Have Charity Shops Reopened?

Can anyone tell me if charity shops are now accepting donations and is the one on the gallery above Morrisons at Hillsborough still open,  Many thanks

Edited by nikki-red

Blue Bell Wood in Chapeltown is open and taking item's

St Luke's is still closed but their warehouse off Petre Street

Grimesthorpe is open for donations, but ring first.

Fieldhouse Way Industrial Estate, Petre Street
Phone: 0114 268 0036
Postcode:
S4 7SF

1 hour ago, kay1 said:

Can anyone tell me if charity shops are now accepting donations and is the one on the gallery above Morrisons at Hillsborough still open,  Many thanks

I think there is MIND up there, the one next door to it (Extra Care?) burnt out just before Corona hit.

The Cats Protection charity shop on the bus station end approach to Morrison’s is also open and accepting donations 

As is the Sheffield Cats Shelter shop, but I think that they are taking donations in by appointment in order to manage items coming in.

7 hours ago, medusa said:

As is the Sheffield Cats Shelter shop, but I think that they are taking donations in by appointment in order to manage items coming in.

I must get their phone number the next time Im down there as I have a lot of things to donate. I usually get BHF to pick them up but they are not accepting anything at the moment.

I used to enjoy going for a stroll round the charity shops, but it's just not worth the effort now. A lot of them still haven't reopened, and those that have are sometimes only open for reduced hours or on certain days only. Then there's the queuing outside, mask wearing, hand sanitising, only allowing a certain number of people in (sometimes a ridiculously low number for the size of the shop - and often means that if you go as a couple, one of you ends up stranded outside), one way systems, and then you're told not to browse for too long - I mean, what do you go into a charity shop for except to browse, it's not like going into Sainsbury's for a pint of milk.

Surely now, when it's estimated that about one in 2000 people might have the virus, the chances of getting close enough to one in a charity shop is pretty small,  yet in March when the infection rate was at its peak, they were happy enough to open when we didn't have any of these things. People used to go shopping because it was a pleasurable experience, but it simply isn't any longer, it's just  a struggle and a pain. The country will never get back to anything like normal while the current level of fear and paranoia continues.

14 hours ago, Groose said:

I think there is MIND up there, the one next door to it (Extra Care?) burnt out just before Corona hit.

It's Sense, not Mind, and to their credit they at least did reopen pretty much as soon as ordinary shops were able to.

Edited by metalman

2 hours ago, metalman said:

I used to enjoy going for a stroll round the charity shops, but it's just not worth the effort now. A lot of them still haven't reopened, and those that have are sometimes only open for reduced hours or on certain days only. Then there's the queuing outside, mask wearing, hand sanitising, only allowing a certain number of people in (sometimes a ridiculously low number for the size of the shop - and often means that if you go as a couple, one of you ends up stranded outside), one way systems, and then you're told not to browse for too long - I mean, what do you go into a charity shop for except to browse, it's not like going into Sainsbury's for a pint of milk.

Surely now, when it's estimated that about one in 2000 people might have the virus, the chances of getting close enough to one in a charity shop is pretty small,  yet in March when the infection rate was at its peak, they were happy enough to open when we didn't have any of these things. People used to go shopping because it was a pleasurable experience, but it simply isn't any longer, it's just  a struggle and a pain. The country will never get back to anything like normal while the current level of fear and paranoia continues.

It's Sense, not Mind, and to their credit they at least did reopen pretty much as soon as ordinary shops were able to.

2 hours ago, metalman said:

Thanks , I will call in there tomorrow. BHF is open but not accepting anything  only selling from the shop.

I agree shopping is not a pleasure anymore but perhaps that’s what’s needed with the virus still active and a possible rate rise due in Autumn and with schools reopening.

LIke many people, I've been using Covid as a time to sort stuff out - much of it I would normally take to charity shops but like others have pointed out, they are either closed/not taking donation.  I'm afraid I'm getting close to simply throwing stuff to fill my black bin when that is due next.  Sad, but I need the space!  I've looked into those charities that give you plastic bins and say they will collect on certain days, but  when I've tried, they don't turn up, so I sheepishly have to bring it in again.

There are also scammers out there as has been shown before on tele where they call round and collect them a few hours before the legit charities turn up.  They also have been caught stealing from the big charity donation trailers you see in big supermarkets.

We try to give to charities, but these days it's very hard to do!

I always like to be able to give things to charity shops where possible, but Covid has caused difficulties (travel, shops being closed, them having to sanitise items prior to distribution etc).  There is a different thread on which charity shops are open, but this is a different idea.

I think it would help all concerned if large notices were put in charity shop windows telling us what items that shop are particularly short of, and how to get the the items to them.  Taking a dozen shirts to a shop that has plenty of shirts is not as helpful as it could be!  Particularly if another shop has the opposite stock levels.

This is not a new idea - just prior to Covid I saw such a notice in the Stroke charity shop at the bottom of the Moor.  That said what they were particularly short of, and a phone number that could be contacted to pick up large donations.  Add to that when the shops are open to receive donations, and I think that would be helpful.