South Yorkshire Bus Service Needs Improvement

8 hours ago, Planner1 said:

First thing in the morning on weekdays the enforcement officers tend to be concentrating on the main transport corridors and school entrances.

There are less CEO’s than many people might think and they are spread across three shifts per day. 

But they're also supposed to respond and place them "at sites where multiple complaints have been made but we just don't, even when WE tell the bosses" - A quote from a Sheffield CEO I spoke to.

SCC are FULLY aware of the issues on the Wicker on a daily basis, I know from bus operators that they regularly complain but SCC only send CEOs down once in a blue moon then make a big song and dance about it. They'll do a couple of hours of enforcement and the area is cleared for that day. Following day, back to business as usual with car on the pavement, bus stops etc. 

It's such a problem that SCC needs to get over themselves and this reluctance to use camera enforcement and get it installed. The system would pay for itself in days. 

And to relate it to topic, maybe, due the issues that blockages on Wicker caused by it being a free for all, just maybe the operators should abandon the routes and the use of Wicker & use the buses and staff to improve other routes where the inhabitants behave. ...

Edited by Resident

50 minutes ago, Resident said:

And to relate it to topic, maybe, due the issues that blockages on Wicker caused by it being a free for all, just maybe the operators should abandon the routes and the use of Wicker & use the buses and staff to improve other routes where the inhabitants behave. ...

One problem I see there - The Wicker is a corridor to many places that do behave, yes, there are possible diversions - unless they have been closed for 'efficiency' reasons, but they would extra mileage and costs. See your point, though.

2 hours ago, Resident said:

But they're also supposed to respond and place them "at sites where multiple complaints have been made but we just don't, even when WE tell the bosses" - A quote from a Sheffield CEO I spoke to.

SCC are FULLY aware of the issues on the Wicker on a daily basis, I know from bus operators that they regularly complain but SCC only send CEOs down once in a blue moon then make a big song and dance about it. They'll do a couple of hours of enforcement and the area is cleared for that day. Following day, back to business as usual with car on the pavement, bus stops etc. 

It's such a problem that SCC needs to get over themselves and this reluctance to use camera enforcement and get it installed. The system would pay for itself in days. 

Not sure I agree on the "pay for itself in days" but I certainly agree with the principle. Could do with it outside the gaming lounge and tattoo place on Commercial St, although not hard to find the pavement parking culprits there, they work in the gaming lounge and tattoo place....

23 minutes ago, Bargepole23 said:

Not sure I agree on the "pay for itself in days" but I certainly agree with the principle. Could do with it outside the gaming lounge and tattoo place on Commercial St, although not hard to find the pavement parking culprits there, they work in the gaming lounge and tattoo place....

On Commercial St, the Council can’t enforce against them as they are not contravening an enforceable restriction.  What the Council need to do is introduce a restriction that can be enforced, which takes time, money and will.

3 hours ago, Resident said:

Other than parking in a bus stop covered by a bus stop clearway, or an enforceable school entrance marking, parking contraventions can’t be enforced by camera. The tickets must be issued by a CEO in person.

Thats how the government wants it to be. Councils used to be able to enforce some parking contraventions by camera but the government changed the rules and stopped it.

4 hours ago, Resident said:

Again, a single CEO is not going to be aware of all the complaints and requests that come in, or the nuances of priorities, policies and political decisions. The CEO’s often have their own opinions on enforcement priorities and it’s right that they express them to their managers and get explanations. But, the decision aren’t theirs and they don’t always agree with them.

Of course SCC will be aware of the issues at Wicker. But, they are similarly aware of many many other issues and priorities all over the city that they have to deal with on a daily basis, with limited resources. That usually means that they can’t offer enforcement at a single location on a semi permanent basis. Most places will only get occasional enforcement. That is the reality of the limited resources they have and the many and often conflicting demands put on them.

Why would people need to park near the gaming lounge at the bottom of Commercial St? It's literally 5 seconds from the Ponds Forge Tram stop!

On 16/05/2021 at 08:43, busdriver1 said:

As for priorities at lights. NO buses in Sheffield have traffic light tags. NONE. Traffic lights in bus lanes are normally triggered by load sensors in the road but utc can and do override these.  

They don’t have tags because they aren’t needed. Neither are what you refer to as “load sensors” ie buried vehicle detector loops.

The buses have on board gps tracking, which links to the Council’s urban traffic control computer, which gives them priority at signals if they are running behind schedule.

7 minutes ago, Mr Allen said:

Why would people need to park near the gaming lounge at the bottom of Commercial St? It's literally 5 seconds from the Ponds Forge Tram stop!

Wouldn’t you like to be able to park for free right outside your workplace? 

2 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

They don’t have tags because they aren’t needed. Neither are what you refer to as “load sensors” ie buried vehicle detector loops.

The buses have on board gps tracking, which links to the Council’s urban traffic control computer, which gives them priority at signals if they are running behind schedule.

Wouldn’t you like to be able to park for free right outside your workplace? 

1) I don't drive due to disability

2) Even if I did drive, I still wouldn't take the car in Town due to the price/lack of availability of local parking.

1 hour ago, Mr Allen said:

I still wouldn't take the car in Town due to the price/lack of availability of local parking.

You asked why the folk were parking on the footway in Commercial St.

You just answered your own question. The park there because it’s outside where they work and they can do so for free.

Guest busdriver1

The system is flawed at best. It rarely works. I know that for a fact. As for UTC. traffic flows a lot better when they don't interfere. 

Again that is my personal experience and fact. 

10 hours ago, Planner1 said:

On Commercial St, the Council can’t enforce against them as they are not contravening an enforceable restriction.  What the Council need to do is introduce a restriction that can be enforced, which takes time, money and will.

They couldn't enforce it on Sheaf St but they still found a way to stop it until the legal process finalised.