South Yorkshire Bus Service Needs Improvement

For gods sake, its a bus. For a short journey taking a few minutes. If you want luxury book a limo or something ffs.

6 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

For gods sake, its a bus. For a short journey taking a few minutes. If you want luxury book a limo or something ffs.

👍👍👍

8 minutes ago, dutch said:

Wow took a 75 down abbeydale RD today and it must be the most intense rattling bus ever been on, worse than an old cheap massage chair.

I used to like a good boneshaker ride, I can appreciate it can't be too much fun, if you've any skeletal, back issues or elderly

11 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

Yes it's a bus indeed just like the rattling ones I've been on in third world countries.

Don't recognise this - most buses in Sheffield are <7 years old.

58 minutes ago, driver151 said:

Right as i am still a current driver and work permanent nights i will have a look at your list, "

It's not meant as a dig at drivers, (I really don't know how you do it, it would bore me senseless), it's an observation about it not being a pleasant experience, as a totality. But most people zone out/stare at their phone, and put up with it because they have no choice.

Having said that, I had the unfortunate need to go on a long and particularly unpleasant route a few times, which was like torture - then one day, an excellent driver made it almost enjoyable, I complimented him to his surprise. So the driver can make a difference.

I don't expect to be uncomfortably cold on a bus, it's not addressed because no-one gives a damn. The drivers can do their bit by shutting the doors in cold weather.

Regarding rubbish and windows, that partly a design fault (no bins), and partly a nobody gives a damn fault. Would it be too much to ask for the drivers to pick up the cans rolling about in the cabin?

I think more similar routes in and out of a city would lead to a better service. All this zigzagging about isn't necessary.

CCTV - I know, it's unwelcoming intimidation, that's why it's unpleasant, just like the ones in supermarket entrances. You are being watched and recorded, we don't view you as a human allowed a bit of privacy as you travel. Give the driver a button to press if something needs recording

Never noticed a remain seated sign, it's certainly not the norm, I have tried it in the past, the driver doesn't always stop (despite pressing the button)

A National coach ride (apart from the ridiculously tight seat belts) on the same roads is a pleasant ride .. perhaps a bus company might consider this next time they splash out on a new bus.

Edited by fools

Just now, fools said:

It's not meant as a dig at drivers, (I really don't know how you do it, it would bore me senseless), it's an observation about it not being a pleasant experience, as a totality. But most people zone out/stare at their phone, and put up with it because they have no choice.

Having said that, I had the unfortunate need to go on a long and particularly unpleasant route a few times, which was like torture - then one day, an excellent driver made it almost enjoyable, I complimented him to his surprise. So the driver can make a difference.

I don't expect to be uncomfortably cold on a bus, it's not addressed because no-one gives a damn. The drivers can do their bit by shutting the doors in cold weather.

Regarding rubbish and windows, that partly a design fault (no bins), and partly a nobody gives a damn fault. Would it be too much to ask for the drivers to pick up the cans rolling about in the cabin?

I think more similar routes in and out of a city would lead to a better service. All this zigzagging about isn't necessary.

CCTV - I know, it's unwelcoming intimidation, that's why it's unpleasant, just like the ones in supermarket entrances. You are being watched and recorded, we don't view you as a human allowed a bit of privacy as you travel.

A National coach ride (apart from the ridiculously tight seat belts) on the same roads is a pleasant ride .. perhaps a bus company might consider this next time they splash out on a new bus.

A coach is not going to be compliant in terms of wheelchair users etc is it? Every coach I have got on has stairs and all buses are level access these days.  

4 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

A coach is not going to be compliant in terms of wheelchair users etc is it? Every coach I have got on has stairs and all buses are level access these days.  

That's avoiding my point - which is - the technology to make a coach/bus ride comfortable exists, and has done for a long time - so why not use that suspension and seating and heating and aircon and gearbox on a bus.

Black cabs too, horrible ride.

Edited by fools

22 minutes ago, fools said:

CCTV - I know, it's unwelcoming intimidation, that's why it's unpleasant, just like the ones in supermarket entrances. You are being watched and recorded, we don't view you as a human allowed a bit of privacy as you travel.

i do agree with some of your comments, but you dont see it from the inside i have been at the same depot now coming up 14 years, people want fancy buses well people need to use the ones now they dont see it as money well spent as in sheffield buses are not that profitable,

"Regarding rubbish and windows, that partly a design fault (no bins), and partly a nobody gives a damn fault. Would it be too much to ask for the drivers to pick up the cans rolling about in the cabin?"

Y should the driver do this we would be foreve in and out of the cab at times and then there will be people moaning we are spending more time cleaning than driving, and you do know y there are less bins, the reason is due to people thinking it was fine to put lit matches in them and braking them,

They put USB prots on them with the new shocking streetlites buses, they kept getting vandalised so they are now removing them once they are broke insted of replacing them, there isnt a money tree all this cost money,

Y dont you think they buy coachs for local buses?, one a coach tends to be bigger and longer so alot of rutes wont be able to be run, there less seats on a coach for a busy route than a normal decker and the cost again the money they cant just splach cash on coach after coach if no1 is usning them now it makes no sense

We ran the 265 which was a busy route, then stagecoach wanted to get the imput of the public in changing it and took everthing on board as a test to see if it would work, it change to the X2 it killed it and was changed a number of times after that to the point its not far off what it was before but people have given up on it and dont bother catching it anymore,

The public have to think when they make suggestion without knowing the inner workings

12 minutes ago, fools said:

That's avoiding my point - which is - the technology to make a coach/bus ride comfortable exists, and has done for a long time - so why not use that suspension and seating and heating and aircon and gearbox on a bus.

Black cabs too, horrible ride.

and due to the fact a local bus is low floored, i dont understand where you think the cash is coming from for thsese super nice buses is coming from? we are running at 75% still due to lack of drivers and there putting in to reduce night and sunday running by 20% in april, and with all this we dont have full buses, you do realise the price of a brand new bus is with all the mod cons you want is? and you want a fleet of them, New buses can cost anywhere from £90,000 to £290,000, depending on the type the type you want is the upper end for a fancy one if not more also depending on the make of bus

Edited by driver151
adding

There are two sides always, but surely the general customer experience should trump the difficulties, none of which seem insurmountable.

I'm not saying buy coaches now, I'm saying why does a bus design have to be uncomfortable and garish in 2022.

Why can't the last bus timetables sync with the last train etc... just needs more thought.

Edited by fools

God, its like flying with Ryanair and then moaning the seats arent as comfy as Virgin Atlantic.

Its a BUS. For a SHORT JOURNEY. Comfort costs MONEY. Who pays for this?

Edited by HeHasRisen