Blades Signing Prospects

CW is considering several players for many positions but how many players on the teamsheet as subs ever get game time, doesn't make sense.

We need to score a lot more goals to finish ninth or above next season and to me fresh legs in that department is the answer to this towards the end of the games

Lets see what difference the friendlies produce

Edited by Groose

Early days yet in the transfer window,  summer breaks etc, cubs have till October 5th to sort transfers out. Blades need more goal threat upfront,  hopefully Watkins might still be on the horizon, rumours of Robinson going to WBA in exchange for Burke, I'd rather have the cash tbh, & maybe L Freeman moving on, but as I say early days yet.

I know that this has been a Covid-hit season and so not really representative, but I think it is clear that we do need cover in a few areas.  We had relatively few injuries and suspensions, yet where would we have been without the contributions of Jack Robinson and Ben Osborn?  On a number of occasions, CW did not even have the resources to fill the sub's bench.  It is with this in mind, and the very real  possibility of losing players to other clubs (who often pay bigger wages) that we are actively looking at recruiting fresh faces.

Whereas the cry year after year is for more and more expensive central strikers to get goals, each time we do that it does not stop the same call the following year.  We paid good money recently for Mousset and McBernie, yet I keep hearing calls for us to buy another one or two at big money.  I assume we'll be trying to get Zivkovic back on loan for another season (I've heard good reports of him in training) to join Sharp and McGoldrick, so we'd already have 5 strikers for 2 starting places (assuming Leon Clarke and Robinson move on), or more if they don't.

I think that now the goalkeeper position has been successfully resolved, that the majority of movement will be in defence and midfield.  Jags has resigned to cover emergencies at the back and I expect him to move into coaching with us as well.  Personally, I can't see how Rodwell fits in, but in CJ we trust.  That leaves us hoping that the regulars stay, and fresh legs are brought in to bolster both of these areas.

We also need to be ready for when big bids come in for our regular starters, with identified replacements either already purchased, or with their agents already on speed-dial.  In the company we are keeping, I think we have to be resolved to losing one or more of our favourites when the players get back from their holidays and quarantines.

A mate mentioned to me that the Blades are showing interest in WBA right wing, Oliver Burke?

Let's see if that comes to anything? 

Liverpool striker, Rhian Brewster possibly heading to the Lane in a loan move? 

https://www.teamtalk.com/news/tottenham-target-rhian-brewster-tipped-sheffield-united-loan

Some media outlets on the Internet are also suggesting that the Blades are lining up a £15 million move to actually buy him!? 

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2020/08/27/report-sheffield-united-will-bid-15m-for-player-steven-gerrard-called-magnificent/

Edited by Baron99

Brewster was mentioned a while ago as a loan target, but then a few other PL teams showed interest, and I thought ours had cooled.  We were also meant to be the front-runners for the Brentford lad, Ollie Watkins, but then Villa and others were quoted to be waving more money around.

Either way, we are in a far better position to attract players than at the start of last season, after a tremendous 2019/20.  A great performance and position last season, Henderson thrived on loan with us, and more money to spend thanks to our finishing position.

Sky reporting Max Lowe passed medical at SUFC. Also signing Jayden Bogle. Both Derby players. Reported at £ 15 million the pair, although not necessarily accurate. Aged 20, and 23. Cover for Baldock and Stevens ( I think ?).

Hope we sign a striker. Either that or Mousset and McBurnie find their scoring boots.

Both signed now. Back ups for George and Enda

Fleck starts for Scotland

Another update.  We have signed Ethan Ampadu from Chelsea on a one-year loan.  Very exciting Wales international - either a holding midfielder or centre-back.  Couldn't break into Chelsea team, so went on loan last year to R B Leipsig.  Had an injury-hit year, but I saw him playing centre-back in the Europa Cup, and was Man of the Match in that game.  Not the tallest, but boy did he cover well!  In addition, he was clearly the best passer of a ball in that match, short and long. 

Welcome to BDTBL Ethan!

Reports on Burke from all sources mention pace, strength and talent.  Behind that you also also note that it has "not worked out" at a number of clubs, and the end result is that he has been surplus to requirements at a number of clubs.  A lack of final ball passes, crosses and more worrying for a forward, a lack of goals is also reported, even at Celtic where lots of chances are created.

Yes, CJ has turned a number of players round, and moved on those he couldn't work his magic on.  A loan certainly could work....

Hopefully, if it doesn't and we send him back, does that then mean we can have another loan?

I really hope you're right - I do hope a real goalscorer is the final piece of transfer business.

Hope JOC is fit for Monday and more to the point he's still with us after transfer window shuts. Pleased that Lunny is staying