Are The Songs Land Of Hope And Glory And Rule Britannia Racist Propaganda?

As Frankie Boyle recently remarked, as the country lurches from one disaster to another, the lyrics take on increasing comedic value.

On 24/08/2020 at 18:59, iansheff said:

I put a question mark in the title after reading the article below, why do people want to whitewash (can I say that?) our history. 

The BBC is said to be considering dropping the anthems from the concert on September 12 amid fears of criticism in the wake of the Black Lives Matter movement because of their apparent links to colonialism and slavery.

Professor Kehinde Andrews of Birmingham City University claims two anthems are 'racist propaganda'  

One musician suggested replacing the songs I Vow to Thee My Country or The Beatles' All You Need Is Love;

These two songs are sung with pride and enthusiasm at the Last night of the Proms and we have the BBC considering dropping the songs just to appear PC.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8657909/Academics-demand-Rule-Britannia-Land-Hope-Glory-BANNED-Night-Proms.htm

There are songs with indecent content played on national tv and radio everyday, nobody stops those.

People seem to forget you don't have to watch anything you don't like.  

We don't live in an Orwellian nightmare yet.

Although arguably public surveilance levels are slowly getting there.

Although I do admit I do hate being in my own home sometimes even with the windows closed and being able to hear other people's music being played in their homes gardens and vehicles. 

I dont imagine that happening withthe proms though unless you are unfortunate enough to live in student bedsit land

1 hour ago, MarcyC said:

There are songs with indecent content played on national tv and radio everyday, nobody stops those.

People seem to forget you don't have to watch anything you don't like.  

We don't live in an Orwellian nightmare yet.

Although arguably public surveilance levels are slowly getting there.

Although I do admit I do hate being in my own home sometimes even with the windows closed and being able to hear other people's music being played in their homes gardens and vehicles. 

I dont imagine that happening withthe proms though unless you are unfortunate enough to live in student bedsit land

It all hinges on the claim...

"The BBC is said to be considering dropping the anthems from the concert on September 12 amid fears of criticism in the wake of the Black Lives Matter movement because of their apparent links to colonialism and slavery."

...being true.

It's not :roll:

Dropping the anthems was not being considered, there is no singing because there's no audience due to Covid.

The entire story is a fabrication, built on nothing more than hearsay...

...or do you think it was coincidence that it was pretty much the only subject Boris wanted to talk about in the press that week? :hihi:

Edited by Magilla

The lyrics to 'Rule Britannia' and 'Land of Hope and Glory' have always been sung by performers on the stage with the audience joining in, they aren't just an audience singalong session. The BBC decided to drop them from the program to pander to Black Lives Matter then decided to do a karaoke version after the backlash. It certainly isn't a fabrification.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/bbc-rule-britannia-dropped-proms-black-lives-matter-a4531271.html

I keep hearing they are not singing as there is no audience.  If that is the case why are they playing the music?

1 hour ago, despritdan said:

The lyrics to 'Rule Britannia' and 'Land of Hope and Glory' have always been sung by performers on the stage with the audience joining in, they aren't just an audience singalong session.The BBC decided to drop them from the program to pander to Black Lives Matter then decided to do a karaoke version after the backlash. It certainly isn't a fabrification.

Or they just engaged some common sense and decided, since we're in the middle of a pandemic, that singing at the top of your lungs might, just might, not be the right thing to do under the circumstances :?

"According to reports", not one of which The Standard was able to corroborate, unsurprisingly, because they made it up!

The best they can do is string together some disparate and personal comments by some BBC employee's...

...but hey, why engage common sense when a conspiracy theory will do! :thumbsup:

Edited by Magilla

Land of Hope and Glory and Rule Britannia both in the top 10 this week. seems people do want to hear these songs

Edited by sheffbag

5 minutes ago, sheffbag said:

Land of Hope and Glory and Rule Britannia both in the top 10 this week. seems people do want to hear these songs

I do.       :thumbsup:

4 hours ago, francypants said:

I do.       :thumbsup:

🎵

Land of hope and glory, mother of the free, 🎵

🎵 How shall we extol thee, who are born of thee, 🎵

🎵 Wider still and wider shall thy bonds be set, 🎵

🎵 God, who made thee mighty, make thee mightier yet, 🎵

Happy to oblige...

8 minutes ago, Padders said:

🎵

Land of hope and glory, mother of the free, 🎵