Train Ticket MacHine At Chapeltown Station

An older friend in the Chapeltown area is mightily <removed> off (and embarrassed!) because he couldn't figure out the self-service ticket machine at this station. He got as far as "Add To Basket" but then claims he couldn't get any further(?). I've never used these machines. Does anyone use them often enough to tell us at what point he should insert card and make payment? I'm not able to get there myself. 

Edited by nikki-red

It's fairly self-explanatory, just follow the on-screen instructions.

They've been broken previously, you just got on the train and got a ticket off the conductor.  Hardly end of the world.

Edited by geared

Another example of technology being a curse on society, like computer-generated letters, automated phone systems, social media, telephone bill payments, online banking (fraud), cashless payments!!!!  All of which have been forced upon us by faceless conglomerates in the name of (their) progress.  What happened to personal service?  Gone, with all the jobs that provided it.

Izzy Contact Northern Rail and explain the problem they are best placed to help you but to date I have not seen any ticket machine on the railway that is difficult to use - main problem is that they may not sell the ticket for where you want to go or highlight cheapest fare but they are not hard to use

Please do not forget personal service comes at a cost and most of the 1000 or so people a day using Chapeltown Station have no need of such a service most of the time - sure some of the solution are not perfect already people complain about the fares on the trains  so if you want that personal service someone will have to pay for it

Morning, I live in Chapeltown but it's been a very long time since

we use the train and as it's been said these ticket machines are idiot proof,

but I am reluctant to use my plastic in any machine which is open to abuse

such as ATM's, can any one tell me can you buy a ticket on the train,

or do you buy a ticket when you get off, Chapeltown to Barnsley,

at what time can you use a Bus Pass, how far in South Yorkshire can

you travel on a pass. Much appreciate any help on this we usually drive

but road travel these day's is getting what I can only say as more aggressive

with parking in Barnsley getting harder to find. Thanks

You MUST buy a ticket before you travel and the only exception to this is if the ticket machine is not working and there is no open ticket office - which is something they check so they would know if you were lying

No ticket and you will incur a penalty fare

If you really don't want to use the machine the only thing you can  find the conductor BEFORE you get on the train and explain the situation to them - many will allow this but not if you ask after getting on the train

Best thing to do is to ask the "guard" on the train if they will let you on and pay.

An older person who is distressed would  be helped.

This would also apply in most areas if cash payment is unavailable. 

Be aware that the "system " knows if the ticket machine is faulty and avoiding payment by claiming it is escalates the cost and risk of legal proceedings considerably.

I was told that you can get a " promise to pay ticket " from the

machine, what if you only just get to the train before it pull's out

having no time to buy a ticket would they hold the train up for you ?

Edited by MEC176

30 minutes ago, MEC176 said:

I was told that you can get a " promise to pay ticket " from the

machine, what if you only just get to the train before it pull's out

having no time to buy a ticket would they hold the train up for you ?

No it is up to you to turn up with time to buy your ticket they are not going to delay trains as this can incur heavy financial penalties

If you board a train without a valid ticket then tough

1 hour ago, MEC176 said:

Morning, I live in Chapeltown but it's been a very long time since

we use the train and as it's been said these ticket machines are idiot proof,

but I am reluctant to use my plastic in any machine which is open to abuse

such as ATM's, can any one tell me can you buy a ticket on the train,

or do you buy a ticket when you get off, Chapeltown to Barnsley,

at what time can you use a Bus Pass, how far in South Yorkshire can

you travel on a pass. Much appreciate any help on this we usually drive

but road travel these day's is getting what I can only say as more aggressive

with parking in Barnsley getting harder to find. Thanks

I'm sorry but that seems rather over paranoid.  Card payment ticket machines have been around for decades and cashpoints have been a fixture on our  high street since the 70s.

With regular check on ones bank statement it can be easy to spot any rogue transactions and report them to the bank.  Otherwise if you are that worried about thieves accessing your primary account I would suggest obtaining a prepaid or low value credit card so you can minimise the risks I'm having to use electronic machinery such as this. 

The fact is that e-payment is ever expanding and is unlikely to be slowing down. This is even more so in the wake of the covid outbreak.   A reluctance to use it will mean that you will likely be left behind or even completely debarred from accessing certain services.   

We all know to allow time for your journey but sod's law can happen and

the consequences of not having a valid ticket, never thought they really

would hold a train but train's like buses can be early.

Age must be telling I can remember when steam trains ran through

Chapeltown and the Asda car park was a marshalling yard for Izal goods wagons.

37 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

I'm sorry but that seems rather over paranoid.  Card payment ticket machines have been around for decades and cashpoints have been a fixture on our  high street since the 70s.

No not Paranoid never been threatend by ATM's where ever they are even when

they first appeared on the high street, my original question was what is the prosedure for buying a train ticket if I did not have time to use the ticket machine.

The expectation has always been that you allow enough time to purchase valid a ticket for the train you want to board.

The provision to pay by other means has evolved over time. The "Pay Train rules" about paying on the train was introduced  and have now gone.

The  concept of "Pay Train" created a misconception that you were entitled to pay on the train when no other facilities were available, encouraged  by the income stream which went directly to the train operator.

There are exceptions to the rule of you must have a ticket before boarding. They can will cost you more unless you can prove that  you are not at fault. 

If your timekeeping is a problem consider other combinations of buying online and keeping tickets  on your phone, printing at station, buying tickets in advance. 

There are times when there is a faulty machine, or the only alternative is to need to pay by cash , ticket type not so sold  or a big queue of over 10 minutes etc., connections, get photographic evidence of machine and departure board Get a "Permit to Travel or Promise to Pay" by choosing your destination station and pressing the "Promise to Pay" button.

Ask the "Guard" before boarding. This would also apply in most areas if cash payment is unavailable. 

If asked at the gate line or on the train give name and address and pay the "Penalty Fare" and appeal later. This is not a "fine" or a civil or criminal legal matter. It will be if refuse or if you lie.

Be aware that the "system " knows if the ticket machine is faulty and avoiding payment by claiming it is escalates the cost and risk of legal proceedings considerably.