With regular check on ones bank statement it can be easy to spot any rogue transactions and report them to the bank.  Otherwise if you are that worried about thieves accessing your primary account I would suggest obtaining a prepaid or low value credit card so you can minimise the risks I'm having to use electronic machinery such as this. 

The fact is that e-payment is ever expanding and is unlikely to be slowing down. This is even more so in the wake of the covid outbreak.   A reluctance to use it will mean that you will likely be left behind or even completely debarred from accessing certain services.   

This, absolutely.

I’ve just opened an account with Revolut,  to use when I’m out and about. This gives me a contactless card that I can top up as I choose.

An increasing number of places won’t take cash,  quite a few of them also want my name and address for contact tracing.  I’m not too happy about divulging so much info to so many companies , so my Revolut card allows me to place a bit of distance between my personal details and my proper bank accounts.

It was 1980 Annie Bynnol and the ticket office was the only place to buy one!  £15 return Sheffield to London!

1 hour ago, AKAMD said:

It was 1980 Annie Bynnol and the ticket office was the only place to buy one!  £15 return Sheffield to London!

Thomas Cook and Woodcock Travel and many other travel Agents acted as agencies for British Rail.

Edited by Annie Bynnol

Never used travel agents in the 1980s, didn't need one for Scarborough!

On 28/08/2020 at 16:15, RollingJ said:

For shorter or 'impulse' journeys, I again buy online and download to the iPad - you only need (usually) to allow a few minutes for it to become available.

Most people able to travel should be able to use the on-line purchase option, surely?

not everyone travels with an ipad or smart phone AND I would guess that if someone was having trouble using the ticket machine at the station then they would not be comfortable doing it on line

3 minutes ago, Bigal1 said:

not everyone travels with an ipad or smart phone AND I would guess that if someone was having trouble using the ticket machine at the station then they would not be comfortable doing it on line

I take your point - a bit - but from my personal observations, VERY few don't seem to travel, or go anywhere, without a phone - even those older than me, and I'm 66.

I've got a mobile phone and that's what I use it for: to phone/text and access internet.  Wouldn't use it to pay anything!  That's what money is for!

7 minutes ago, AKAMD said:

I've got a mobile phone and that's what I use it for: to phone/text and access internet.  Wouldn't use it to pay anything!  That's what money is for!

Why not? If you order and pay for your ticket on-line, you may not even have to queue to collect it - many tickets will download automatically to a mobile device, and you have less chance of losing them, as well as saving time.

On 28/08/2020 at 22:26, AKAMD said:

11 hours ago, AKAMD said:

Never used travel agents in the 1980s, didn't need one for Scarborough!

Confusing. 

You were going to London.

The ticket office was not the only place to place to buy a a railway ticket, neither was cash the only way to pay.

Most towns had a Travel Agent that were agencies for BR.

Both sold  their tickets for cash, personal cheques, debit card, credit card, travellers cheques, vouchers and personal  or business accounts.

Decades ago I regularly bought 3 month return tickets to Grindleford  and regional tickets not available from Sheffield on the day of travel at Woodcocks in Broomhill.

There were many ways of paying then. There are many ways now. Just choose which one you want.

Edited by Annie Bynnol