Tech Info Needed On Service Only Usb/Vga Etc

Could someone tell me why on some TVs /Projectors etc it says to be used by service tech only. Mainly on some of the USB/VGA sockets etc. Would these still be useable in some way. 

A lot of them would only work for diagnostics and/or firmware updates. The ones that look a bit like VGA are usually serial ports (if we're thinking of the same thing)

I don't have any that say 'service only' now, so can't answer the second part of your question. At a guess, no you can't use them for other functions.

Thanks Zach thought id asked still have a TV with USB thats says serice only and a few projectors with what i thought was a VGA socket. But not got them ones setup at moment to test anything. 

Thanks again

You might find that some projectors and TVs have several models with the same plugs and hardware. The cheaper versions could have different firmware installed which doesn't access the extra ports but the more expensive has all features working.

This way manufacturers can have models available at 2 or more price points and get more of the market while only requiring 1 manufacturing facility.

19 hours ago, muddycoffee said:

You might find that some projectors and TVs have several models with the same plugs and hardware. The cheaper versions could have different firmware installed which doesn't access the extra ports but the more expensive has all features working.

This way manufacturers can have models available at 2 or more price points and get more of the market while only requiring 1 manufacturing facility.

When that happens they normally omit the ports and rest of the needed components. Like the all in one PC I'm using now, it's got the pads for the components to add the optional discreet GPU and a TV I have that would be possible to add an extra HDMI port if I could get the firmware. 

Use to work in a place that made satellite receivers and was like that. The boards would come down on a production line and needed parts was added depending on model. Would be a waste of money and would add up to a lot if they just installed all parts and not using them/charging for them.