Pubs Closing Early Last Weekend - Willy Collins Funeral

5 hours ago, Sheffield Monks said:

I was told pubs around S12 did close early. Seems strange to me as the funeral was in S5.

I'd never heard of him either until recently. 

I didn't know we had a King of Sheffield and I've lived here all my life!

I would have said Pete Stringfellow as king of Sheffield biggest ego ever.

Never heard of him.  But that explains why we had a notification at work (from SYP) about the route of the procession because of the disruption it would cause when trying to do our jobs...

theres only one king in this city for me and that john burkhill,but ive never heard of this other person either,

11 hours ago, Becky B said:

Never heard of him.  But that explains why we had a notification at work (from SYP) about the route of the procession because of the disruption it would cause when trying to do our jobs...

Me neither.  Tell you what, there were many more hard men who'd have been up for "King".

Self proclaimed King of Sheffield by him and his followers most people never heard of him.

In fact if you google you get his conviction a couple of years ago.  nice bloke.

On 22/08/2020 at 19:15, Sheffield Monks said:

I was told pubs around S12 did close early. Seems strange to me as the funeral was in S5.

I'd never heard of him either until recently. 

I didn't know we had a King of Sheffield and I've lived here all my life!

funeral itself was in S5 but the 'procession' went through a number of areas including S4 and S9. 

i use the word procession loosely because from what i saw it was nothing but mayhem with horns blaring, cars being revved, and those idiots on the dirt bikes behaving like utter yobs and intimidating all other road users into submission.

never mind the blatant disregard for social distancing rules or limit on number of people allowed at a funeral, the brave officers of  SYP didn't even bother to impose traffic rules and instead hung so far back that they may as well have stayed at home with a cuppa and a biscuit in hand!!

On 23/08/2020 at 00:06, catmiss said:

The Collins family are a well known extended traveller family who have settled in Sheffield. I would imagine that traveller families from outside the Sheffield area would attend to pay their respects and arrange wakes in various areas of the city. I think the potential for trouble would have caused many pubs to close and the police to keep a low profile.

why would the police be "keeping a low profile"?

Apparently a pub in Hunter's Bar, which I won't name, was asked to close by police that night. They didn't give a reason.

If this was the reason why, then frankly I think it's apalling that a private event should lead to establishments having to close early, never mind those on the other side of the city. 

9 hours ago, nightrider said:

why would the police be "keeping a low profile"?

To avoid antagonising the crowd of mourners. I don’t know if anyone remembers a previous large gathering for a traveller funeral 2 or 3 decades ago. If I remember rightly police presence and pubs across holding wakes caused a lot of trouble. I think that individual was dubbed King of the Gypsies

The same rules should apply to everyone. No exceptions.

I agree but if we’d ended up with wide scale trouble the police would have been accused of being heavy handed. You’ve only to look at some of the news stories during lockdown where police have been castigated for enforcing policy and castigated for not doing so

On 24/08/2020 at 14:23, Cade Foster said:

Self proclaimed King of Sheffield by him and his followers most people never heard of him.

In fact if you google you get his conviction a couple of years ago.  nice bloke.

Just seen the report CF.  Salt of the earth, scamming pensioners for unnecessary roof job.