South Yorkshire Bus Service Needs Improvement

13 hours ago, busdriver1 said:

The system is flawed at best. It rarely works. I know that for a fact. As for UTC. traffic flows a lot better when they don't interfere. 

Again that is my personal experience and fact. 

No system is perfect.

As for them “interfering”, the UTC system controls most of the signals in the city, altering timing plans by time of day and day of week and giving bus and tram priority, all done automatically, so them “ interfering” is the default position all of the time.

If you are referring to times when the operators intervene and control signals directly. With the greatest respect to you and other bus drivers caught in any congestion, the UTC operators can see the full picture, all over the city via a network of cctv cameras, you can’t from the street. ( yes I know the bus operators have people in the control room)  The UTC operators have to deal with all traffic, not just buses.

Guest busdriver1
22 hours ago, Planner1 said:

No system is perfect.

As for them “interfering”, the UTC system controls most of the signals in the city, altering timing plans by time of day and day of week and giving bus and tram priority, all done automatically, so them “ interfering” is the default position all of the time.

If you are referring to times when the operators intervene and control signals directly. With the greatest respect to you and other bus drivers caught in any congestion, the UTC operators can see the full picture, all over the city via a network of cctv cameras, you can’t from the street. ( yes I know the bus operators have people in the control room)  The UTC operators have to deal with all traffic, not just buses.

Firstly, I am not now and have not for many years been a bus driver. (Working in Sheffield cured me of that). When you have over 100 vehicles ( a few buses but mainly cars) Held up while another road is actually empty the controllers have got it wrong, badly. But hey Its you, I dont expect you to either acknowledge a problem or even accept the authenticity of what I say That is your way.

Edited by busdriver1

5 hours ago, busdriver1 said:

Firstly, I am not now and have not for many years been a bus driver. (Working in Sheffield cured me of that). When you have over 100 vehicles ( a few buses but mainly cars) Held up while another road is actually empty the controllers have got it wrong, badly. But hey Its you, I dont expect you to either acknowledge a problem or even accept the authenticity of what I say That is your way.

Nobody gets everything right absolutely all the time. UTC operators are no exception. To expect anything different is unreasonable in my opinion.

I don't know the particular circumstances you mention, but, sometimes they do have to hold traffic at a location to prevent blockage  further along the network. Occasionally (usually for emergency services) they sometimes have to clear out a route completely so for example a fast ambulance doesn't get held up all the way to the hospital. That means drivers can be held up for a few minutes at a location they wouldn't normally get delayed, and they may not be able to see any reason for it.

Just because you've experienced one instance (or even a few instances) when you got delayed and there wan't any explanation for it, doesn't mean the whole system (or its operators) is useless  or doesn't work correctly.

Our local, Lower Walkley, well utilised, 31 half hourly  service was withdrawn and replaced by First hourly 135 service which not only bypasses the main area of need but originates in Rotherham so stands no chance of being on time. Unsurprisingly passenger numbers have fallen no doubt giving SYPT concluding the service is no longer needed

Guest busdriver1
11 hours ago, Planner1 said:

Nobody gets everything right absolutely all the time. UTC operators are no exception. To expect anything different is unreasonable in my opinion.

I don't know the particular circumstances you mention, but, sometimes they do have to hold traffic at a location to prevent blockage  further along the network. Occasionally (usually for emergency services) they sometimes have to clear out a route completely so for example a fast ambulance doesn't get held up all the way to the hospital. That means drivers can be held up for a few minutes at a location they wouldn't normally get delayed, and they may not be able to see any reason for it.

Try explaining to me why traffic got held for 25 minutes round the meadowhall ring road while traffic coming from brightside was virtually non existent. ( the only reason for it getting held there would be to clear traffic from brightside).  The were over 10 buses with passengers on stuck there never mind at least a hundred cars. Not acceptable under any circumstances. 

Some cars managed to escape through the car parks but the buses remained trapped as did most of the cars. 

This happened 3 days in a row at exactly 16.30 ( coincidentally the time the bus company officer left UTC)  and on the 3rd day the bus operators just missed out meadowhall. Hardly satisfactory. 

7 hours ago, catmiss said:

Our local, Lower Walkley, well utilised, 31 half hourly  service was withdrawn and replaced by First hourly 135 service which not only bypasses the main area of need but originates in Rotherham so stands no chance of being on time. Unsurprisingly passenger numbers have fallen no doubt giving SYPT concluding the service is no longer needed

If it was well utilised then it would have made money or at least covered it's operating costs and not been withdrawn. ;)

Is Lower Walkley estate agent speak for somewhere a bit less desirable? 🤔

3 hours ago, HeHasRisen said:

Stop trolling, fool... I grew up in lower Walkley and now live on the 135 Bus route going through S3.

Still calling people names? Have you learnt nothing from yesterday when all your insults and racism got deleted?

Guest busdriver1
5 hours ago, Resident said:

If it was well utilised then it would have made money or at least covered it's operating costs and not been withdrawn. ;)

It was re-routed missing out large parts of Lower Walkley because of the inconsiderate parking of local residents. Given that the buses used were of a smaller dimension than a fire engine lets hope they are not called upon to visit that area in an emergency.

On 22/05/2021 at 06:29, Resident said:

Unfortunately many of the users were elderly or disabled so held passes for free travel which was deemed to make the service uneconomical . When the service was under review many  users/ pass holders offered to pay towards the cost but this was deemed administratively unviable. Consequently many in the area are left unable to negotiate the steep hills to access alternative routes planners identify. 

On 22/05/2021 at 07:11, HeHasRisen said:

Not sure what you mean by that! But if a local you’d know that the term applies to anything below South Road. Area comprises of owner occupiers, private rented and  social housing. Does ‘less desirable’, which I don’t believe the area is, equate to less deserving of public transport ?