Are The Songs Land Of Hope And Glory And Rule Britannia Racist Propaganda?

On 24/08/2020 at 18:59, iansheff said:

The BBC is said to be considering dropping the anthems from the concert on September 12 amid fears of criticism in the wake of the Black Lives Matter movement because of their apparent links to colonialism and slavery.

Professor Kehinde Andrews of Birmingham City University claims two anthems are 'racist propaganda'  

Which parts of either song are racist?

10 minutes ago, West 77 said:

The new boss has decided to allow the words for Rule Britannia to be sung by a small group of singers which is good news to all of us who have pride in our country and aren't anti British.

I like the song and I'm glad it will now be sung, but the notion that if you don't like it you're somehow "anti British" is ludicrous in the extreme.

Jingoistic claptrap fit only for simpletons. :loopy:

On 02/09/2020 at 13:24, the_bloke said:

Which parts of either song are racist?

I think its because racism is inferred due to the songs being british..       and some brits who were alive several generations ago did something that brits today are entirely to blame for according to the very young... or some twisted reason like that

On 02/09/2020 at 18:49, Magilla said:

I like the song and I'm glad it will now be sung, but the notion that if you don't like it you're somehow "anti British" is ludicrous in the extreme.

Jingoistic claptrap fit only for simpletons. :loopy:

And by that proxy the notion that if you do like it you're somehow racist is also ludicrous in the extreme is it not? But that's the accusation getting thrown around

10 minutes ago, sheffbag said:

And by that proxy the notion that if you do like it you're somehow racist is also ludicrous in the extreme is it not? But that's the accusation getting thrown around

It's an accusation made by a very tiny minority of people, blown out of all proportion to give Boris something to say rather than having to resort to fridges again.

It's a common theme, the notion of "being robbed"... it's all Boris has left to rally the faithful.

IMHO, the entire story is largely manufactured. I doubt the BBC were ever considering not playing them at the proms.

23 minutes ago, sheffbag said:

agreed

They were never not going to play them, they just weren't going to sing them because of the covid to the best of my knowledge.

47 minutes ago, Magilla said:

IMHO, the entire story is largely manufactured. I doubt the BBC were ever considering not playing them at the proms.

Yep, by the Daily Mail.  Making spurious links and stretching the facts:

BBC announces there will be no audience at the Proms.

DM works out that no audience = no singing.

DM starts an outrage campaign against the BBC.  Throw in some accusations of it being race related for good measure.

BBC sighs as it can't win.

Edited by alchresearch

Yes I watched the Proms, didn’t sing along though, it was different because of social distancing but I enjoyed the music and the singing by all.

Edited by hauxwell

1 minute ago, West 77 said:

The lack of a crowd did spoil the show. They shouldn't have had a foreign composer and a foreign main singer this year. It would have been better to cancel the show this year.  The best program over the weekend was the Piers Morgan interview with Sir Captain Tom which did make me proud to be British.

I definitely agree with you about Sir Captain Tom, what a remarkable and honest man he is.

19 minutes ago, hauxwell said:

I definitely agree with you about Sir Captain Tom, what a remarkable and honest man he is.

Something which certainly cannot be said about his scumbag interviewer.