Are The Songs Land Of Hope And Glory And Rule Britannia Racist Propaganda?

6 hours ago, silverglade5 said:

'Snowflake is a 2010s derogatory slang term for a person, implying that they have an inflated sense of uniqueness, an unwarranted sense of entitlement, or are overly-emotional, easily offended, and unable to deal with opposing opinions.'

Yes, that's  what I meant, no revision required.

Exactly that but we know why you mentioned it, I still think you muddled up yer snowflakes

2 hours ago, Pettytom said:

History really isn’t based on facts.

It is based on interpretation of facts. Very different 

Indeed, the winners write the history

1 hour ago, tinfoilhat said:

I don't think the vast majority give a toss either way. Do it. Don't do it. Just get it of the front pages and more important things on it. 

The great unwashed only care when it's to have a go at those dastardly brown and black people

The very middle class establishment BBC demonstrates yet again just how out of touch it truly is. Working class people don't care about Rule Britannia or The Proms. They do care about funding an establishment elite who The Proms is for.

23 minutes ago, Car Boot said:

Working class people don't care about Rule Britannia or The Proms.

seems some apparently do...even if they dont watch it, they enjoy thinking theyre patriotic and jingoistic when told good old british traditions might be under threat

1 hour ago, Car Boot said:

The very middle class establishment BBC demonstrates yet again just how out of touch it truly is.

LOL, the BBC is out of touch because you believed an entirely fabricated story...

...wouldn't be the first time! :hihi:

1 hour ago, Car Boot said:

The very middle class establishment BBC demonstrates yet again just how out of touch it truly is. Working class people don't care about Rule Britannia or The Proms. They do care about funding an establishment elite who The Proms is for.

I thought you’d prefer The Red Flag.

"Rule Britannia

Two tanners make a bob

Three make one and six

And four two bob."

That's what we sang in the 60's.

And of course there's always

"We hate Nottingham Forest.............."

1 hour ago, Magilla said:

LOL, the BBC is out of touch because you believed an entirely fabricated story...

...wouldn't be the first time! :hihi:

Why did I supposedly believe an entirely fabricated story?

I did think that BBC bosses ('rooms full of very wealthy, middle class white men panicking that someone is going to think that they are racist') decided that middle class flag waving anthems should be performed as orchestral versions with no singing. I never thought these anthems would be banned by the BBC.

It's very surreal to see support for the orchestral versions coming from the BBC Director General, Baron Hall of Birkenhead (Commander of the British Empire) and funded by a compulsory 'tithe' under a Royal Charter – arguing that the BBC had come to the right conclusion on this.

This is the same man, the leader of YOUR BBC, who stated that the BBC taking on paying the TV Licences of the over 75's was "a strong deal for the BBC" which gave the BBC "financial stability". 

How can anyone trust the BBC to tell the truth about anything?

Edited by Car Boot

This is not another thread about the TV  license, it’s also not an excuse to moan about the BBC in general.

Back on topic.

Edited by nikki-red

37 minutes ago, Car Boot said:

How can anyone trust the BBC to tell the truth about anything?

Because by and large they're considered to be a trustworthy source of information.

12 hours ago, Car Boot said:

Why did I supposedly believe an entirely fabricated story?

I did think that BBC bosses ('rooms full of very wealthy, middle class white men panicking that someone is going to think that they are racist') decided that middle class flag waving anthems should be performed as orchestral versions with no singing. I never thought these anthems would be banned by the BBC.

Which bosses? The exec (8 females out of 18), the board (5 females out of 13) or the commercial board (3 females out of 10)

20 hours ago, julado said:

I'm pretty sure the Albert Hall faithful will still sing it.  They'll hold Zoom parties and all sing together.  

As an aside....there was a guest on the TV chat show earlier who had obviously just picked up on the "S" word....and that is why he wasn't happy that the song is allowed to be sung at all. He made the mistake of bringing Ireland into the equation - saying that what  Northern Irishman would want to sing the National Anthem given the history. Mmmmm, wrong example to give. The presenter (Irish)....read the words to the Irish National Anthem which also contains the "S" word........and said that all National Anthems are patriotic to the cause - understandably.   This is nothing but a diversionary tactic from the government to cover over the shoddy way they are dealing with the current situation.....oh look....there's a squirrel!  SQUIRREL!

Talking of diversionary tactics, I remember a joke about the PM - (or insert your current disliked VIP/football manager/entertainer et al!) - hosting a high-level dinner at some 5* establishment, standing to welcome the throng but suddenly realising that his trouser zip had burst. In an effort to avoid acute embarrassment, he excitedly yelled "Look, everyone! Look at the window!"

Outside were two dogs...