South Yorkshire Bus Service Needs Improvement

1 minute ago, HeHasRisen said:

Not anymore. Covid has changed working patterns forever imo.

I agree with that statement - sadly - but my question was about pre-Covid loadings

2 hours ago, sheflad said:

Except they do where as before the 52 would be each every 5 minutes since the partnership started they now operate every 10 minutes combined so you’ll get a first 52A then 10 minutes later a Stagecoach 52 and so on. Before the partnership you’d have a 52A every 5 minutes and a Stagecoach 52 every 5 minutes too.

I am thinking not about when the service is running fine but when one or both operators have problems. Then the is no coordination and cooperation visible 

10 hours ago, Andy C said:

Yorkshire Terrier introduced the 120 as a through service from Fulwood in competition, I suspect the number was an in joke at Terrier - it goes twice as far as the 60! Yorkshire Terrier is now Stagecoach.

Wasn't that SUT?  Burgundy and cream. Used to go through Manor Top and down City Road.

Guest busdriver1
56 minutes ago, BigAl1 said:

I am thinking not about when the service is running fine but when one or both operators have problems. Then the is no coordination and cooperation visible 

That is because even despite the Sheffield bus agreement, operators are not permitted to do that without legal permission to do so. The agreement is just that, an agreement to coordinate timetables on paper and no more. 

8 hours ago, Hecate said:

Wasn't that SUT?  Burgundy and cream. Used to go through Manor Top and down City Road.

IIRC, SUT were red and white,  were coach tour operators and didn't do stage carriage work.  I'm open to correction, though.

Edited by RollingJ

56 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

IIRC, SUT were red and white,  were coach tour operators and didn't do stage carriage work.  I'm open to correction, though.

SUT ran the 100, 110 and 120.  Probably more, but those are the ones I recall using in the late 80s as an alternative to the 95 to varying degrees. 

I'm remembering from a passenger's perspective, of course, so I only recall my bits of whatever the full routes were that they used to cover; but roughly that was Manor Top to city centre via City Road.  Seem to recall Halfway featuring in there as a destination. 

Here you go:

97 SUT SNS823W Leyland National NL116L11.1R ex Central Scottish

SUT SSF374H Leyland Atlantean PDR1A.1 Alexander J ex Lothian

5 minutes ago, Hecate said:

SUT ran the 100, 110 and 120.  Probably more, but those are the ones I recall using in the late 80s as an alternative to the 95 to varying degrees. 

I'm remembering from a passenger's perspective, of course, so I only recall my bits of whatever the full routes were that they used to cover; but roughly that was Manor Top to city centre via City Road.  Seem to recall Halfway featuring in there as a destination. 

As I suspected, SUT never ran stage carriage operations, and in any case were absorbed into NBC in 1974, so could not have run as 'SUT' anyway.

Link to one potted history: http://sheffieldunitedtourslimited.net/history.html

3 minutes ago, Hecate said:

Here you go:

97 SUT SNS823W Leyland National NL116L11.1R ex Central Scottish

SUT SSF374H Leyland Atlantean PDR1A.1 Alexander J ex Lothian

That is not the 'Sheffield United Tours' I was referring to, and I admit not recalling them. Any links to their history?

9 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

As I suspected, SUT never ran stage carriage operations, and in any case were absorbed into NBC in 1974, so could not have run as 'SUT' anyway.

Link to one potted history: http://sheffieldunitedtourslimited.net/history.html

Looks like we might be talking about different SUTs then.

Though apparently not, according to this article:

Sheffield United Tours (SUT)

To complicate matters further, a company which had ceased operating 20 years earlier, SUT (Sheffield United Tours) was relaunched operating from the neighbouring garage to SYT's East Bank Rd centre, and with early 1970s Daimler Fleetlines again, set its sights on duplicating the SYT route map. With some success, the company operated until the mid-1990s and were seen at the time as a possible real challenger to the SYT dominance.

Edited by Guest

10 hours ago, busdriver1 said:

That is because even despite the Sheffield bus agreement, operators are not permitted to do that without legal permission to do so. The agreement is just that, an agreement to coordinate timetables on paper and no more. 

My point exactly.

Right across the whole of the transport sector we see where the plans are for when things are running normally  and little thought to the practicalities 

when there are problems (as there will be)

Guest busdriver1
5 hours ago, RollingJ said:

We are - the ones you were referring to were a relaunch of the company 'name' - but not business - see section 1.4 of:https://uktransport.fandom.com/wiki/South_Yorkshire_Transport

I have read that now and boy did I laugh. 

It is wrong in soooo many ways. 

Sheffield Omnibus was NOT an attempt by Preston bus to move into the area. It was A company set up by ex staff from SYT and bought many buses from Preston so adopted their livery, they also set up operations in Chesterfield and Nottingham. These failed apart from S.O and that merged with Andrews buses and were bought out by Yorkshire Traction at the same time as they bought Yorkshire Terrier. These were then merged  and had the legal title of Andrews Sheffield Omnibus Co but Ran with Yorkshire terrier names on them.

SUT came about when the dealer for Neoplan coaches based at Hellaby bought out National Travel East from NBC and resumed the identity of its main constituent to launch some competitive bus services using the base at Charlotte road that was no longer used by coaches. They were bought out by Mainline through their low cost Unit Sheaf Line and eventually slowly merged into the main fleet.

There are far more operators to mention, many of them connected with one man who assumed many identities for his operations.