Are The Songs Land Of Hope And Glory And Rule Britannia Racist Propaganda?

I put a question mark in the title after reading the article below, why do people want to whitewash (can I say that?) our history. 

The BBC is said to be considering dropping the anthems from the concert on September 12 amid fears of criticism in the wake of the Black Lives Matter movement because of their apparent links to colonialism and slavery.

Professor Kehinde Andrews of Birmingham City University claims two anthems are 'racist propaganda'  

One musician suggested replacing the songs I Vow to Thee My Country or The Beatles' All You Need Is Love;

These two songs are sung with pride and enthusiasm at the Last night of the Proms and we have the BBC considering dropping the songs just to appear PC.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8657909/Academics-demand-Rule-Britannia-Land-Hope-Glory-BANNED-Night-Proms.htm

I'll bet you any money you like they won't get banned. They are jingoistic nonsense but not likely to be banned any time soon.

It's worth noting that they weren't played in 2001 and the country didn't collapse.

There's also not going to be a live audience at this years proms so there won't be images of drunk people wearing union jack waistcoats bobbing up and down to the bits they can remember that you can join in with unless you watch a previous year's concert on YouTube.

How many people complaining about this suggestion know all the words to both songs?

They aren’t particularly edifying songs, are they? I wouldn’t call them racist, but they are certainly jingoistic.

I don’t think that the country would be any the poorer if we chose some more pleasant songs to celebrate our nation.

However, this has all the hallmarks of another piece of misdirection as the powers that be try to use statues and song lyrics to distract us from more important stuff, like poverty, lack of opportunity and racism. Don’t fall for it.

The BBC is not fit for purpose anymore, The presenters are on MEGGA money and some think they are Gods

Stop funding them and stop the licence fee ASAP

Edited by barry-333

9 minutes ago, barry-333 said:

The BBC is not fit for purpose anymore, The presenters are on MEGGA money and some think they are Gods

Stop funding them and stop the licence fee ASAP

Wrong thread.

The Ann Widdecombe memorial thread is down there ¥¥¥. Just ask Booty.

Edited by Pettytom

1 hour ago, Pettytom said:

However, this has all the hallmarks of another piece of misdirection as the powers that be try to use statues and song lyrics to distract us from more important stuff, like poverty, lack of opportunity and racism. Don’t fall for it.

A case of 2+2 = 7.5

Comments by the conductor, not the BBC, twisted into clickbait to get the usual faces all red and sweaty.

8 minutes ago, West 77 said:

The BBC have changed their mind which is good news.

Speaking of which ;)

The BBC haven't "changed their mind", how do you change your mind from something you were never going to do in the first place?

9 minutes ago, West 77 said:

No they are not. If you don't like the words then don't listen to them. The BBC have changed their mind which is good news.

It’s really not that simple, at least to those who think about things carefully.

Currently, the BBC are going to broadcast the music, but not the words. So nobody will have to decide whether to listen to some outdated imperial nonsense, or not.

If the orchestra is going to play Land of Hope and Glory and Rule Britannia I would assume the audience will be singing like gusto as per normal, so how does the BBC plan to edit out their words but keep just the music?   Or is the music going to be a prior recording and not live ?

1 minute ago, Phili Buster said:

If the orchestra is going to play Land of Hope and Glory and Rule Britannia I would assume the audience will be singing like gusto as per normal, so how does the BBC plan to edit out their words but keep just the music?   Or is the music going to be a prior recording and not live ?

Playing Land of Hope and Glory and Rule Britannia is likely to appeal to an older audience, but will turn off the younger ones. This story has nothing to do with our history or racism, singing these songs is just a thing of the past.

15 minutes ago, West 77 said:

It's pretty simple. There will be no audience to sing along to the music this year which is why we will no hear the words. Hopefully next year the covid 19 won't prevent the live audience taking part as normal next year.  Nothing nonsense about people who still have pride in their country and respect tradition.  What is nonsense is those who seek to to stop others enjoying an annual event by attempting to ban traditions British songs.

Who is trying to ban anything?