Cost Of Painting Windowsills And Lintels On Terraced House?

Hello,

Does anyone know what the "going rate" is? I have been quoted £100 and £300 so far (both not including paint) - I found it surprising how they can be so different. Although one is tempted by the cheaper price, I am suspicious it may be too cheap and shortcuts might be taken!

N

We have been doing our own decorating for the last few years, our decorators charge £150 per day for labour plus materials. You can get them cheaper but the finish isn't as good.  One seems to be quoting  the rate for a day or just under, the other for two days. Are these people doing it legitimately, paying tax and insurance etc or just on the fiddle? We have always chosen legitimate businesses. Ask for copies of their insurance, quote, invoice  etc should help you there.

We recently paid about £200  plus vat for sills, lintels and varnishing of wooden frames on the whole terrace house.  It was one painter, and his lad doing the prep work, so that may be why it was cheapish.