Pubs Closing Early Last Weekend - Willy Collins Funeral

Went past several pubs that were closed well before 11 last weekend that are normally still busy at midnight. Since heard from a couple of people it was due to a funeral on the other side of Sheffield. Anyone corroborate this or was there something else going off? Don't get why a funeral would force a load of pubs to shutm

Edited by nikki-red

Well this was the funeral.  Willy Collins, the 'King of Sheffield', apparently? 

https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/video-huge-turnout-lavish-funeral-king-sheffield-willy-collins-2943522

No idea why it would affect other parts of Sheffield other than those stated in the piece, Darnall, Pitsmoor & Shiregreen? 

Edited by Baron99

Never heard of him.

but if the city was flooded with travellers at a funeral, pubs probably didn't want all the trouble that those kind of events often bring.

It's been practice for years, any big traveller event and they ask the pubs to close.

Not sure if it's still the case but many years ago when we lived at Attercliffe the message was open at your own risk and don't call the police when it goes wrong.

Allied Snooker at Gleadless closed at 4.00 pm.  Usually open until 10.00.

I was told pubs around S12 did close early. Seems strange to me as the funeral was in S5.

I'd never heard of him either until recently. 

I didn't know we had a King of Sheffield and I've lived here all my life!

Exactly same here never heard of him until he passed. Don't know why the funeral got special treatment. 30 people allowed at funerals currently for tax paying law abiding citizens. 

I think it's got a lot of people quite cross about the number of people who were allowed to attend the funeral.

My friend passed away at the beginning of June due to the restrictions on numbers I had to watch the service online.

One rule for them one rule for the rest of us.

i was at my brothers funeral two weeks ago and there only 30 people allowed to attend this mob had dozens blocking roads off and at shiregreen they were setting smoke bombs off why was this allowed are the police scared of these people

I read online that Travellers in camps had to have huge bubbles because of shared facilities (it didn't go further than that) it could be a part of it.

I can't say I'd ever heard of this man who was apparently our "king" but going by the star you'd think he was known to half the city. Delusional comes to mind.

I find it a bit disturbing that police feel the need to ask pubs to close because of a private funeral, especially when it includes pubs on the other side of the city. 

Edited by Colin Foster

The Collins family are a well known extended traveller family who have settled in Sheffield. I would imagine that traveller families from outside the Sheffield area would attend to pay their respects and arrange wakes in various areas of the city. I think the potential for trouble would have caused many pubs to close and the police to keep a low profile.