Has Anyone Taken Their Driving Test At The Middlewood Test Centre Recently?

If you took your driving test at Middlewood test centre recently, which reverse manoeuvre did you do?  

2 members have voted

1. 1. Which reverse manoeuvre were you asked to do on your driving test?

• Bay park
    • Parallel park
    • Reversing on the other side of the road

I've got a test upcoming at the Middlewood Test Centre. My instructor told me that you usually get the bay parking manoeuvre on your test, as it's convenient to do in the test centre car park, but I wondered if that's changed recently. Has anyone had a manoeuvre other than the bay park?

And if you have taken your test recently - especially during COVID times - how have you found it? Was anything radically different in the test itself?

Back in the dark ages when I did my test there every participant did a bay park as  a final move at the end of the test.

However I also during the test had to do a parallel park on some residential street around the corner.

To be honest, if you are concerned about which manoeuvre you will get I would think carefully about whether you are sufficiently prepared and ready for the test by your instructor.  The fact is that you should be confident in performing all or any of those three maneuvers as it may come dependent on your examiner

Edited by ECCOnoob

Same as ECCOnoob, I had to reverse round a corner, then also bay park at the end.

I totally agree with the rest of the post too.

1 hour ago, ECCOnoob said:

Back in the dark ages when I did my test there every participant did a bay park as  a final move at the end of the test.

However I also during the test had to do do a parallel park on some residential street around the corner.

To be honest, if you are concerned about which manoeuvre you will get I would think carefully about whether you are sufficiently prepared and ready for the test by your instructor.  The fact is that you should be confident in performing all or any of those three maneuvers as it may come dependent on your examiner

My daughter is taking lessons at the moment, if she was told she was 'test ready' and asked me the OPs question, my reply would be more or less the same as yours. If you're test ready, it shouldn't be a worry for you. I know it's easy to say but if you've done the training and are confident on the day, you shouldn't have any problems.

Good luck with it.

I passed years ago however TBF to the OP, back then I was told I was test ready in all areas but I still had nerves and there's always one thing a learner worries about the most. 

For reference I passed my drivers with only 3 minors. I've since gone on to pass my PCV, again with 3 minors, although bay parking a bus is a little more tricky 😂

15 hours ago, ECCOnoob said:

if you tell the instructor you can not Parallel park or Bay park then I am sure that they will only ask you to do the reversing on the other side of the road.

BTW please do not park next to my car in Tescos

Of course you could simply follow the excellent advice from ECCOnoob and delay taking your test until you are able to drive

Edited by Bigal1
missed out a line

I think I did all three on my second test (not at your test centre but let's face it, it's not going to vary much is it).

Guest busdriver1
21 hours ago, Resident said:

I passed years ago however TBF to the OP, back then I was told I was test ready in all areas but I still had nerves and there's always one thing a learner worries about the most. 

For reference I passed my drivers with only 3 minors. I've since gone on to pass my PCV, again with 3 minors, although bay parking a bus is a little more tricky 😂

Really? I actually found reverse parking a bus into a bay to be really easy compared to a car. Thats me, your findings may be different of course.

On 23/08/2020 at 18:24, ECCOnoob said:

However I also during the test had to do a parallel park on some residential street around the corner.

My opinion too I'm afraid. 

I did my test back in the mists of time (the 80s) and as well as reversing around a corner into the vehicle entrance of a school as it turned out so there were hundreds of children in the way, I also did a genuine emergency stop on my test (after the test one) when a woman pushed a pram out in front of me from between parked cars.  I seem to recall both reverse parking and reverse bay parking on a multi-storey car park too.

If you're not ready to do all of the elements of the test you should be waiting to do it until you are. 

6 hours ago, busdriver1 said:

Really? I actually found reverse parking a bus into a bay to be really easy compared to a car. Thats me, your findings may be different of course.

It just took me a few tries more that the 2 other trainees when we were being taught but once I'd got it. I didn't feel ready for my test tbh as I'd missed a week of training due to illness so I was over the moon when not only did I pass but with the least amount of minors.